Anitomical

2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4 one-way gear

On 1/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, Fishfiles said:

I know you say it can only go into the flywheel  one certain way , but can maybe  the rollers come out of the cage  and be flipped  around  ??? 

Also this is a picture of the rollers, none of them look out of place and they look fine.
And I noticed when I try to use the starter, it starts to spin, then gets hard to spin, and then I kinda hear a little metal clunk and the starter gear kinda wobbles when that happens? So something maybe uneven even though I put everything on right and I torque them down properly.

20220129_170416.jpg

20220129_170422.jpg

Hard to tell from that unclear pic ,  it does look like they are all facing the same way , but  it looks like some of  the sprag rollers are kind of buffed  up 

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hard to tell from that unclear pic ,  it does look like they are all facing the same way , but  it looks like some of  the sprag rollers are kind of buffed  up 

Yeah I'm sorry, I don't really have a great phone, only 8MP for the front camera 😅, I can try to take it apart and get more pictures of the the whole assembly

31 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hopefully these are a little bit better

20220129_175455.jpg

20220129_175508.jpg

20220129_175516.jpg

20220129_175522.jpg

20220129_175529.jpg

20220129_175554.jpg

20220129_175603.jpg

20220129_175614.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for the horrible quality again, but I'm not fully sure if this should do this. The one-way gear spins in the direction it should (it's actually going the opposite way in this because I have it flipped around so it's easier to do/show) but if I barely press on the one-way bearing and move it the way that it locks up, it just spins and doesn't lock up. 

Looks bad to me , I'd say  get a new one -----  is a  new  one even available  , some Honda one way bearings  are no longer available 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks bad to me , I'd say  get a new one -----  is a  new  one even available  , some Honda one way bearings  are no longer available 

Yes, they're around $33, but a OEM one comes with the one-way gear and that's over $200

Ok so I FINALLY got it running, (she's a tad bit smoky when she warms up but I believe that's because of the left over oil that was in the exhaust maybe?) but when I go to adjust the idle, it doesn't adjust and it idles pretty high. And i'm pretty sure it's running lean and I can't figure out where the A/F screw is

Just thought I'd update y'all

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anitomical said:

Ok so I FINALLY got it running,

what did you do to get it running 

I got a new one way bearing and I obviously did a top end rebuild and it started up almost instantly. It already runs better than before despite the high idle and it running lean

Wow you not kidding about running fast idle.   Is it a oem carb. Has the Carb been cleaned.  Does the Suzuki carb have a choke butterfly or a enrichment plunger.  

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow you not kidding about running fast idle.   Is it a oem carb. Has the Carb been cleaned.  Does the Suzuki carb have a choke butterfly or a enrichment plunger.  

It has a oem carb, no because the bolts are completely stripped so I can't take off the bowl, and it has a enrichment plunger. I didn't mess with anything when I took the carb off and when I put it back on, I kept the carb in a clean environment so it shouldn't be that bad? But yet again, I'm not fully sure. I also have another video that I just took with it idling after a minute (not good by the way)...

Just now, Anitomical said:

It has a oem carb, no because the bolts are completely stripped so I can't take off the bowl, and it has a enrichment plunger. I didn't mess with anything when I took the carb off and when I put it back on, I kept the carb in a clean environment so it shouldn't be that bad? But yet again, I'm not fully sure. I also have another video that I just took with it idling after a minute (not good by the way)...

• Confused 1

It is running hard on a fresh rebuild , you need to fix that 

Is that enrichment  plunger frozen up / stuck , or the cable frozen up ? 

On them carb bowl screws , I have had luck with a mini pair of Vise-Grips when they are frozen up and stripped ?

Or a Dremel with a grinding wheel and cut a slot in to the top for a flat screwdriver , or one of them hammer drivers 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

It is running hard on a fresh rebuild , you need to fix that 

Is that enrichment  plunger frozen up / stuck , or the cable frozen up ? 

On them carb bowl screws , I have had luck with a mini pair of Vise-Grips when they are frozen up and stripped ?

Or a Dremel with a grinding wheel and cut a slot in to the top for a flat screwdriver , or one of them hammer drivers 

I was thinking about doing that last part, but nothing is frozen and everything works as it should. And I don't believe it's the jets because it's a OEM style piston

Also I tried to move it under it's own power and it just took off and I wasn't even on the throttle, I shut it off immediately so i didnt ruin anything

10 hours ago, Anitomical said:

I was thinking about doing that last part, but nothing is frozen and everything works as it should. And I don't believe it's the jets because it's a OEM style piston

Also I tried to move it under it's own power and it just took off and I wasn't even on the throttle, I shut it off immediately so i didnt ruin anything

I have heard people say that an air leak in the intake can cause a high idle , never really experienced it , but heard it said just recently 

I'd check your enrichment valve/ choke, and if you spray starter fluid around the intake boot and there's a leak, you should hear a change in the idle.

Those 300's have a carb that runs downhill into the head, so if you get a sticky/leaky float needle they fill the engine up with gas.

• Like 1

I took the intake boot off last night and put gasket sealer on it to see if that will help, I need to put the carburetor and stuff back on later to see if that worked

Well I was gonna start it today, but it doesn't have enough gas to fill the bowl, so tomorrow I will try to get gas and then prime the carb and then I'll update y'all later tomorrow

I was thinking about your high idle issue , wonder if throttle cable routing is an issue , by any chance did you pull and tug on cables , or routed it differently 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I was thinking about your high idle issue , wonder if throttle cable routing is an issue , by any chance did you pull and tug on cables , or routed it differently 

I don't believe so, but I remember when I put the cable back on, right before I did I turned the idle knob until it was just barely touching the thing. And as soon as I put the cable on, it was about a centimeter off of the idle knob. Also I did think about the whole rerouting thing so I tried multiple routes and it was always the same.

But I'm pretty sure the high idle was because of the intake boot might've been leaking. The reason I think that is not only because of how hot the exhaust was getting almost instantly, but when I put the choke on it idled down to where it should be

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I'm truly at a lose for words? I tried it just now, and it didn't work, but randomly it worked and I went to adjust the idle because it was way to low and then it shut off and  then I turned it back on (it didn't want to start at first) went back to the extremely high idle. Then I decided to give it some manual choke (hand slightly over the intake) and it idled down but when I went to go rev it a little, it just died. Then I decided to take out the spark plug to see if that had any signs of if it was running rich or lean... and when I took it out it was covered in soot. Like I rubbed my finger across it lightly and it instantly looked cleaner. I'm at a complete lose of words and I have no clue why it's doing this. When I had the carb off, I adjusted the A/F screw to about 1 and a half turns, I believe it was at about 2 and a half. I want to adjust the A/F again but it's at the bottom of the carb and you can't get to it unless you take it off which is ! to put back on.

(Also when I rev it up in general, it sometimes stays at that rpm for a few seconds without lowering in rpm? That's without the manual choke.)

On 2/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I'd check your enrichment valve/ choke, and if you spray starter fluid around the intake boot and there's a leak, you should hear a change in the idle.

Those 300's have a carb that runs downhill into the head, so if you get a sticky/leaky float needle they fill the engine up with gas.

Looks like I might have to take the carb apart then because this is probably what's happening...