DLBeltran74

HELP!!!!

Ok folks, I have a 2004 Honda TRX 250 EX SportsTrax I’m working on. I removed the top end and when doing so, one of the bolts snapped off flush with the engine. I center punched it and started drilling it out with a small bit. It was going great. Until…..I switched to a bigger drill bit. Once I went up in size on the bit, it started drilling to the side. I may have damaged the threads but I can’t really tell at this point. So….now I am trying to extract the bolt without breaking the extracting tools in the drilled hole. I’ve used both kinds. I used the square ones and the spiral looking ones. All they seem to be doing is get super tight but don’t remove the bolt. I don’t want to force it more than I have because I don’t want it to snap off in the drilled hole. I have tried applying heat and PB Blaster and it still doesn’t want to come out. I tried using a left handed drill bit but I can’t tell if it’s drilling the bolt or the aluminum. I am getting pretty worried I’m messing up the threads. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to re-thread  the hole with a bigger size once it’s out but I can’t figure out how to get it out of the hole. Does anyone know of a tool that can help me re-drill the hole in the center. Like some type of guide. My patients are wearing thin and I really don’t want to force it. I’ve broken two extracting tools in the past trying to remove broken bolts and I swore to never mess with this kind of stuff again. Should I just take it to a machine shop and let them do it? Also, if I did mess up the threads, is that the end of that hole size? Is there a way a machine shop can reconstruct the hole and re-thread it with the original size bolt hole? Can someone please pass on some info for this. It’s freaking me out! TIA!!!

• Like 1

I think it would be best at this point to take it to a machine shop ------ a heli-coil is one way to repair the threads 

• Like 1

Best luck i have had at removing a broken bolt has been putting a nut on and welding to the stud. The heat of welding tends to break the bond and help with removal. But at this point most likely you will be taking it to a machine shop and they will drill it and put a heli coil in it. Heli coil is essentially a threaded sleeve that is threaded outside and inside. It will allow you to use the same size as factory bolt threaded inside. And the hole will be taken out to the size and thread pitch necessary for the heli coil to thread in and be locked in place with some sort of sleeve retainer or loc tite. Unless you have a drill press with a vice and machinist set of drill bits do not attempt this yourself. The hole has to be perfectly square or none of this will ever work.

• Like 3

You could try putting a nail on the block side when using the extractor. Possibly it will move with it and the bolt??? I can't say I have ever tried it but worth a shot.

I also just weld to remove broke bolts. If you have to install a thread repair I personally have never been a fan of the heli coil. I use keen serts when I have to repair pulled threads and there is enough material to do so.

• Like 2

Ok…..I took it to a machine shop. He tried getting it out by welding a nut to it and taking it out that way. BUT……it didn’t work. So my only option it to drill it out and replace the threads or replace the casing. I really do not want to spend the money on a new casing. I looked online for a used one but I can’t find one anywhere. I found a couple of new ones but the are running about $400. Not even a option. Is there any type of guide or something that can help me drill out the broken bolt and do the heli coil thing. Those are my options. If anyone has or knows of a place I can get a really cheap casing, I would appreciate it. 

Not much of a machine shop , try  another one that will do the heli-coil 

the biggest thing is to drill the hole perfectly in the middle

A highly qualified machinist or metals tech should be able to do this. Find a better machine shop. If this person didn’t know how to do it then they didn’t want to or was unqualified.

if you insist on DIY then

Use highest quality new bits (cobalt)

stake the center of the bolt to get started 

start with a tiny bit and gradually work your way up to a good diameter Easy Out.

if you’ve never used an Easy Out then you don’t know the heartbreak of breaking one off in the bolt.

Use high quality machine tools like the tap arbor i show. Get that easy out well seated in the bolt cavity 

3DAF0DE0-2222-4888-8C2E-AE0A2CD19418.jpeg

18C3386F-A99A-4EE3-90F3-2954AE2C356E.jpeg

F759F057-073B-4871-B447-61A19E0E5937.jpeg

191B2700-DC02-42EC-B75C-98E3273DD755.jpeg

B8377E62-46CD-43BB-AE45-12A13188A788.jpeg

C9A34FF7-9F40-4EE9-9CE6-2EEC288BB0FD.jpeg

Edited by Goober

I use keen serts when repairing bad threads. If you can drill it perfect or grind enough to drill it perfect that route would be easy enough.

On 2/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, DLBeltran74 said:

Ok…..I took it to a machine shop. He tried getting it out by welding a nut to it and taking it out that way. BUT……it didn’t work. ............................ Is there any type of guide or something that can help me drill out the broken bolt and do the heli coil thing. Those are my options. If anyone has or knows of a place I can get a really cheap casing, I would appreciate it. 

Try a good welding shop. We do lots of them on snowmobiles. It's not uncommon to have to weld a nut on there several times. I've done 10 weld on nuts on a bolt that was broken off, drilled crooked, and had a broke off extractor in it. If the first couple of welded nuts twist off, try letting it cool before wrenching on it, like letting it set overnight.

Typically, with a broken bolt that is drilled crooked, try tightening it before trying to back it out. I'm talking just a tad. Then work it back and forth a little at a time, to knock the burrs off the threads from the crooked drilling. Goes without saying, gently feel what is going on, you can't use brute force to get it out. When ever you get any play / clearance, spray that sucker with a good penetrating oil.

I haven't seen a tool that can be used as a guide. But I lead a sheltered life, to ! old to change. Your Machine Shop should be able to mount it in a Mill and square and drill it for you.