Benji6552

New to the Forum

Hi all! New to the forum and new to the Honda Foreman world. I recently purchased a 2006 Honda Foreman S and when I wash it down after a ride, I loose the gear indicator and it will not start. Two horizontal lines appear on the indicator but the green neutral light is on. The first time that this happened, I started blowing out connections and sat a fan underneath it until it finally dried out, I guess. No clear indication of where the problem was and currently is. I am not a mud rider, more of a yard work, riding my little one around, and hunter kind of rider. Still if I can not get it wet with the hose it is not very reliable. I have read many threads on here about Electric Shift but none that pertain to my situation. I have cleaned the stator connection and the gear shifter connection at the rear right wheel that are high on the frame. I have also put Di- Electric grease in them. I had to dry out the connections at the left front tire the last time to get it to act normal. Not sure what those are yet..

Have any of you guys seen or heard of this? What in the world is going on with this machine? It appeared to be in really good shape 225 hours and 1100+ Miles. Thank you in advance for any help!

Welcome to the board.  More than likely water getting the the gear position switch plug. 

It's a grey square plug, and if you're sitting on the seat it would be right under your right butt cheek.

I'd check the wiring going to that plug as well and make sure you don't have a frayed/bare wire on that part of the harness. 

The gear position switch itself is on the inside of the rear case cover, so to replace it you have to pull the rear cover of the engine.  It can be done in the frame but it's tight and a PITA.

First thing I'd do is pull that connector apart, clean it well, and grease the plug, put it back together and see what you get.

Factory service manual is free in PDF format in the toolbar at the top of the page.  It will have some pics.

• Like 1

Welcome  Benji, jeep has some very good items for you to look at.  Definitely something getting wet if it only happens after hosing it off.  

• Like 1

Hi Guys- Thank you for the replies. I have cleaned and greased the right butt check connections lol. I hope that is all that is going on with it. The wires appear to be in good shape elsewhere. 

Is this a normal thing with Hondas or just bad luck?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and I would say it's just bad luck. You could keep the machine turned on or running while hosing off certain areas to see if the problem might happen and which area the cause is coming from. If you have my luck that never works though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Benji6552 said:

Is this a normal thing with Hondas or just bad luck?

Me and my buddies almost all ride the 05–11 Formans. While I have had a couple of electrical glitches with them, it’s usually just a bad connection. Never had any problem with mine even after getting it in a little bit of water

Water isn’t normally an issue.

E553535F-DB10-40C5-AECE-B8140929B4B2.jpeg