Bossdaddy

WHEN ENGINE STOPS SOMETHING KEEPS SPINNING

I've got a 2004 Foreman ES 450 and when I turn the engine off something keeps spinning for 2-3 seconds after engine stops. It sounds like it's toward the front of the engine but not really sure. It like something is engaged and when the engine stops it continues the turn. Could it be the starter? I haven't had time to mess with it very much so thought y'all could get me started in the right direction. Help me again.

1 minute ago, Bossdaddy said:

I've got a 2004 Foreman ES 450 and when I turn the engine off something keeps spinning for 2-3 seconds after engine stops. It sounds like it's toward the front of the engine but not really sure. It like something is engaged and when the engine stops it continues the turn. Could it be the starter? I haven't had time to mess with it very much so thought y'all could get me started in the right direction. Help me again.

I'd say it is the  one way bearing , do you find that now when your rolling along under power and let off the throttle it will coast easier ?  Like the engine braking is no longer working , you can leave it like that , I rode a 300 like that for a couple of years till I went into it for another repair 

• Like 1

I agree, the one way bearing in the centrifugal clutch would be the problem.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I agree, the one way bearing in the centrifugal clutch would be the problem.

One of mine has been like that for years.  How long can one go with a bad one way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

One of mine has been like that for years.  How long can one go with a bad one way?

I've seen them go a long time in the old 300's so I will say a long time. lol  The chances of it getting so bad that it locks up the clutch are very slim but even then if it's a foot shift you just use the shifter as a clutch lever when starting and stopping, so you'll keep going.

• Like 2

Man you guys are impressive, y'all eat this problem right up. I just knew it was going to be another one of my major screwups. I'll go on and fix it after hunting season. Thanks guys as usual you did great.

• Like 3

Boss, just remember if and when you take the front cover off for clutch work or timing chain that you replace the one way bearing....lol

• Like 1

tuned in, I've seen this happen before with a friends 3004wd ..... a few years back, i don't recall if it lost engine braking. 

Mine has done this for a long time. Some times it will stall the motor out if I don't take off quick after putting it in gear.