Kev

Engine size - what do I need

Looking to get first quad to transport bags of corn  what size engine would be good for 15 stone man  thanks

its not just the engine, you got to consider the balance. some people reading this might not know.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Looking to get first quad to transport bags of corn  what size engine would be good for 15 stone man  thanks

You must be across the pond ??   We put 5-6 bags of corn on my Honda 300s , sometimes more , thats 250-300 pounds and up and it carries it no problem , 15 stones is about 210 pounds , right 

I'll jump in on this as I haul bags of corn as part of our hunting.  Not only do I load my 420 up with bags of corn, I often use my trailer to haul much more.  A key, among the other suggestions in this thread already, is your gear selection.  Obviously you gear down, go a bit slower so you don't stress the components of your ATV, etc.  I have a trailer that is rated for 1500 lbs, and have had up to 800lbs of corn in it.  I went all over our lease, down old logging roads and sometimes less, filling feeders and checking cameras.  When in certain areas, I'll put in 4 wheel drive to reduce stress on the machine and all is well.

How much corn do you think is the max that you would haul at once?

• Like 1

I take it as Kev is a 15 stone man , so that makes him about  210 pounds , and he wants to know how much corn can a cornchuck  chuck , if a   corn chuck could chuck corn , so then add another 300 pounds of corn ( about 21.5 stones ) on the front and back racks , everything bigger than a 250 recon  will handle that 36.5 stones GVW 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I take it as Kev is a 15 stone man , so that makes him about  210 pounds , and he wants to know how much corn can a cornchuck  chuck , if a   corn chuck could chuck corn , so then add another 300 pounds of corn ( about 21.5 stones ) on the front and back racks , everything bigger than a 250 recon  will handle that 36.5 stones GVW 

I would agree.  I bounce between 240-270 lbs (two boulders).  You and others know more about the minimal engine sizes, I just have experience with the one I have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep , since I quit smoking , I am just a wee  pebble short of  two boulders myself !!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If your hauling it on the machine or pulling a trailer would make a bigger decision on what to look for in a used machine. I could load an old atc110 up and go about anywhere I wanted. Small motor but geared low (low range) so it would have the power. No suspension so all I would have to worry about is the tires handling the load. Available models and price points (what your willing to pay and what the machines values) in your area also contribute to the purchasing of a machine. The motor size might play a small role in factoring in which machine to look for but other factors would come first.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kev said:

are you looking for a particalure brand ? or set on a honda ? 3 wheeler, or 4 wheeler utilty ? because a 300 2wd, or 4wd sounds right to me, plus the 3004wd was the most popular honda utilty honda ever produced....... and will handle what chores you plan on doing, I've had mine loaded down with over 400lbs of tools (tool chest on the front and back racks) @toodeep has a main point it's not just the engine size, but also the gearing along with other factors. if you have no experience pulling a trailer behind an atv, take your time, and be careful on hills and steep grades, you'd be shocked at what theses atvs can handle with the right operator!! these loads were pulled in 2wd, thx to a 424 kick out>>> (middle pic) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

If you find one that you're interested in post it here.  Someone here will probably have had experiences with it and can advise you on what it can or cannot do. 

• Like 1

wow Wilson....thanks for sharing those pics.. I continue to be amazed at what folks ask our smaller 300s to do.

I really baby mine I guess.  on rare occassion, the wife wanted to see some of the flooding out back so she hopped on my 300 with me...that's about 430lbs total body.

and then there's the occassional 10ft trailer but loaded with branches and smaller limb cuts, not full sized firewood.

past life would see a couple bags of feed out to the plot, and a deer on the rack back home...again, nothing unusual nor pushing the bike.

• Like 2

I've had Honda TRX 420's for 12 years. They are incredibly powerful. I've loaded my 16 foot trailer behind it and pulled it on my land with a few thousand pounds of firewood with it. Traction is the limitation because it's 2 wheel drive.

• Like 2

thats got me beat ^^^^now that fellas ^^^^^ is a LOAD i don't think i could chance a 16ft were i had to go..... lol. i did have a very close call with the 97 she's got Carlisle tires, not like my 00 mudlites both are 300fwd.... anyways i stopped using the project bike, because well.... it's a project bike, or turned it into one.... lol..... okay okay to make a long story short, i started up to the house and it was muddy i and the load was on a hill, slowly making my way.... and i new i had to get some speed to make it up a hill, nope with those tires, back the load started to drag me tires still pulling forward, so i stopped shifted into reverse and jacked knifed the trailer and arrested the drag..... came REAL close to ending very very bad..... i stopped moved more wood to the front of the trailer  and spun around went back down to level ground, and unloaded a few logs and went on with my day. 

glad to shaire them, @Bighanded

Every farmer counts! Don’t overload the machine. Foreman 500 with boom sprayer.

3B1746BE-2D11-4F7F-9C8B-CD1A11378A20.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:47 AM, Bighanded said:

wow Wilson....thanks for sharing those pics.. I continue to be amazed at what folks ask our smaller 300s to do.

Well that time @basfnb got stuck, along with the landowner, you had three grown men at 250, 250, and 180ish all riding his old beater 300 back to camp.

Never missed a beat with 700ish lbs on it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that's got me beat hands down i was towing that much or more. 

Bet it was funny to see all those guys riding  that little 300 though, LOL

• Like 1

I'm sorry jeep, but every time you mention his name i picture him laid out on your heated floor drying his self off...... . LOL! I'll go ahead and ask how did that ordeal happen ive heard it before, but i bet a few newbies here haven't. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm sorry jeep, but every time you mention his name i picture him laid out on your heated floor drying his self off...... . LOL! I'll go ahead and ask how did that ordeal happen ive heard it before, but i bet a few newbies here haven't. 

We decided to go riding in a snowstorm, and got waaaay out on the farm before we realized that it was really, really cold. 

By the time we got back to the house, I was shopping for heated grips, and the minute @basfnb hit that heated floor in my den he stretched out on it and lay there like a bearskin rug.

bret3.jpg

bret2.jpg

bret.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

well...live and learn, i reckon, I've been there... sigh... lol! hey didn't he move away out west ? 

He moved to Missouri for a bit, then moved back, but he’s about 45 miles north of me now.  I told him not to move.  He didn’t listen 

• Like 1