jeepwm69

New projects, cause I needed more

Basfnb showed up with these on a trailer over the weekend. 125 I bought a couple of years ago and it’s been sitting in basfnb’s shop. Top end is off and I’m even sure if it’s all there. Was $50 though, so hopefully I can fix it up over time for new baby to ride when she’s older. 

Brakes look weird on this thing. They all like the rears are on the bigger bike (cable actuating a cam)? Any idea what year it is (couldn’t find the VIN)?

185S has already been here once. He didn’t want to put money in it. Ran but smoked like a freight train. 

Front tire needs a tube. No brakes at all. Wouldn’t start for me but plug is probably fouled out. Anyone tell what year it is from looking?

FDA5EAAF-D95D-4CDA-BF8F-A781BDBD9849.jpeg

16D5749A-B356-408B-954A-A7113F33E933.jpeg

66FFD2D7-8406-4ED5-9C48-025EFFC877C9.jpeg

C93E2BA5-B60F-4172-BDAC-CDE931ABB9FC.jpeg

• Like 1

the trx125 was produced from 1985 to 1988. the atc 185S was produced from 1981 to 1983 :-).

• Thanks 1

Looks like the 185s is an 81, and the 125 is an 85-86, according to some of the Hoarders on bookface. They can tell the year by looking at the stickers, lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks like the 185s is an 81, and the 125 is an 85-86, according to some of the Hoarders on bookface. They can tell the year by looking at the stickers, lol

I just looked them up on partzilla for each model, they show them listed in the years page. I deff could not tell just by the stickers !..lol.

Pretty sure the 125 is an 85.  Looks like the 85's had a different starter button than the later ones.

How does the seat/rear fender come off of these?  I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet, but want to see what all I'm going to have to do to pull the motor, and this is the first chain driven rig I've worked on.

Looks like the rear fender and seat are made as one piece.

That's 2 good models when you get them running.I had the 110 & 185 liked both.I am seriously thinking about looking for 1984-87 Honda 250es Big Red.I miss the 3 wheeler in the woods,they make good roads and handle good in the woods.

1 hour ago, riverc said:

That's 2 good models when you get them running.I had the 110 & 185 liked both.I am seriously thinking about looking for 1984-87 Honda 250es Big Red.I miss the 3 wheeler in the woods,they make good roads and handle good in the woods.

ATC250ES Big Red is a good one , don't think they started making them  till 1985  ----- I would go with 86-87 , 85s had a few 1st gen things going on that I don't like , the rear swing arm / axle tube was welded together , you can't take the whole rear end off in one piece , it has to be disassembled ----------  the axle length and hubs are  unique to that one year 85 and rare , the rear brake drum doesn't have a  cover over it , so water and dirt goes right in the brakes 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

ATC250ES Big Red is a good one , don't think they started making them  till 1985  ----- I would go with 86-87 , 85s had a few 1st gen things going on that I don't like , the rear swing arm / axle tube was welded together , you can't take the whole rear end off in one piece , it has to be disassembled ----------  the axle length and hubs are  unique to that one year 85 and rare , the rear brake drum doesn't have a  cover over it , so water and dirt goes right in the brakes 

Thanks for the advice....Going to take my time finding one no rush rush.Don't need it tomorrow.

Jeep , is this sign any good or a cheapie like Hobby Lobby , it is $6 ---would likely cost $6 to ship it 

G1HSqd04Qfe8pGQEoP2WnQ.jpg

Looks like something modern Fish.  Jeep didn't start using that grill in the ads until about 10 years ago, so probably a Hobby Lobby sign.

Just like Honda, the cool stuff is from the 80's!

This is more from my era.  Gone in 1986.

jeep sign.jpg

pulled the fenders on the 125 before work this morning. 

Gas tank looks like it might have been Kreemed at some point. Anyone confirm this stuff is tank liner?

EB6441D4-9C15-4C20-8293-6DDCCFF58AA8.jpeg

3C99CC61-E270-46BC-980D-BBED534DF782.jpeg

if I can remember bro ??..lol, i'll see if my bud has a better 125 tank for ya. I dont get out there as much as I used to do in warmer weather ?, plus being tied up on this '88 project !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No hurry Shade.  This one will be for the kid who is now 5 months old, so will be awhile before she's riding it! 

Just trying to get it put up so it's not sitting out in the weather.  Got the fenders and tank off this morning and put in the shop, and got the rest rolled up under a Jeep hard-top behind the shop to keep it out of the weather.

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

No hurry Shade.  This one will be for the kid who is now 5 months old, so will be awhile before she's riding it! 

Just trying to get it put up so it's not sitting out in the weather.  Got the fenders and tank off this morning and put in the shop, and got the rest rolled up under a Jeep hard-top behind the shop to keep it out of the weather.

ok, just remind me time to time, old age ya know !..lol.

• Like 1

The 85 TRX125 had the Z stripe decal like you have, 86 was a straight decal, 87 was a new body style that was red and white and 88 was solid red. The white on the 185s tank decal makes it the 81, 82 had a two tone blue decal and 83 had one that came down from the top and ran along the bottom of the tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got this gem today. MINT condition.

Seriously, been trying to pin this guy down for awhile. He had it listed at $100, younger guy who looked very “gangsta” who was in Memphis (I was concerned enough about where I cleaned my CCW before I left the house to make sure it was ready, but ended up being a nice enough kid and neighborhood was decent too).

Anyhow, it’s horrible looking, but I needed some stuff, and this had it. Top end (mine was missing a lot of parts and the head and cylinder were trash, had been removed years ago and apparently left out somewhere), gas tank (mine was rough), front brake cables are there and don’t look bad, so hopefully I can free them up, and tires look serviceable.  Front cooler rack and headlight guard as well.spacer.png

Anyhow, can’t believe I burned the better part of a day driving 70 miles each way to get it, but now I have a solid supply of parts to use when I build the 125 for the kid

C088B243-0D1C-46EF-8759-4E4A3D517133.jpeg

190AEC37-0C81-447A-810A-1B440C1ABCB5.jpeg

A31780FB-F59D-43E6-8140-2C16B679E192.jpeg

EBB831ED-6686-42B2-908A-F1197035DECC.jpeg

D733648C-20EC-49EA-BA85-7BEF0E4EB144.jpeg

Edited by jeepwm69
  • Like 2