Misterclean

First time for everything

As many of you already  know, I've had a shop for over 38 years working on outdoor equipment. A new thing happened and just wanted to share it. A customer brought his riding mower in saying it just started burning oil. After inspecting it I suggested new rings but it didn't make since because it looked to be a low hour machine. After tearing it down I was concerned because the rings were like new. I decided to replace the rings anyway because I did express doubt about the rings to my customer and he understood he was taking a risk. I installed the oil rings first (expander with two scrapers). When the last scraper was installed the ring suddenly got tight and wouldn't expand. I took the rings off to see if I missed something........I did. There was a small ding on the piston skirt that was barely noticeable. It was squeezing the ring at that point so I scraped a small portion (like peeling a potato) off the corner of the ring gap and filed a small chamfer. The rings floated fine now. The engine runs without smoking now. I was concerned about giving my customer bad news but now I'm looking forward to talking to him. Anyone else out there have an odd problem like this before?

• Like 2

Kudos to you for seeing it.  Most of us would have spent weeks chasing the problem and not been able to fix it without throwing a new piston at it.

• Like 2

I can't say i've had this problem lately ?, but i can say this, when i tear an engine down, i look over every inch of the part/area i am working on. it's the small things that will come around and bite ya on the back side if you are not paying attention !. never...EVER...rush an engine rebuild.

• Like 1