Anitomical

2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4 one-way gear

Its definitely running rich, so I guess I'll take the carb off for the fourth time and figure out what's up.

I feel like it could be what jeepwm69 said or the pilot jet might be clogged so all the gas is going through the main jet?

20220227_135128.jpg

20220227_135143.jpg

Did you own this atv since new ?  Maybe a previous owner put a generic carb kit into it and the jet is wrong 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Did you own this atv since new ?  Maybe a previous owner put a generic carb kit into it and the jet is wrong 

No I have not, I've owned it for about 7 years now and only really used it for about 3. The carb is 100% original, the guy who gave us it wasn't really into doing carbs and such. I believe he tried to take it apart once but he stripped the bolts.

I was able to get the bowl off, and so far I got the main jet and what I believe to be the pilot jet. There's a middle jet that is completely seized in there and I can't get it out, but both of the jets were completely clean.

Well, I got it running perfectly 3 days ago, rode it here and there, not much or hard. And I was cruising down a hill going 25mph in 4th gear barely on the throttle, and then it randomly sputters and shuts off. This always used to happen with 4th and 5th gear if you're in that gear for to long, I believe 90% of 300 king quads are like that so I wasn't worried. I gave it a minute and I tried to start it again and it sounded wayyy off, it was barely starting and it would only stay running if I kept on the starter. So I decided to put the choke on, and then try again... well I tried again and it wouldn't even turn over, not even with the pull start. I got it towed back to my house and I took the oil cap off, and it was pure white. And it's air cooled so there's no way it could be coolant. I had everything perfectly sealed up so how would water even get in there? It obviously blew up already and I'm just done with it.

15 hours ago, Anitomical said:

Well, I got it running perfectly 3 days ago, rode it here and there, not much or hard. And I was cruising down a hill going 25mph in 4th gear barely on the throttle, and then it randomly sputters and shuts off. This always used to happen with 4th and 5th gear if you're in that gear for to long, I believe 90% of 300 king quads are like that so I wasn't worried. I gave it a minute and I tried to start it again and it sounded wayyy off, it was barely starting and it would only stay running if I kept on the starter. So I decided to put the choke on, and then try again... well I tried again and it wouldn't even turn over, not even with the pull start. I got it towed back to my house and I took the oil cap off, and it was pure white. And it's air cooled so there's no way it could be coolant. I had everything perfectly sealed up so how would water even get in there? It obviously blew up already and I'm just done with it.

So this is an air cooled engine right ?  there is no radiator ?  and the oil is white milky like it has water in it ?? ----  did you happen to go in the water on the  trails ? Or did it rain around your house lately ? Or do you have neighbors that don't like you ?    -----   

Did you get oil to put into the engine from a contaminated container that had  water in it , I see that happen al the time with equipment , guys leave a 5 gallon bucket in back their truck , or laying outside , it gets water in it , then they fill the machine with it 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Did you get oil to put into the engine from a contaminated container that had  water in it , I see that happen al the time with equipment , guys leave a 5 gallon bucket in back their truck , or laying outside , it gets water in it , then they fill the machine with it 

I only have 1 neighbor and he lives like 2 miles away and he's the nicest person I've ever met. It's still air cooled and no I didnt go through any water, it did rain recently but I had it covered with a tarp. I made sure I put gasket sealer and gaskets on everything I took off too. The oil was fresh so I have no clue how it turned white. And the weird part is, it was mostly at the oil cap. I drained the oil and it seemed grey, not pure white. But at the cap it was pure white

39 minutes ago, Anitomical said:

I only have 1 neighbor and he lives like 2 miles away and he's the nicest person I've ever met. It's still air cooled and no I didnt go through any water, it did rain recently but I had it covered with a tarp. I made sure I put gasket sealer and gaskets on everything I took off too. The oil was fresh so I have no clue how it turned white. And the weird part is, it was mostly at the oil cap. I drained the oil and it seemed grey, not pure white. But at the cap it was pure white

Cap will get condensation on it, but that doesn't explain the rest of the oil being grey. 

When my FIL's AC 300 filled up with gas from the leaky carb float needle, it was black and thin coming out.  There has to be an explanation as to how moisture got in your crankcase. 

We have a mystery to solve!

Well I do know that when I first got it running it was very rich but I leaned it out some so there might've been left over gas in the oil maybe? I mean someone might've sabotaged me but I would have no clue why. This town is an extremely nice town and I don't have any problems with anyone. I do remember seeing some dirt bike tracks on my property the other day but I doubt they were the ones who put water in my oil because there was no tracks near my quad.

Also I tore the head off last night, and everything looked fine. The piston had a little extra deposits on it, but that was when it was first running and it was very rich. Everything else seems fine, there's no up and down play in the piston, it stopped at BTD and the cylinder walls looked fine, no scratches or anything.

Edit: And the valves were seated perfectly, they weren't bent, and it stayed in time.

Edited by Anitomical

1 hour ago, Anitomical said:

Well I do know that when I first got it running it was very rich but I leaned it out some so there might've been left over gas in the oil maybe? I mean someone might've sabotaged me but I would have no clue why. This town is an extremely nice town and I don't have any problems with anyone. I do remember seeing some dirt bike tracks on my property the other day but I doubt they were the ones who put water in my oil because there was no tracks near my quad.

Also I tore the head off last night, and everything looked fine. The piston had a little extra deposits on it, but that was when it was first running and it was very rich. Everything else seems fine, there's no up and down play in the piston, it stopped at BTD and the cylinder walls looked fine, no scratches or anything.

Edit: And the valves were seated perfectly, they weren't bent, and it stayed in time.

So will it turn over now?  From your earlier post it sounded like you thought it had locked up.

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

So will it turn over now?  From your earlier post it sounded like you thought it had locked up.

It still will not turn over, I will probably take of the subtransmission side tomorrow 

On 3/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Fishfiles said:

can you do a pic of the oil 

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been extremely busy. I've gotten the time to take off the stator side cover off and this is what I found. The time chain guild was also very twisted up. The oil has a little bit of dirt and debris on it because it was very muddy out the last time it was used so that got into the oil some. It also seemed very low on oil somehow, I had everything sealed up properly so I have no clue how it was leaking, I didn't even see any oil marks from where I had it parked.

20211023_150943.jpg

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well that sucks.  Any idea what caused it?

Absolutely no idea what caused it. When it happened I was barely in the throttle so its not like it had an extreme load on it or anything. Heck, I used to move a truck around with it with no issues.

Also I just said "screw it" and I bent the timing chain guild back in place and put everything back together. And now it runs but if you rev it up it has some timing chain rattle so I'm just not gonna even try to use it.  And I found out that it sounds extremely loud (louder than expected) and sounds horrible without a muffler, I just decided to leave it off for the ! and giggles 

• Haha 1