Spcali

2014 Honda Trx 400x - Engage reverse when in 1st gear

Hello,

im new to the forum and looking for assistance.

I replaced the Clutch on a 2014 Honda TRX 400x and used a tusk competition kit with new springs. I soaked the disk for a few hours.

I’m not sure if something got bent or a spring broken but need help. Here is the dilemma, I’m stumped.

Here is how the gears suppose to work 
Gears 1

1st gear all the way down.

Neutral One click up

Reverse: Click into first gear all the way down and turn knob (see pic of circled knob) to engage reverse

When in reverse, click up one to get into neutral.

1st gear down , neutral up ,2nd gear , up - 3rd gear, up - 4th gear, up -5th gear up

Here is how they work:

I noticed that when I click all the way down reverse is engaged already without turning the knob to engage it. When this occurs it should be in first gear. Did a spring break, or get loose? Did something bend? See videos and images.

968C4A6C-8E2C-4322-A0AF-465429326A83.jpeg

BE46247C-F025-43A4-8B8E-F3A6E787057A.jpeg

04F7C0AF-7033-45AD-AAE2-80927F36DB86.jpeg

A07CC4D0-DF70-4AC7-9C09-EBBAE409AA0F.png

09EE05E1-3B26-4BBF-894E-39613D0A0242.png

Video updates . Could it be that I used a “low end clutch” it seems when I rock it forward and back the gears engage. I noticed the shifting is hard in and out of gear. I also used Honda G4 oil 10w-40 and soaked the Tusk disc in this for a few hours. The (5) clutch springs are also Tusk competition.

Any help is appreciated…

Picture of reverse cable prior to install. The cable was tight and the rod that holds the cable didn’t move, now I noticed it moves. See the video of movement.

BDADB55B-7AC1-4229-99A1-DF214E21124C.jpeg

More than likely you have the adjustement wrong. You can adjust the barrel adjuster so it is always pulled and it will go right into reverse like you are saying it does. Clutch has nothing to do with it or the springs. That reverse switch cable had to be removed when the clutch side cover was off to change the clutch and its now adjusted wrong i would bet. Let me check out your video and see if i can see whats adjusted wrong.

I think i know what you did. Because i did this once myself. When you removed the clutch side cover. Did you remove the nut and arm off the reverse shaft? Or leave it attatched to the clutch cover when you removed it? If you did that second option.(which i did once myself) then the return spring for the shaft has to be put back in a tension to hold the stopper arm properly. Ever since i have removed the nut and arm and slid the whole cover off leaving the shaft in its place.

Screenshot_20220109-193637_Samsung Notes.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the help SlammedRanger! I appreciate this, I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure this out..

When I first removed it, I left the nut(circled in red) thinking it would slide out with the stopper shaft completely and cover. I realized it wasn’t coming off, then removed this nut circled in red.(see pic) so I could slide off the clutch casing of the stopper shaft in yellow(see pic). I also disconnect the clutch cable.

I’ve been thinking it all day how I screwed up. I also used an impact driver to remove this screw going counter clockwise. I’m thinking when I did this it engaged Reverse somehow?

Right now I have it fully assembled, but plan on removing the cover on Monday or Tuesday after work.

How do I set the tension on the spring? After I disassemble, does the stopper shaft just slide out? Do I pull it out or just leave it in place and try to move the springs back in the direction of the green arrow so it’s more loaded? All help is appreciated…

once again thank you!

454490E8-89DD-40CB-AD02-D28F1A12FFD2.jpeg

082CF0FA-A65C-4199-AC6B-859B103BA7B1.jpeg

67607267-FBA0-4015-B4F6-1FF271408FFB.jpeg

• Like 1

No problem! Were always glad to help! Welcome to the forums btw! What i found when removing the clutch cover on 400ex's with reverse. You gotta just remove the nut and arm and leave the shaft and arm in its place. What you will need to do now is flip the arm you pointed to in red to the other side of the shaft. That shaft does come out with alittle fiddling. I remember this being alittle bit of a pain in the butt. You gotta kinda hold the spring in tension while sliding the shaft back into place. I wanna say i had to use a flat tip screw driver to wedge at it alittle too. But what it does is lock the shift drum in place when its tensioned. And when you turn the knob it releases the shift drum to allow it to go into reverse. So since it moves so easy right now its not locking the shift drum and stopping reverse engagement.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for the help. I’ll try to maneuver it in place with a flat head to get the spring back where there is tension. I looked at the picture you sent , and it needs go more to the left which makes sense now. I’ll update later this week, once I get it apart.

thanks!

You will get it. I had to learn this lesson the hard way aswell lol. I was trying to leave the cable attatched and adjusted to save a few steps. What i did was push on the arm and the cover does come off with the reverse shaft stuck in it. But when i saw the spring just loose on the shaft i realized my attempt at saving steps actually made more lol. Keep us posted bud!

• Like 2