LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

On 2/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, bcsman said:

Ted when you format a hard drive when installing a Linux system there are numerous choices which file system to use.  There are the ext. choices which you are using and the XFS should also be an option to use in the drop down options.  That's when you chose to use the XFS file system when formatting...

thankx for hanging in.

you guy's have been much help. i want to thank you all.  //ed

If you need any help finding a compatible case & power supply, graphics card, or a motherboard hollar!

i will let ya know. i can't remember where i placed the bookmark for Micro Center. My brain has a mind of it's own. 😃

so to speak. where ever i was, i could pick an choose what i want. Micro Center gets good review's.  //ed

guess i need some help. i cant find the place, or way i was shopping days ago. i had got up to 16 Gb memory, ssd 2t, hdd 480Gb.

motherboard,600 -700 w power supply. AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF Hexcore, for under $500, roundabout. yes, i need memory, maybe a case. i had 4 memory slots on motherboard. i think memory cards when up to DDR4 3600. i just get online. i cant game. i got past the 1st. level in Kirby once. i had enough. that was long ago. there are things important in life, gaming is not one to me. had to much grease on my hand's. rust in me eye, knuckle busters. LOLS. i want to spend about $500 if i can. 🙂

I don't think you can get all of that + graphics card for $500 delivered. Lets break it down and figure out your storage needs first of all, so we can learn where to trim costs. You mentioned a 2 Terabyte SSD + a 480 gigabyte hard drive.... can you explain why you need to config like that? Would a 500 GB SATA III SSD drive + 1 TB hard drive (for backups?) suit ya just as well? How many OS'es are you planning on running? Are ya gonna dual-boot or run VMs, or both? What are you planning to do with the 2nd drive?

i dont need that. i got 2gb memory, an i can add 2gb more. i running just fine on my 2002 PC. Dell Optiplex 270.

my eyes were running bigger than my belly. the cmos dont keep time when im on the XP Pro Drive. probably because the clocks are out dated. Time works fine on my linux drive. i got 250 GBs on my Linux hdd drive. 120GB on XP hdd Drive. i can't play Game's. my eyes and hands wont let me. plus the background music stick's in my head. Still hear Mario music from 40 years ago.

shame FM went top 120. after 4 day's, i had to turn it off. plus its got so many commercials. when it first came out, it was good. FM has top 20 too. Google has top 5. 🙂 i miss the old day's some. Oh Well. They aint never coming back. Ha Ha

i'm done pretty much with window's. after xp, i didn't want to learn 7. i still go back to xp from time to time. its so slow.

Micro Center gets bad reviews also, found out last night.

Edited by LedFTed
just because

http://www.ecollegepc.com/ , i found this place among others today. AMD RYZEN 3 3200G $-Core 3.6GHz (4.0GHz Turbo)Socket AN

AMD Retail Boxed Fan That comes with CPU $0.0

ASUS B450M Prime-A CSM (AMD B450, HDMI, 6xSATA, M-2 4xDDR4

8GB (8GBx1) Crucial DDR4 2666Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty $4

2 TB 7200RPM 64MG Cache SATA3 6Gbps Seagate Barracuda; $64

1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps Seagate Barracuda $48

Onboard VEGA HD Video ( AMD 3200G,3400G CPU only; $0

i think the case is included.  was just over $550.

i couldn't find RYZEN 5 1600 AF Hexcore tonight.  way more then i need. they start at Ryzen 5 3200

i think the case comes with 2 optical bays i have too call the dealer ta find out

but i were just shopping            

The Ryzen 5 1600 AF is actually a Ryzen 5 2600 which are 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs. With the release of the 2nd gen Ryzen came a new X470 chipset to fully support the new features built in to the 2nd gen Ryzens. Although the 1st Generation Ryzen B350 and (updated) B450 chipsets both will work with the 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs (B350 chips must receive a BIOS update by the motherboard maker), their use for new builds is not recommended as those Chipsets are not as stable (and do not support the latest USB and PCIe standards) as the 2nd gen X470 is. In other words, older 1st gen chipsets were updated via BIOS software so they could support the newer 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs, which is a bandaid.... not an optimal solution.

Here are some links that explain how the Ryzen CPUs are different than the Intel hardware designs (and old AMD designs) that we are used to... in that feature support is now built in to the CPU by AMD, rather than added/provided via the chipset. This means that the CPU now carries all the relevant lanes for USB, SATA, NVMe, and PCIe general purpose use, with the chipset offering a few extra lanes and IO devices here and there. Chipset comparison links and general info are included here too. Note that chipsets starting with the number “3” are representatives of the first generation Ryzen and chipsets starting with the number “4” represent the second generation Ryzen CPUs, while chipsets starting with the number "5" support the third generation Ryzen CPUs.

https://www.shareus.com/am4-amd-chipsets-comparison-a320-b350-b450-x370-x470-x399-and-x570/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/6

An old article on the 1st gen chipsets:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2763-amd-chipset-comparison-x370-b350-a320

The http://www.ecollegepc.com/amdvalueseries.html site you found is offering integrated graphics G series Ryzens on 1st gen motherboards. If you want to build that type of system you can do it yourself cheaper than that website can sell it to you. I'll help ya if thats what you want. But since the 2nd generation Ryzen 5 1600 AF is priced cheaper than all of the 1st Gen Ryzens are, there is no longer any compelling reason to build that old platform.

