Rusted Toyota

Best Way to Tie down ATV to Trailer

Just got a 14x7  ATV Trailer so I can carry 03 Honda Foreman 450 and a 01 Suzuki King Quad 300. It has side ramps in the front and rear gate also. Should one be loaded sideways in the front or both lengthwise? The trailer is wide so the ratchet straps will be long. Are floor anchors needed? Also looking at the wheel chocks with straps system. 

Any reviews of ATV Riding Parks around SE Louisiana?

New to this site and have found a lot of good info on here. Thanks to all.

hello rusted toyota welcome ATVH. you might contact @Fishfiles for advise on riding parks down around your area, he might show soon, anyway  you can post pics of the trailer ? 

I usually don't haul very far and all on back roads so I use very few straps. I would load them both lengthwise just because it's a lot easier than messing with those front ramps and if traveling at higher speeds it's easier on the plastics. When I do strap them good I use a strap at all 4 corners of the machine. If one strap fails the other will keep it in place until you notice it. I just tie to the racks or the frame since the suspension doesn't give a lot on these utility machines. Wheel straps would be the best for anchoring them but unless your traveling really rough roads or very long distances I've never seen any advantage over the extra hassle.

I can't zoom in good enough on the tailgate to see if it has the helper lift springs. If it doesn't adding them makes them really nice. You just lightly lift with your foot and the tailgate comes up easily. Something that's not needed but it makes the trailer so much nicer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rusted Toyota said:

Just got a 14x7  ATV Trailer so I can carry 03 Honda Foreman 450 and a 01 Suzuki King Quad 300. It has side ramps in the front and rear gate also. Should one be loaded sideways in the front or both lengthwise? The trailer is wide so the ratchet straps will be long. Are floor anchors needed? Also looking at the wheel chocks with straps system. 

Any reviews of ATV Riding Parks around SE Louisiana?

New to this site and have found a lot of good info on here. Thanks to all.

Walker is not too far from me , about an hour  ----  People seem to like Zona and Tower Trax in La. , Red Creek in Mississippi and Boulder in Alabama --- I got a 12 ft trailer , one side ways and the other long ways 

• Like 1

I've heard good things about Zona Park, that it's family oriented and a good time. Bought  my first  ATV, the  Suzuki after Ida to pull a drag to level the yard after the tree skidders tore it up. Been having so much fun with it that I picked up the 03 450 Foreman for my wife. Looking forward to summer!

Spent a lot of time decades ago in Slidell/Lacombe/ and Pearl River area. All of Piney Woods was a crisscross of logging roads. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rusted Toyota said:

I've heard good things about Zona Park, that it's family oriented and a good time. Bought  my first  ATV, the  Suzuki after Ida to pull a drag to level the yard after the tree skidders tore it up. Been having so much fun with it that I picked up the 03 450 Foreman for my wife. Looking forward to summer!

Spent a lot of time decades ago in Slidell/Lacombe/ and Pearl River area. All of Piney Woods was a crisscross of logging roads. 

I have heard people say the exact same thing about Zona ---- family oriented 

i edited the pic one of them came up on my end as (404 not found) might be my OS, @toodeep it's not easy to see (i agree) but i think the back gate is spring assisted..... those spring assisted loading ramps and gates are nice, that's a nice trailer you have there @Rusted Toyota 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

My trailer is very similar, yet a bit shorter.  I can put quite a bit of weight over the axle and put the nose of my atv on the front rail.  I ratchet the front down which takes care of that.  For the rear I use the pocket d-rings that go into the 2x4 slot (image below) and go from them to my hitch.  I slightly compress the shocks to add some tension and it's worked well.  If my trailer was longer, say a 16' one, then I wouldn't do it this way.  I also purchased the flush D-Rings the go into the bed and planned to use those, but since this is working so well I'm not going to do that.  On a 16' trailer I think I would, though.

61HR3aPxROL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WonderMonkey said:

My trailer is very similar, yet a bit shorter.  I can put quite a bit of weight over the axle and put the nose of my atv on the front rail.  I ratchet the front down which takes care of that.  For the rear I use the pocket d-rings that go into the 2x4 slot (image below) and go from them to my hitch.  I slightly compress the shocks to add some tension and it's worked well.  If my trailer was longer, say a 16' one, then I wouldn't do it this way.  I also purchased the flush D-Rings the go into the bed and planned to use those, but since this is working so well I'm not going to do that.  On a 16' trailer I think I would, though.

61HR3aPxROL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Dangit WM, now you posted something I didn't know existed, but suddenly need.  Have a link to those?

