Andy bauska

Loosing spark

Misterclean, I put a Brand-new coil on it, and threaded the spark plug boot on it, I so I don't think that's the problem there. And as for the vent lines, I haven't checked them out, but I would assume they are clean. And I pretty much rule out the possibility of my carb having incorrect settings. The other one I swapped it to just runs too perfect for anything to be wrong with my carb. But Vent lines are an easy thing to check, so worth a shot.

Sometimes you have to forget everything that you have done so far and start over fresh in your mind , could be something you have already been over and/or  overlooked 

just throwing some ideas out there , if you throw enough stuff on the wall something will eventually stick 

Are the glass fuses and fuse holders  still on your 300 , I have had a lot of problems with the connections on them  and install ATC blade type fuses and solder in ATC fuse holders 

Maybe it is a fuel problem, seen inside  the petcock and or the pickup tube screen in the tank get clogged up and restrict flow  >>>>   is the gas fresh and clean ?? 

Did you ever check the output of the voltage regulator 

Is the timing chain tight with the tensioner ? valves properly adjusted ?  does it have good compression ? bent valve stem ? worn out valve rocker arms

Flywheel keyway sheared ? 

• Like 1

My dad and I were talking about it last night, and he thinks my timing is a tooth or a half off. He said that on a big V8 engine with the timing a little off it will still idle like a top, but on the top end, it will stutter, and not run well. I think this is a possible cause. And beings that I'm only getting 165lbs of compression, it's possible it bent a valve slightly.

30 minutes ago, Andy bauska said:

My dad and I were talking about it last night, and he thinks my timing is a tooth or a half off. He said that on a big V8 engine with the timing a little off it will still idle like a top, but on the top end, it will stutter, and not run well. I think this is a possible cause. And beings that I'm only getting 165lbs of compression, it's possible it bent a valve slightly.

That's too much compression if it has a compression release on the cam. The valve timing is not off for sure. I would check the spark plug cap by unscrewing it from the wire and holding it on the spark plug some way.

23 minutes ago, Andy bauska said:

Oh , 165 psi !!!  And this was a fresh rebuild , eh ?   ---   you should be 200 psi - 210 psi  , is what the book says , a bent rod will cause loss of compression , as will a stuck valve , you ever put your hand  over the carb inlet and spin it over , can you feel the suck in and then compression ??? 

Bent rod and it will run , but not to full performance ---- I  bent the rod on my Bronco once and that was hard to figure out at the time in my early 20s ---- did your bike ever ingest water that you know about ? That will bend a rod  , a carb leaking fuel into the cylinder when parked can cause a bent rod also , when you go to start up with gas on top the piston 

2 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

That's too much compression if it has a compression release on the cam. The valve timing is not off for sure. I would check the spark plug cap by unscrewing it from the wire and holding it on the spark plug some way.

MC , the 300s have a mechanical compression release lever , they run 210 psi compression when fresh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

MC , the 300s have a mechanical compression release lever , they run 210 psi compression when fresh 

I wad thinking about that while typing. Couldn't remember when they went to auto comp release. 

The Honda is alive and well!!!! I pulled the valve cover off and sure enough the cam was one tooth off. She runs like a dream and revs all the way up!

• Like 6