LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Ted.  All I got for you on this one is moral support.  If it were me I’d go by a new Mac desk top.  

i head a different drummer. linux. if i but a mac, i'd be conventional. i dont know how to do that. besides that, i could get nowhere close to a new Mac, for what i'm spending. remember that horse that one the ky derby a few years ago. he sold for $14,000.oo, as a yearling, or two year old. all the other horses cost way much more. some sold for a million at that age. Maybe Calvin rode him, from Louisiana.

bought the GDDR5 card i mentioned. i been stretching this hunt out some, but i am in uncharted territory. 

Edited by LedFTed
just because
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:00 AM, retro said:

I found that video card on EVGA website. It is a single slot card after all. Has two DVI-D connectors. Check your monitor... I'll bet ya got a DVI input port on it.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6338-KR

i had another Duh!! moment, my dell PC is connected by DVI-D to the monitor i think. y'all might think i'm slow, but i got a bullet workout at Churchill downs, in 3/8., 34.7. best of the day..., and got 44 stops down to 0 a night, at bowling alley i worked when i was decades younger, but didn't know the name's of machine part's till many year's later., and you cant draw SS, without paying tax's, and, that is taxable. just having a moment, mostly, but now i'm done.

i get the hiccups, when i lose or gain weight. just a formality. i weighted in at 128.3 this morning, just 5 or so to go. i forgot why i needed jeans with more loops in the back for support, but just one aint enough. i'd druther not wear the belt, its not like i will ever have plumbers butt. (joking a crack here, or is it cracking a joke)IDK. i got a new pair of jeans with a 29 waist i bought years ago. 29x29. i want to wear them. save my 30x30 jeans for my lj's in winter.

7 loops for a belt in a pair of pants. that would work. but why is pant's called a pair, if it is only one? is it called a pant if one leg is missing? least you wouldn't have to worry bout about a zipper if ya bought a pant. no matter if ya bought a left or right pant.

the japs, (no malice intended), invented underwear, for long trips on business, least one did. it had three legs. the ideal was to make it last one week.

the 1st day you wore it, the 2nd, just move it over 1 leg, the 3rd day the same, just move it over 1 leg, then you reverse it, or inside out, an move it over one leg at a time. last 6 days. Well, i would make a comment, but i cant say enough. ;~}

• Like 1

i messed up on my linux version, so i might not be here for a while. i just got in through a back door so to speak. how i can restore is my mistake.

is a different problem, and has nothing to do with i have posted so far.

Edited by LedFTed

Welp, wish ya good luck!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, retro said:

Welp, wish ya good luck!

i got some of it back, takes me to the beginning, so to speak. ya wouldn't believe how many blue screens i seen with 98 windows. i got back though.

Ya shouldnt dabble in the registry, unless ya know what your doing. i still dont know, but i do it anyway. i got my bottom tool bar back. dont yet look like it did for i messed it up, but is better. whatever it is, im still working on it. too many irons in the fire. small fire, many iron's. ;~}

Edited by LedFTed

14 hours ago, retro said:

Welp, wish ya good luck!

i got stuck on some kind of Quote thing, and here i am. might as well say something, and i did. it had an x button, but didnt work.

Edited by LedFTed
X button didn't work

On 4/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, Fishfiles said:

Louisiana jockeys.  Have taken a few fishing.  

did ya have many that chucked bait, or just the one?

i'm done shopping PC parts. i went over my $500.oo budget. i blame the virus, shortage of parts, and perhaps a bit of price gouging. of course i'm not to blame any. lol anyway i thought to post my list of parts. i hope i dont need help with Linux.

$132.oo MSI Gaming Plus Max MB

$137.oo Rocket Q 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe SSA Drive

$135.oo EVGA Supernova 80+Gold 650w Full Mod PSU

$80.oo Crucial 16(2x8) 3200 Memory

$94.oo Be Quite 600 Pure Base Mid Tower Case

$100.oo Ryzen 5 1600AF

$100.oo EVGA GDDr4 Graphics card 

____

$778.oo

i could have gone less expensive, but i could never buy this for the price already built in a store. i already got 2 RW drives to add to the mix. the price includes shipping and tax's.

anyway, this will get me by for a while, an it can be upgraded should i need to, which i dont think will happen. lols

the has been the longest shopping trip i ever been on. i think it started in march before the virus was news. i learned a few things about computers, and some other things.

Taiwan, is made of free china, of some fraction thereof, not red china.

Edited by LedFTed
math
  • Like 1

That'll probably work! 😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retro said:

That'll probably work! 😀

i hope so. 😁

i used PC Part Picker in the process.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

i ordered the Be Quite, 601 case, and when i realized it was the wrong one ordered the 600 case. just in case you shop, i needed least 2,  5.25 bays, the 601 didnt have those. the 601 case is a moose of a case, an weighs 27 lbs. i dont remember if its mid tower, but way more than i wanted. the box that it came in is above my knee, working towards my belt line. the PC case is close, an is above knee level to me. the 600 mid-tower should be plenty, an will weigh less.

i hope it dont go from one extreme to another as too big to too small. the 600 will still be heavy due to sound baffles in the case. IDK if i can stand the quite, but i was tying to eliminate fan noise. just might have to play some Led while online, if it gets too quite. Ramble On. i got to make my own grounding strap, no point in buying one that may not work. i have shot out a spark over 1/2 of an inch in the winter, an it was blue. spark plugs are not near as impressive as i am when shooting off sparks, or as painful. i dread the winter sometimes. too dry. i got plenty of copper wire, an will ground myself best as possible. just hope i am not to late,. i all ready touched some of the components before i found out about static electricity.