This place costs me a lot of money.

• Like 3

Thanks to all. Have a six pack of the stake pocket D rings on the way and will probably add some deck D rings as well so I have many options. Ordered the stake pocket D rings on Ebay for about $80. They do come in different sizes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Dangit WM, now you posted something I didn't know existed, but suddenly need.  Have a link to those?

I can't remember where I got mine, I've had them for a bunch of years.  Pocket D-Rings are a name they go by.

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

BUY SOME NOW!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hey WM when i saw those slots on @Rusted Toyota trailer. nice add with the removable d-rings! 

They come in very handy for all kinds of things.  You don't know how much you need them until you have them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

I can't remember where I got mine, I've had them for a bunch of years.  Pocket D-Rings are a name they go by.

you could likely find those at a truck stop or camper store (i would think) i can't use those on  my 5x8 no stake slots and she's got a metal mesh floor.so i use pull straps, hooked into the mesh floor where it's welded close to the trailer frame work...... but if i was going to be hauling all the time, I'd anchor to  the tires or as close as get to them (bikes suspension.) 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, Rusted Toyota said:

This past weekend I was given a Army/ Corps of Engineers map from 1969 of Old Town Slidell / Lacombe /Pearl River / Hickory , had a old crappy frame with plexiglass and stuck in in there just yesterday  ---- it shows logging trails , Camp Villerre , dixie Ranch and likely some of the spots you  " spent a lot of time on " ----my neighborhood doesn't even show up as it was like 1971 when they did this neighborhood 

Summer is coming , going to have to get you to fill out a resume , get the background check and blood work out the way and maybe we can get you over and go riding with us , LOL 

jv9SfK5rQnKANjdHRL08OA.jpg

• Like 1

need those pocket D rings on my tilt trailer! Ima be looking for dem alright 

yes definitely tie to the frame — not a carrier or bumper.

ive seen winches used to secure the front and hitch to secure the rear. BUT you need some length on those tie downs—can’t just run them straight down—the strength/security is in crossbracing. 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Summer is coming , going to have to get you to fill out a resume , get the background check and blood work out the way and maybe we can get you over and go riding with us , LOL 

i knew it wouldn't be too long before you asked him to joine y'all.... lol, he's in for some good times, and great food! 

• Like 1

yeah I've seen them winched down, at the time, i honestly never thought of it..... lol..... too young i reckon, but i gotta say if i was the type to load up the atvs for a long vacation / trip etc, i might think about a enclosed trailer, I'm all for keeping equiptment out of the weather! tarps / covers aren't the same...... anyways just my thinking :-) 

Generally winch manuals state not to use as a tie down. Hard on the winch.

Yes, winches are designed to pull a load, not secure it. Will it work, sure but so will some fencing wire. Use what is designed for the job and everything will last longer.

at this point id just go with an enclosed trailer not only do you have it strapped down, but also out of the weather. plus you have permanent dry storage, and she's >hopefully< under lock and key. 

Hey Fishfiles, So after the application, blood test and background check will I still need proof of vax? LOL. That's a cool map of times gone by. We would go shooting at the rear gate of Camp Villere at what was called rifle range pond. When I was a kid there was no Twin Span Bridge and Eden Isles was a marsh, Gause Rd was a gravel road. Times have changed. I have an old map of the East Pearl River that shows houses in Logtown, Miss, That town is gone for the NASA easement area. Gonna have to find that map.  

18 minutes ago, Rusted Toyota said:

Hey Fishfiles, So after the application, blood test and background check will I still need proof of vax? LOL. That's a cool map of times gone by. We would go shooting at the rear gate of Camp Villere at what was called rifle range pond. When I was a kid there was no Twin Span Bridge and Eden Isles was a marsh, Gause Rd was a gravel road. Times have changed. I have an old map of the East Pearl River that shows houses in Logtown, Miss, That town is gone for the NASA easement area. Gonna have to find that map.  

No vax needed !!!! 

Cool , I have watched documentaries on Log Town and have been to the Log Town remnants on my buddies UTV from Pearlington ,  I have friends that live in and some  have summer camps in Pearlington , few years back I  almost bought a camp right next to the boat launch in Pearlington , the one  north of the hwy 90 bridge    ---- I can hear the shooting at the  target range at Camp Villerre when the wind is right from my house 

When I was a kid to go to my neighbors grandfather's  farm in Covington from New Orleans , there was no I-10 , no Twin Spans or no I-12, it was across Hwy 11 bridge to 190 , took a couple of hours