Kev

Second hand quad purchase

Don't buy anything with a snorkel.

Look for mud/residue high up on the machine.  For example, if you see mud collected under the gas tank on the heat guard, chances are it's been a water bike.

Look for mud in the air box.  Dry dust is expected.  If you see any evidence of mud or water in there, walk away.

Knocks, smoke, I'd walk away.  It might "Just need a top end" or the crank might be shot.

Check the oil drain plug and make sure it's not leaking.  They can strip out easily and on the newer models the only proper fix is replacing the crankcase.

What particular model are you looking at?  Different models have different things that should be scrutinized. 

• Like 3

For the foreman (very general model) the 400 and 450 was about bullet proof. The ES version was a hit and miss with some issues and the 400 had weaker suspension with expensive shocks (OEM). The 500 version had a first and third gear issue (again, certain machines/hit and miss) until they updated them in in 2009 I think (memory is getting weak and someone will correct it). Main issues to look out on all of them is the common wheel bearings and if in the certain range of 500 make sure first gear doesn't slip under a load.

@Kev what part of the world are you in? Foreman is a fourtrax in other areas and so on so that little info might help with a few things.

• Like 2

also..check the gas tank for rust  and the brakes...if you don't do your won work, you'll be surprised at what a brake job costs at the local shop.

If you know what you want, do your research. There are lots of indicators if it's beat or not. If the racks are all bent up, or dented, it was probably rode hard. If the motor is an ugly brown color, it's probably been in mud. If it still has the original tires, it's probably been taken care of. There are lots of other indicators as well, but those are just a few. I hope this helps!

I have a 2012 500, been a good machine. No problem so far, but I’m not a mudder.12 and 13 are a two year run on model if I remember correctly. Redesign in 14. Maybe harder to find parts for a two year run. Look for a machine with an older owner. Most youngsters think that they’re boats!

• Like 2

my fiance just got a honda rancher 420 from her brother, and i am looking for maint manual and operator manual, so i can fix anything that i can without having to take it to the shop.the air filter foam was eaten off, so i hope he didnt run it nasty for long. i ordered a new performance air filter and a oil change kit from amazon and also picked up some diff fluid. will change all of that once it comes in. any and all help accepted. first time ever having anything like this, so i am  a newbie for sure. thanks.

• Like 2

The manuals are in a forum folder.

i only buy oem parts and Honda oil. Just make sure you only use wet clutch oil.

you will need an oil filter too. Don’t put it in backwards!

use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla 

• Like 2

The owners manual is very important too. I found best to buy printed copies from fleabay. Sometimes you can get a new one for very low price.

theres a service table in the manual.  Read it a couple of times to make sure you have correct parts and supplies.

i personally spray bolts and screws with deep creep a couple days before i wrench on an old machine. I also use 6-point sockets coupled with a 1/4” or 3/8” breaker bar to gradually loosen bolt heads. Don’t like using Ratchet heads for this.

Be very careful with those cross point screw heads—you will strip them right out—use a bit holder screwdriver and a fresh #2 bit.

3 hours ago, watcher6342 said:

my fiance just got a honda rancher 420 from her brother, and i am looking for maint manual and operator manual, so i can fix anything that i can without having to take it to the shop.the air filter foam was eaten off, so i hope he didnt run it nasty for long. i ordered a new performance air filter and a oil change kit from amazon and also picked up some diff fluid. will change all of that once it comes in. any and all help accepted. first time ever having anything like this, so i am  a newbie for sure. thanks.

your first mistake ?, wasting money on a '' new performance air filter '' wasted money, stay oem from honda make sure oil you get for the engine is wet clutch approved !..DO NOT USE CAR OIL IN THE ENGINE !. use 80w-90 gear oil in the front and rear diff's if its 4wd ?, if 2wd ?, then just the rear diff. most 420's are disk brake up front, drum in the rear, be sure to inspect or replace the pads and shoes if needed ?. if this atv has a snorkel ?, chances are its been in water..and maybe even sunk ?, there is no cure for a sunk engine unless you split the motor, clean it all out, replace any bad bearings while in there. i also would plan on replacing the cam chain with a REAL d.i.d cam chain, yes..there are fakes out there !. anytime you take a used atv under your wing ?, ALWAYS PLAN ON DOING A TON OF REPAIRS TO IT !!. never ..EVER..ASUME IT'S TURN KEY..LOL.

Welcome aboard @watcher6342.  Hopefully since it was family owned a little tune-up/maint will have it right.

If you do need to fix something, you're in the right place.  We'll help you out.

When you change the oil, be very careful putting the drain plug back in, and don't over tighten it.  The 420's are bad about stripping out and once they do there's no proper fix other than replacing the crankcase.

I use a short 3/8 ratchet and just snug it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, watcher6342 said:

thanks, i am looking to buy a maint / repair manual, similiar to childers manual.

Can't beat the factory service manual.  You can download it for free from the toolbar at the top of the page.  If you want a print copy, take the PDF to a printer and have them print it and put it in a binder for you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, watcher6342 said:

thanks, i am looking to buy a maint / repair manual, similiar to childers manual.

Please don’t waste your money on a non-Honda manual. 

• Like 2