jeepwm69

Picked up an 03 Raptor 80

Picked up this KLF80 Raptor from Basfnb’s brother, along with an old 185S Honda over the weekend. 

Turns over great, doesn’t even try to start though. Haven’t really had time to even look at it to figure out where the battery and airbox are. 

Could be a good one to keep around for the kids. Anyone have any experience with these things?

7B4DEB1C-DFDC-4981-B298-06F9E5EF67A0.jpeg

19DAD41E-E0CC-4A2B-A2F1-114BF28C210E.jpeg

• Like 3

nice looking 4wheeler. Daughter had a Suzuki LT80 when she was younger, oh how I hated that thing. I bought a service manual for it and still had heck trying to keep it running. It had too many small things that would go wrong. plus it was a 2stroke.

jeep...you do know..this is a honda site...right ???..lol. if my memory is worth a crap ?, I think that yammy is shaft drive...right ?.

Yep Shade, it’s shaft drive. 

Supposedly Yamaha makes good stuff! It’s not like it’s a Polaris or something. Price was right (FREE)!

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep Shade, it’s shaft drive. 

Supposedly Yamaha makes good stuff! It’s not like it’s a Polaris or something. Price was right (FREE)!

you can't beat free !!.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, Fishfiles said:

Good score ! Yamaha does make good stuff  . 

Yamaha makes Excellent bikes and quads, I have owned more Yamaha's than anything else, and I use to race them in my younger days.  And they have always been easy to work on.  I currently also own a 2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE, awesome machine.

I did some nosing around and looks like it's common on these little bikes for the intake valve to tighten up over time to the point where they won't start. 

So first thing I'm going to do is try adjusting the valves. 

Got to finish getting my shop cleaned up before I do any wrenching.  Going to get it cleaned up where I can work on stuff indoors!

On 1/8/2020 at 12:46 PM, machinecrook said:

Free is always a great deal 🙂

Ya Right !  Only thing I ever got for "Free" had to see a Doctor and took pills for 2 weeks. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

Well I had enough room in my shop to move this little guy in.  Went out early this morning, pulled the carb off (which you have to do to get the intake valve cap off), found the intake valve tappet had zero slack at TDC, so I adjusted it to .005,, put it back together only to discover that I didn't have any gas on hand. 

I did, however, get it to fire off on starter fluid, so apparently that intake valve had tightened down to the point of not allowing it to run. 

Great news!  I also found the original Mikuni carb under the seat (looks like prior owner put an ebay carb on it).

Will try to get some gas this afternoon and fill the tank up and will hopefully be able to get this one running without sinking a lot of $$$ into it.

• Like 1

If that's all you will have too do,you can't complain on the deal you got.

Dumped some gas in the tank over the weekend and she fired right up.....and smoked....A LOT.

So, looks like she'll need a top end.  Looked like the mosquito fogger going down the road, but it runs and pulls, so at least it's worth messing with it.

Brakes don't work at all either, so those will have to have work too.

• Like 1