jeepwm69

"Free" 2004 450 Foreman, now a build thread.

Not sure what all is there yet. Friend of mine said engine and front end are there, so assume it's missing the rear end. 

Might end up being parts only, but the guy said I could have it if I wanted it. 

More pics to follow when I go get it.

B81BB5B2-65CB-41F6-85F3-4496A5A2031B.jpeg

• Like 6

Just went out and got it.  Floorboards too!  

Gonna need some work, will go through the engine, swingarm and rear end are gone, but rest of it appears to be there

My buddy who told me about it actually wanted a 500 like mine, and I told him to keep this one and we’ll fix it up.

Already has selectable 4wd, will swap 500 discs on it, keep the rest stock.

Will be leaning heavily on @Fishfiles and @shadetree and a few others. 

Will have to find tan or green fenders and a new meter for it too

• Like 2

You could leave it as is and put a Polaris sticker on it. 😁

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Will have to find tan or green fenders 

Nice score  ----  Tan will require some spray paint , think the only color  choices were mustard , ketchup and relish 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice score  ----  Tan will require some spray paint , think the only color  choices were mustard , ketchup and relish 

Yeah, but I remember an old thread where @shadetree pointed out that 400 plastics are the same as 450 plastics, so some tan 400 fenders should work.

Got this thing stripped down yesterday. whole rear end was missing including the swingarm.

This is now a build thread! Ended up being an 04

Engine actually looked really good. Connecting rod is tight top and a bottom, and the inside of the engine looked really clean. When I pulled the pull start off the back of the rear of the crankcase was shiny aluminum underneath it.  Bolts were all shiny when I took them out, so I don’t think this one has been bogged.

The shifter seal was free spinning on the shift shaft so I have a feeling the shifter seal went bad, oil drained out.  

Going to tear the bottom end down just in case. Clean it out, probably put a new timing chain on it although the OEM timing chains for these are $$$.  Are the DID timing chains for these good to go like they are for the 300s? @shadetree

List of parts right now, rear diff, axle, tubes, brake housing, and hubs.  Swingarm and driveshaft, ujoint and boot

New meter

New seat

seat bracket/battery cover (50 bucks for that?!)

New piston and bore with new top end gaskets

rear wheels (I have two extra fronts he can have)

I’m putting knuckles and disc brakes off of a 500 on this one out of my stash

He’s going to get new fenders and flares.  The mud guards for the heel are 75 bucks a piece for this thing!  I might try to rig up some kind of rubber flap depending on what he wants to spend/do.

Luckily the muffler seems to be in good shape

Definitely won’t be dirt cheap, but should be a good bike when we’re through with it. 

I’m figuring 600-700 for fenders and flares, and probably another 1000 for hard parts and machine work.

I sent the racks, bumper, aarms, and shocks with him to wire wheel and paint. 

One more question. One of the rear shocks on this thing was bent and the rear shocks that were on it were adjustable. All of the 450 foreman shocks on eBay are non-adjustable. Were they swapped on or were adjustable shocks available on some of the 450s?

• Like 1

Jeep I can vouch for the DID chains for the 450.  When I was rebuilding mine 2 years ago shade told me to get that one instead of OEM, first of all cheaper and second just as good for long term life.   So yes I would tell ya to go that route....

• Thanks 1

I can look today , I think my 450 1st gen 98-2001 has adjustable shocks and the 2nd gen 2002-2004 doesn't 

DID is good stuff -------   I don't know if the story holds water or not , but I have always heard that DID is the company that makes the timing chains for Honda OEM parts -------------   i have read the history on them , they got their start building bicycle chains in Japan in 1933  , they also make chain guides , adjusters and motorcycle rims , to name just a few things they make 

• Like 1

My buddy ordered a meter and seat from Motosport.  $208 for the new meter and $87 for a new seat, free shipping.

Fish, you happen to have an extra battery cover/seat bracket? 

Found this place, but by the time i pay shipping, card will charge me a foreign currency transaction fee, and more that likely be a month on the slow boat getting here I'd be better off just buying one here.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-trx450fm-2004-4-usa_model35243/plate-battery-hol_50311hm7000/

It's interesting looking at prices from that place though. Some stuff is WAY higher than here in the US, and some stuff is really cheap over there.

Also need a left side axle tube and maybe a rear brake backing plate (I'm not planning on fixing rear brakes, but still need the backing plate to hold the bearings and hub in place) if if you happen to have one.  I found a swingarm, driveshaft, and right axle tube in my stash of extra parts.

