LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

late bloomer, oh well, gotta hay horses soon

Edited by LedFTed
got to
  • Haha 1

Hard to imagine jockeys on computers, we are regular people, just smaller.LOLS

like to ride hard dont eat as much. cept you got chummers. lol too. fish knows about that. a guy that chucks bait, but rides the ponies. 😀

Edited by LedFTed

sorry, i was on a roll

Edited by LedFTed
same as always

On 2/28/2020 at 12:29 AM, retro said:

Yep, SSD = Solid State Drive. XFS is the best filesystem to provide both speed and enterprise-grade reliability. You may have been thinking about UDev... the linux block device manager...?

i run ext 4, i dont know what the xfs file system is. i gotta check my thread at the Ubuntu forum. got enough case's, i can design my own. i gotta think about it. highest power supply i got is 500w. not sata ready. what do ya need for ssd, at least 1t, 8gb or more memory, and i5-i7 processor? 500w-? on the power supply. plus i'm going 64 bits.  //ed

Edited by LedFTed
not enough words

EXT4 is a good filesystem, but its not as fast as XFS is and its not crash-tolerant like XFS is.

2 hours ago, retro said:

EXT4 is a good filesystem, but its not as fast as XFS is and its not crash-tolerant like XFS is.

how many watts do i need on power supply, an im going 64 bits[got too] just got ta pick out a motherboard.

Power supply capacity is dependent on total power consumption by CPU, peripherals etc. All installed devices in other words. Nowadays 500 watts covers most desktop systems easily... but not all. You'll have to decide what you will need after you choose all of the components that you want to include.

Ted when you format a hard drive when installing a Linux system there are numerous choices which file system to use.  There are the ext. choices which you are using and the XFS should also be an option to use in the drop down options.  That's when you chose to use the XFS file system when formatting...

• Like 2

been doing comparisons between amd an intel processors. not much difference that i can tell. i just get online anyway. maybe core i3, is good enough. 

On 2/29/2020 at 5:15 AM, retro said:

When i was doing multi drive research, maybe UEFI was what i was thinking. you could put multiple systems on drive. microsoft is limited to 4 primary partitions, then extended, or

this file system, ya could put many OS's on.

Yep, an UEFI partition is used to extend or replace the PC BIOS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

An Intel i3 class CPU should be powerful enough for a basic Internet box. If you are planning on running MS Windows or VMs in Virtual Box on Linux you'll need lots of RAM. A dedicated (either on-board or addon card) graphics/video card with its own dedicated video memory is a sound investment too.

Beware that all Intel CPUs have several processor/cache/memory security issues (Spectre and Meltdown) that cannot be fixed due to their design. Even the newest high end Intel CPUs are vulnerable (javascript on a malware web page can be used to read protected data from memory) to attack. Firmware patches thus far have not solved those problems, they just made Intel CPUs slower performers. Most modern AMD CPUs do not have those types of security problems. Another Intel annoyance is their TDP power consumption ratings that they publish for their CPUs, they are not honest (lowballed) like AMDs TDP numbers are. More info on Intel's Meltdown flaws is here:

https://community.centminmod.com/threads/intel-processor-flaw-kernel-memory-leaking-spectre-meltdown.13632/page-11#post-81827

So depending on the platform you are building an AMD CPU and motherboard might be the wiser choice. Do your CPU research and performance-per-dollar-spent comparisons before committing on blind faith to an Intel board.

4 minutes ago, retro said:

Yep, an UEFI partition is used to extend or replace the PC BIOS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

An Intel i3 class CPU should be powerful enough for a basic Internet box. If you are planning on running MS Windows or VMs in Virtual Box on Linux you'll need lots of RAM. A dedicated (either on-board or addon card) graphics/video card with its own dedicated video memory is a sound investment too.

Beware that all Intel CPUs have several processor/cache/memory security issues (Spectre and Meltdown) that cannot be fixed due to their design. Even the newest high end Intel CPUs are vulnerable (javascript on a malware web page can be used to read protected data from memory) to attack. Firmware patches thus far have not solved those problems, they just made Intel CPUs slower performers. Most modern AMD CPUs do not have those types of security problems. Another Intel annoyance is their TDP power consumption ratings that they publish for their CPUs, they are not honest (lowballed) like AMDs TDP numbers are. More info on Intel's Meltdown flaws is here:

https://community.centminmod.com/threads/intel-processor-flaw-kernel-memory-leaking-spectre-meltdown.13632/page-11#post-81827

So depending on the platform you are building an AMD CPU and motherboard might be the wiser choice. Do your CPU research and performance-per-dollar-spent comparisons before committing on blind faith to an Intel board.

i am doing that. i read long ago that AMD and linux didnt play well, also read today about [ Spectre and Meltdown], i have used AMD board before.

i dont like a virus or what ever program, that can slip around my weak security, so to speak. thats the answer im looking for.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, retro said:

Power supply capacity is dependent on total power consumption by CPU, peripherals etc. All installed devices in other words. Nowadays 500 watts covers most desktop systems easily... but not all. You'll have to decide what you will need after you choose all of the components that you want to include.

yep

AMD and Linux play very well together. In fact, AMD was the first 64 bit CPU to be ported into the Linux kernel. Me thinks someone might be wetting on your boots and telling ya its raining. 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retro said:

AMD and Linux play very well together. In fact, AMD was the first 64 bit CPU to be ported into the Linux kernel. Me thinks someone might be wetting on your boots and telling ya its raining. 🙂

it was a decade ago, maybe more, mostly less. ha ha ha

it was 2016 round about i discovered linux. well worth it, [the discovery]. in 2008 i bought 2 horse's,an atv, i dont remember which, was first, though i think it was the horses, i'm dedicated to both. got 1st. PC in 2000. window's 8. so that make's 3.,

i care about. when i can walk again, got sum sciatica, hunting will be added to the equation.

for now, a better operating system will do. i aint told ya about the one that got away, hunting.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

i got to understand usb3. a b c etc. plus drive widths for ROM. i just bought  LG 24x Super DVD writer / GH24 and Asus RW DVD multi- recorder, about a year ago. LG is still in the box. both are SATA. i need a DVD player. i dont see why i can't use one of those, since i got em any way.

As long as you have SATA connections on your motherboard you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

i may go with AMD equivalent of core i3.

Great choice!

The fastest cheap Intel i3 CPU is the quad (4 cores, 8 threads) Core i3 9100F priced at about $80 or so with cooling fan included. All Intel CPUs suffer with Spectre and Meltdown exploits. The Intel i3 9100F CPU is locked and cannot be overclocked.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-9100F-Desktop-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07R7Q3JZH

AMD has a brand new cheap CPU though, that does not suffer from Spectre and Meltdown exploits. Priced at about $85 with cooling fan included is the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF Hexacore (6 cores, 12 threads) CPU. The Ryzen 5 1600 AF (an underclocked ZEN+ Ryzen 5 2600 on 12nm die) stomps all over the little Intel i3 quad. The AMD is unlocked too, so it can be overclocked to 4 ghz safely with a tower cooler. Power consumption is about the same as the i3 but is more efficient since it has two more cores and 4 more threads than the i3.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28

A comparison of those two el-cheapo CPUs can be reviewed here:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1983-intel-vs-amd-budget-cpu-battle-2020/

51 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i got to understand usb3. a b c etc. plus drive widths for ROM. i just bought  LG 24x Super DVD writer / GH24 and Asus RW DVD multi- recorder, about a year ago. LG is still in the box. both are SATA. i need a DVD player. i dont see why i can't use one of those, since i got em any way.

Yes, you can use either one, or both of those DVD writers if your case has 5.5" drive bays.