Does your monitor have an HDMI input?

I will try to stitch together a basic X470 system to provide a baseline Desktop computer that you can modify to your liking over the next couple days. Lets see what can be got with only $500 nowadays.... 🙂

*** Don't buy this stuff, you can do even better! ***

This is a quick 'n dirty (medium performance gaming, high performance workstation, but affordable) rig that I spent about an hour on, adding parts to a Newegg shopping cart. Note that you can save money on the memory and video card that I have in this list.... I didn't try to research this stuff for cheapest cost vs performance, I just started clicking on stuff to fill a shopping cart.

I chose a relatively fast PCIe gaming video card, a 1 Terabyte NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 SSD drive (NVMe is much faster than SATA III SSD!!!) and 16 GB of DDR4 3200 memory. The case has a 450 watt power supply, two DVD drive bays, internal space for three 3.5" SATA drives + space for three 2.5" SSD drives, two front USB (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) ports + standard front audio ports. The motherboard has an X470 chipset to support the Ryzen 5 1600 AF along with all of the connectors and interfaces on the backplane that you'd expect to find on a modern board. The motherboard also has WiFi built-in along with gigabit ethernet. Look at the photos of the board at the link for more info...

This is a high performance desktop computer priced at about $557 (plus tax) delivered, that makes that cheap $606 Ryzen 5 3600G look like your old 2002 Dell. 🙂  Lets get started...

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

RAIDMAX Vortex V4 ATX-404WUP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model GAPR416GB3200C16ADC

XFX Radeon RX 550 DirectX 12 RX-550P2SFG5 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000 MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB)

This price for this system is about $557 plus tax shipped, but that price can be reduced to less than $500 delivered by spending more time shopping and buying a cheaper video card, cheaper, smaller NVMe SSD drive and cheaper (or less than 16 GB) DDR4 memory. You can also add a 2nd SATA III SSD drive and/or a SATA III hard drive if you wish to spend a bit for additional storage for backups or whatever.

Hopefully this example might provide ya a basis to build a good affordable computer off from...? Let me know how I can help ya.

EDIT: I replaced the DDR4 memory in the list as I had originally pasted the wrong link.

I dont know for sure what i want. The 2002 dell has about had it. a quite fan would be nice. 1 TB SSD 1st HD, about 500GB SSD or HDD, 8GB Memory/with slots for upgrading.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 sounds nice. i got ASUS monitor, i bought 3-4 years ago, it has HDMI and a red line down the middle. most the time it aint on page's, and when the red line is there i hardly notice. i think its LCD Monitor. i got rid or the old cathode monitor's. i dont game. Ya seen me type, my fingers go where they want, not were i want. i can spent some of my KY Derby money. no need in being frivolous. i hold a tight rein on my money. people should. High prices are because people dont respect their money.

best not get into politics. i got a hunting forum for that.

i got to get a new key board too. the ergonomic Microsoft one is 20 yrs old. the e key is losing the e. i wore it out. i guess you know which key is used the most. or which key i use the most.  Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A. they probably don't make anything like that anymore. i might have to go the straight Keyboard. i'll still misspell. 😀

got to. my sister is here gotta go

[email protected] ;they are into beta testing for linux , and have mac coming up. They are looking for linux testers. The sage is a dictionary. i used it all the time when i was using Window's XP. it helped me with my spelling. it close as i could get to help with Dyslexia. it was free back then maybe still is.

Edited by LedFTed
spelling

i only got 2 GB of memory on 2002 270 Optiplex Dell. 8GB would help

the one that has the green chevron's is easier on the eye's, they dont light up do they? i can unplug the led

Edited by LedFTed
forgot comma

Yeah, you don't have to plug power into the LEDs in the case, leave them off. Buying 8 GB of memory rather than 16 GB saves money that can go for a new keyboard and wireless mouse. Linux needs no more than 8 GB memory even while running a VM in Virtual Box.

It sounds like you may need a monitor too though? Have you tried to reset your monitor settings to their defaults in the setup menu, to see if that vertical red line goes away?