it might be OK. i still got a battery on a wireless phone that has been going since 2001. ever so often i have to charge it, least once every 6 month's. it has old phone numbers on it i might not want to forget.

i needed to get a body grounding strap for when i put the conglomeration together. i get the case maybe saterday. i looked at grounding strap's and they want from $7 to $20 for most of them + shipping added. then with no warranty that they will work. i've never used one before, just touch the computer from time to time if i remember. i made my own for under $2 dollars. i cut the electric cords off of stuff, that is getting thrown away.. two prong plugs are fairly much useless, so i cut it off, then separated the cord to single wire, an stripped about 8" to make a circle of bare stranded wire an twisted the wire, soldered it in spots to keep the twist. i already had a clamp with a wire lug screwed on the clamp in case i might need it, and plan to hole the bare copper circle to my wrist with an ace bandage. no way this can go bad i think.

it was said you cant ohm out the one's ya buy because the voltages are so small that might damage an electrical component that ohms dont matter. some sites want you to buy a mat with your wrist device, and stand on it barefoot while you work, ever recommend you plug in the computer to make sure its grounded to earth, just dont turn it on. Not gonna happen. the guy[electrician] that wired up plugs in this basement had the greens right, but on a couple of places the black an white wires were on the wrong side of the plug. white is the ground in house wiring, black is hot. black is mostly the ground on 12v battery's for cars tractors maybe atvs. my dad had a tractor with a positive ground. the two tires in the front were close together. One time when i was mowing, i found a tire an rim out in the field, so i got off the tractor, an put it on the bush-hog. when i got back to the house, i showed my dad, he showed me the left front tire and rim was missing. 😀

i might found the tire an rim, but, i wasnt the one who didnt tighten up the lug nuts. ;~}

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

i had troubles of my own, or a would have posted this earlier. edit dont last long enough for me as some times it takes me months for i realize i made a mistake. i cant expect this forum to accommodate me + i could always ask someone, and thats enough for me. just sating, i really dont want to be a moderator. being the boss is not my style. come to think of it being an employee dont work for me neither. least an employee than dont have any input, just blindly follow.

i like it like that. dough day dough don toe, i like it like that, dough day dough don toe, i like it like that

some day i might be normal, i even roll my R's

DSCN0272.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
i had to add a funny

the 600 mid-tower case is plenty big enough., i thought it would be tight fitting stuff in it is not. i dont have any water cooled stuff to worry about.

now, for the funny stuff. i got it all together, except for two things., a CD ROM RW drive, and the power unit, PSU. i cant find the PSU lol, i dont know where its at. it's seemed to went the way of my starter for the 46 tractor. shista!! guess i'll be looking for it too.

• Haha 1

never did find the PSU, i ordered another one. i still got hope for the 64 ford tractor starter. i know i moved it. an i think i did make it safe. now where i put it, i think its in my shed. probably have to buy another one of those, also.

the 2002 dell must weigh at least at least 2/3 times more, even 3/4 times as the 600 mid-tower. loaded with the newer components. [such, as progress], but the size of the SSD 1TB surprised me. Takes a lot to get me surprised, but then, have you ever seen a horse drive a car? granted i'll never get up to your level of computer understanding. but i dont care. i like knowing people that are smarter than me. [when i can find them] lol, on me. i know horses some, an i learned how to let a horse run v/s make a horse run. i got a 34 and change out at church hill downs,  34.7 an could pushed the horse two seconds faster 32.7,  but the horse was green, a three yr. old, and handled so easy, i didnt know how fast i was going. if i had, i would have slowed down. 12 sec. a pole=  96 sec. a mile. i was only going 3/8. 3x12=36;  8/8 = 1 mile

whoops, i got off on a tangent, what was i talking about?

• Haha 1

i'm completely set up. cept for the 2nd power supply i ordered. i just cant see, where i could have misplaced it. i been working on this since march.

As if. all my records of buying the 2nd power supply have disappeared. it was from new egg. my e-mail name has also. how the transaction data disappeared also from my e-mail, i only hazard a guess. i was careful not to delete it, i delete many things, so as not to take up much space. its funny they have no record of this. or my email name, but i still have some records, of refunds. apparently, i never had an account there, though my records say else wise. i guess i back too square one, on the power supply. its still hard to get parts. a subsidiary in china, owns part of new egg. the web page has changed.

since the last time i was there. maybe it, china, always did own part of it, new egg.. anyway, i got to shop again. hope my project is done by next year. least by august, an annual event, of sum importance to me.

apparently, i ordered two power supply's, 5 minutes apart, on the 29th. i only need one. Gremlins. pc should be going soon.

You should be able to return one of them Ted for a refund....

• Like 1

finally; im putting it together. waited so long i just about forgot what i knew. the mobo is going for over twice as much as i paid, used on amazon. $120.oo is what i paid.

i lost some money in shipping parts back. the rest in parts that were overpriced because of a shortage. i think i coulda kept prices way down. Well;

to see if it works.

Edited by LedFTed

My video, conked on the 2002 dell. I'm surprised that was all that conked. 18 yrs. deserves a salute. thought to throw ya a picture in of the new machine. 

i still got to download drivers an such. just a peek. 5 fans in the system, an i cant hear it. only a bit on start up.

i can hear a lot of other sounds, in the basement, this is not one. show ya more progress later i hope. ed

i aint that def yet.

DSCN2701.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

plenty of open space, and soooo quite. 5 fans an i cant hear it run. 😀