Greg

Handle bar grips

Looking  for a a good glue to use on handle grips restoring  a 2003 rancher any help appreciated 

just IMO i think, DAP, will work as an all purpose glue to hold the grips on.

i bought the OEM glue. an i think it was the same. i had plenty of it left over, till the tube dried out, what was left over in the tube. DAP, a bit cheaper for the size. sold at hardware stores.

then there is an automotive glue, yellow in color. that last a long time, or did. 3m or 2m, was a long time back, i forget the name.  i gave what was left to my nephew, to glue his floor boards cover back on in the front. rubber. he still aint done it. was just a couple of years ago. i got that glue a decade or more ago. was more then 10 yrs. closer to 15.. ya will get positive feedback here, not what i say..

i must say, in all the new oem grips i have installed on my rebuilds ?, not once have i ever used any kind of glue to keep the grips from turning, slipping off. maybe its because i paint the bars thick enough, it does not need any glue ?. i just spray the grip's inside with some wd-40, a tad on the bars, slide them on, done deal.

• Like 1

Zero glue. And nothing sprayed on them. Dry is best 100%. Use your air compressor and the spray nozzle. Get it up inside the grip and hit it full blast. The pressure expands the rubber and you can slide it right to where you need it. Anything sprayed on even stuff that supposidly evaporates will still eventually start moving.

• Like 1

I have never had to use grip glue on my Honda hand grips, but I have always got OEM Honda grips in the past , I bought the GripLock for the throttle on my gas powered bike as the throttle was spinning around , cheap Chinese crap ---- for all the brothers who use Amazon parts on their ATVs  , would guess  chinese grips would be a problem on a Honda too 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:03 AM, shadetree said:

i must say, in all the new oem grips i have installed on my rebuilds ?, not once have i ever used any kind of glue to keep the grips from turning, slipping off. maybe its because i paint the bars thick enough, it does not need any glue ?. i just spray the grip's inside with some wd-40, a tad on the bars, slide them on, done deal.

they say WD-40 works on everything.

went fishing once, it was hot so i took off my shirt, forgot the bug spray. i did have WD, it dont work under your arms. 🙃 took alot of water to get that stuff off. 🤣🤣😂

On 1/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, SlammedRanger said:

Zero glue. And nothing sprayed on them. Dry is best 100%. Use your air compressor and the spray nozzle. Get it up inside the grip and hit it full blast. The pressure expands the rubber and you can slide it right to where you need it. Anything sprayed on even stuff that supposidly evaporates will still eventually start moving.

No glue used the air trick worked perfect

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greg said:

No glue used the air trick worked perfect

Awesome! Glad it worked! It takes alittle getting used to. But once that grip shrinks back down on the bar it will be locked in place from then on. Before i went to odi lock on grips this was my method and never had one slip or move ever. The lock on method is just nicer for changing them. But the air method will work to remove them also. Or a razor blade depending on how wore out they are.

2 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Awesome! Glad it worked! It takes alittle getting used to. But once that grip shrinks back down on the bar it will be locked in place from then on. Before i went to odi lock on grips this was my method and never had one slip or move ever. The lock on method is just nicer for changing them. But the air method will work to remove them also. Or a razor blade depending on how wore out they are.

unless you are not going to re-use them ?, then yeah..razor them off. if you are going to re-use them ?, take the end cap off, slide a small thin, long screw driver under the grip as far as you can work it, then take a wd-40 straw, slide it in right next to the screw driver, spray it, , pull the screw driver out, give it a small twist, grip will slide right off.

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

unless you are not going to re-use them ?, then yeah..razor them off. if you are going to re-use them ?, take the end cap off, slide a small thin, long screw driver under the grip as far as you can work it, then take a wd-40 straw, slide it in right next to the screw driver, spray it, , pull the screw driver out, give it a small twist, grip will slide right off.

Yeah that was what i was getting at with saying depending how wore out they are. If they are wore out they are trash and i just cut them off. But odi lock on grips come off and go back on in seconds. One small allen screw and it slides right off. Since making that change i havent looked back. Heck they were only 10 dollars more than normal grips. LoL

I noticed recently that some grips (300 I believe) or up to eight or $10 each. 2011 foreman 500 grips are still about $2.50 apiece, and fit a 300, 350, 420 etc perfectly.

I spray some cheap black spray paint up in the grip and slide it on. They go on easily that way and don’t move once they are on