You can save money on the graphics card too, I added an old gaming card just because I was in a hurry filling the shopping cart. So ya might save $30 on the graphics card and still get something pretty decent. You can also alter the drives... maybe get a 500 GB NVMe or SATA SSD for the primary drive and get a 1 TB SATA hard drive for the secondary drive? Or you can omit a 2nd drive altogether... add one later on if you want to.

Another option, you can buy a used computer pretty cheap. Anything less than 3 or 4 years old should work fine for a long time. There is no upgrade path for your 2002 Dell though, replacement is your only option.

i never reset my monitor. i got it set up to where i like it, i can put up with red line. barely see the line, when i am on forum. i dont want to spend the time setting it up again,PITA.. i couldnt find that AMD Ryzen 1600 any cheaper[i still want it], best i could do was $5 higher than yours. my sister has got an account at amazon, that might help.

i didnt know about NMVe till now, i want that i believe, that's some card. My older Seagate 250GB, still works fine. that can be 1 drive. i can always replace it down the line.

maybe you can answer me this; are gaming boards faster? [i think they are, but dont have enough slots, in case i need something].

i havnt spent any of my Derby money. i hit it big last derby, but i dont see the need to spend  for a made  when i make one for myself. i just dont know what im shopping for.

You spent an hour the other day. ever time i look i spend two or more hours and if i do find something i forget to take notes. mostly  its if i do find something.

im gonna get that NMVe 1TB SSD. i seen some SSD NMVe's board's on epray. i cant bring myself to shop there much.  i kinda figured it was. i'll pull out the HDD's and send them to pillery, so she can practice with her hammer.lols

18 hours ago, LedFTed said:

are gaming boards faster? [i think they are, but dont have enough slots, in case i need something].

Motherboards? No, a workstation board should be just as fast as a gaming board of comparable quality and features with both types having the same chipset. Gaming boards may actually be slower in some categories, since they are made and marketed to be one-trick ponies. Gaming graphics cards are usually quite good quality though. Most of the good graphics cards take up two PCIe slots since the heatsink and fan add to their thickness.... so one slot usually gets covered up by the fan unless there is space on the motherboard to install the graphics card in the last PCIe slot.

How many PCIe slots would you like to have? Or how many spare PCIe slots might be a better question...? :-)

some boards only have one. least two should be more that enough. i got two pci express cards about a year ago, or more ago for sata ports, i may not need them now.

oh well!! live and learn. i probably used the wrong words. brb nature calls. i dont use to many slots. i was thinking of. those out dated gray cables to a drive of sorts. speaking of heat sinks, do i need some paste? i gotta think on that one. i want a tower that will out last me. though i might make another 20 years. maybe 30. my grandma lived to 92,  i had one great grandma made to 94 or was it 104. i still got the pencil somewhere. now where did i put it? oh well, bought it last year. i'm still looking for my tractor starter.the dyslexia is always here. when my mom crossed they [my siblings] turned the basement sideways, i just found the ring that need to be re-welded to the flywheel. i been up for 24 can't think straight. i'll think on this. the slot's.

1st. PC only had 7, or was it 6, was 20 years ago. i only used 3. 1 was for the telephone/internet. remember on phone internet. i could only 2,4 MBs at any given time. actually i dont remember that. it was more like Kb's, 2.4 is about right. lols ;~!}

Edited by LedFTed

i had been awake for a while the last time i posted on this thread. i have to look at USB, SATA, NMVe, and PCIe. is a lot to think on. ;~}

Google is turning red, used to be black. cookie's. red means not secure, black secure. probably an illusion anyway. aint nothing secure online. need VPN in VR.

Gotta get PPA Mono 6.6 so i can test Sage with Linux.  

Edited by LedFTed
spelling

The only remaining secure mainstream CPUs not effected by Spectre, Meltdown and LVI exploits are ARM and AMD Zen2 models. All Intel x86 CPUs are easily hacked, useless garbage now. Landfills will be filling with them soon as folks realize that microcode patches leave them with expensive crippled processors that perform no better than a 1996 Pentium 100, that can bought on ebay for $5 shipped. LOL

Actually the Ryzen 5 1600 AF that I advised and all of the Ryzen 2000 series CPUs are Zen+, not Zen2. You don't get Zen2 until you get into the 3000 and higher series CPUs.

But Ryzen 5 Zen+ CPUs do not have the Intel Spectre and Meltdown1 flaws and Zen+ have already been patched for the Meltdown2 exploit. Zen+ is not flawed with the latest LVI exploit either. So all AMD Zen+ CPUs are good to go and are excellent performers. They're cheaper than Intel too.

i misread read the article some, well come to my world.[dyslexic]LOL i noticed 3000. if i got to spend sum more, so be it. [sum is a pun]. seen a perixx ergonomic 51211w. my key board is pitched at about 15 degree's. i need a little more, maybe 30 to 40 degree's. i'm talking about how you hold your hands not how high it is in the back. i dont like the 2 piece keyboard's.