Akunin

Trail and trip tracking

Over the years I've used everything from paper maps to gps to apps on phones. Which is your favorite way to keep a track of your favorite trails and places you've visited?

I've had several gps models over the years and the last two have certainly been my favorite. I prefer Garmin as the Colorado system had what I really liked for features but I upgraded and got the Montana 680t about a year ago. I really enjoyed the size but after it was stolen I really couldn't see investing that much into another dedicated unit. I've since jumped on the smartphone app bandwagon and have been using the Avenza app. I'm pretty impressed with its accuracy and loading maps had been a breeze. The ability to tag locations and assign a pic to remind me what was where is great when I share a trip with someone or since my memory isn't what it used to be of where I found something. Last summer was my first time trying it and I used an old phone I kept when we upgraded. I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 for my trips (if it gets stolen I'm not out anything this time) and though I don't have it set up with a data plan or anything it still can use gps though it takes longer to initially find your location than if I had a cell tower to help triangulate my position.

Avenza allows me to load our local Black Hills National Forest trail system maps and helps jeep track of what trails are single track, 50" or less, open to highway vehicles, trail is open, closed for repair or if they are seasonal or not. 

All this and now I find myself looking into a new system by Trailtech. They have a new model called the Voyager Pro which has a color screen and a unique feature that let's you keep track of your buddies. They can even send out an "SOS" signal that says something is wrong and needs help. That's just a nutshell as I'm still looking into it.

Screenshot_20190622-232928_Avenza Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20190608-163632_Avenza Maps.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Garmin Montana , use Garmin   Base Camp to overlay onto Google Earth and TOPO charts , love it .... 

• Like 2

Hi: I also use the Garmin Montana -- here is a 40 KM area that I mostly bike in -- we have 1000's of trails here.

area most.jpg

• Like 1

I use Endomondo for marking trails. You can check it live, even on satellite mode.  This is roughly what it looks like.

endo.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 9:08 AM, Fishfiles said:

I have a Garmin Montana , use Garmin   Base Camp to overlay onto Google Earth and TOPO charts , love it .... 

I've decided to get another Montana. Going with the 680t again, that thing was amazing! This time I won't leave it on the bike when I pay for gas.  🙄

The display is plenty bright enough for me and its large enough to see when I'm sitting in the saddle. So off to amazon to order another!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, Melatv said:

Hi: I also use the Garmin Montana -- here is a 40 KM area that I mostly bike in -- we have 1000's of trails here.

area most.jpg

Oh my goodness, that looks like months of fun!

On 12/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, Melatv said:

area most.jpg

That Martin Head is a great spot.

17 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

That Martin Head is a great spot.

you need to start a thread just for the rides there, they look great!! I've never been but I've always wanted to go up that way.