• Like 1

Did not find a battery cover , I should have a brake pate as I put disc on both my 450s , if I do still have the plate in would be buried in this orange gang box 

the 2002-2004 450 has the red shocks that are  not adjustable and have less and  smaller coils  ,   than the 98-2001 450 with the silver shocks , not adjustable and larger coils ----- 

I do have the axle tube and backing plate on a complete rear end ,  I'd want 300 for it like it sits all the way on the right

fullsizeoutput_f8c.jpeg

lLCFwrxJR3m7w29qqh+vWA.jpg

t+e1gB+IR+OuwZMch9XD+Q.jpg

KwOvQyMBRc6ufXXT+X1t2g.jpg

• Like 1

Weird on the shocks.  Looking at the rest of this rig it looks like a farmer rig, aka not modded, just a work bike.

I imagine shipping would be a deal killer on the rear end.  Not a bad price though since beat diffs are going for more than that on ebay these days.

Thanks for looking for me.  Now you have me wondering if I should try to do disc brakes on the rear of one of mine, and swap my brake panel to his rear end.......

26 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Weird on the shocks.  Looking at the rest of this rig it looks like a farmer rig, aka not modded, just a work bike.

I imagine shipping would be a deal killer on the rear end.  Not a bad price though since beat diffs are going for more than that on ebay these days.

Thanks for looking for me.  Now you have me wondering if I should try to do disc brakes on the rear of one of mine, and swap my brake panel to his rear end.......

SuperATV use to be $199 for the 450 rear disc kit  ---    just looked they are $239 w/ free shipping , you can get 10% off so about $215 

• Like 1

Helluva lot cheaper than trying to piece together working rear brakes with factory parts.......

• Like 1

I was just looking at brake backing plates for interchange compatibility they have it listed as 1st gen and then 2nd gen 450s , I would think all are the same , just part number is different , wonder if a 300 would be the same ,  looks the same ,  seen the price on a new one is $240 , wow 

you say your not worried about brakes , then do a brake delete 

Here’s one for y’all to consider. I’ll probably start a separate thread on it it will show up if anyone has the same problem in the future.

Tore the engine down this morning and the flywheel puller stripped out.  This outta be fun.

Flywheel was cut off with a plasma cutter.  Have a used one from ebay coming for $20.

Also ordered new carb boot/insulator, new pull rope and handle for the recoil starter,  new lower end seals (output, crank, shifter, reverse) and a new flywheel key, LOL.

Also ordered a top end kit recommended by @shadetree

New DID timing chain coming from G&H, new air filter, oil filter, spark plug. 

My buddy ordered a new seat and new meter, and is getting two near rear OEM wheels.

Got swingarm, rear shocks, rear diff, axle, axle tubes, brake backing plate, and hubs from Shadetree yesterday. 

So, going to get up early in the morning, get cases cleaned out well, and start reassembling the bottom end. 

If my buddy has his front A-Arms painted I'd like to get the rear end installed and get the front arms/axles/knuckles bolted on and get the thing where I can roll it around while I work on it.

Will post some pics when I get back into it.

• Like 1

I always like getting over the "hump" which I consider to be

when I have most all the parts gathered up and am ready to start putting it all back together 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm the same way.  Like getting everything ready to go, and then the project goes pretty quickly!

Still waiting on the used flywheel from ebay.  It's been sitting in Memphis since 3/15.

I did get the bottom end cleaned out yesterday.  Starter fluid is up over $3/can now, so cleaning out cases is getting pricey!

18 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Still waiting on the used flywheel from ebay.  It's been sitting in Memphis since 3/15.

I did get the bottom end cleaned out yesterday.  Starter fluid is up over $3/can now, so cleaning out cases is getting pricey!

i use my parts washer to clean my cases, save that 3 bucks a can !..lol.

• Like 1

let's see some progress pic's of this build !!, who's gonna finish their 2004 trx450fm first..you ?, or me ?..lol. prob you..as you know i go all out on my builds..lol.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

let's see some progress pic's of this build !!, who's gonna finish their 2004 trx450fm first..you ?, or me ?..lol. prob you..as you know i go all out on my builds..lol.

I'd put my money on you. LOL

Between the day job, the toddler, and now a busted knee, this one will be slow!

18 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'd put my money on you. LOL

Between the day job, the toddler, and now a busted knee, this one will be slow!

yeah..i've had day's like you did bro..hope ya get better !. hang in there..it gets better as ya age !..lol.