jeepwm69

"Free" 2004 450 Foreman, now a build thread.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Parts trickling in.  Big hold up now is the gasket set

97D08BF9-6F99-4B5A-BB71-43897496BC5C.jpeg

that looks very nice, you gonna have the complete fender set when all said an done ?, even the pull starter cover ?.

28 minutes ago, shadetree said:

that looks very nice, you gonna have the complete fender set when all said an done ?, even the pull starter cover ?.

Yep, the tan is still available for the 400, or at least everything but the rear fender.  The tank covers, kick start cover, and toolbox cover are backordered at RMATV until 4/24, but I ordered them in case the prices jump. 

The rear fender in the pic was from ebay.  Cost $120 for the fender and $110 to ship it!  Shipping is showing $140 on the one he has left, so I'm guessing he didn't figure shipping right on the one I bought.

Front fender I also got on ebay, also new.  Got it for $130 plus $20 shipping.  Not sure how they pulled of that shipping rate, but it's on the way!

32 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep, the tan is still available for the 400, or at least everything but the rear fender.  The tank covers, kick start cover, and toolbox cover are backordered at RMATV until 4/24, but I ordered them in case the prices jump. 

The rear fender in the pic was from ebay.  Cost $120 for the fender and $110 to ship it!  Shipping is showing $140 on the one he has left, so I'm guessing he didn't figure shipping right on the one I bought.

Front fender I also got on ebay, also new.  Got it for $130 plus $20 shipping.  Not sure how they pulled of that shipping rate, but it's on the way!

trx400's do not have a kick starter ?!..lol. they have a pull starter..yeah yeah..i'm giving ya heck..lol. glad ya got everything !.

• Haha 1

Gaskets finally arrived.

Watching that youtube video on a 300 rebuild, the guy used gaskets AND a skim coat of Hondabond on either side.

While I don’t feel like this is a necessary, I thought did occur to me that it might make it easier to remove gaskets in the future. Any reason not to do that other than to conserve Hondabond?

My buddy will likely keep this one forever and if he sinks it or does something else do it I might have to go back into it

15 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Gaskets finally arrived.

Watching that youtube video on a 300 rebuild, the guy used gaskets AND a skim coat of Hondabond on either side.

While I don’t feel like this is a necessary, I thought did occur to me that it might make it easier to remove gaskets in the future. Any reason not to do that other than to conserve Hondabond?

My buddy will likely keep this one forever and if he sinks it or does something else do it I might have to go back into it

you do not need to coat the gaskets with hondabond, that is a waste of good stuff. lay the gaskets on it..button it up. if he sinks it ?, you are going to be dealing with bigger problems other than another set of gaskets..lol.

• Haha 1

Just got an email from RMATV that the left tank cover is discontinued🤬

Anyone happen to know where I might get one?  I've been looking, but all the online places say no longer available.

83500-HM7-A00ZD

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Just got an email from RMATV that the left tank cover is discontinued🤬

Anyone happen to know where I might get one?  I've been looking, but all the online places say no longer available.

83500-HM7-A00ZD

they have green in stock..lol. i was worried about the tan color..it fits older models on trx400, they wont list it for the 450's..so now you have to locate used.

I figured Tan was on its way out, but showed as backordered so ordered it.

If I can find a good used one I can polish it up.  I'm sure some Honda dealer has one sitting in the back.  Trick is finding it.

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I figured Tan was on its way out, but showed as backordered so ordered it.

If I can find a good used one I can polish it up.  I'm sure some Honda dealer has one sitting in the back.  Trick is finding it.

when they say ships 7-10 day's ?, most times..its discontinued.

i highly doubt catfish has any tan fenders at his place ( that side anyway ) ?, i'll ask him next time i speak to him..but i doubt he has it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i highly doubt catfish has any tan fenders at his place ( that side anyway ) ?, i'll ask him next time i speak to him..but i doubt he has it.

Thanks.  I've got a couple of feelers out.  One will turn up sooner or later, but dang that's irritating when I've already got the front and rear fender NOS.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

diff body style..wont fit..and you can't afford it..lol.

You know I don’t want anything newer than my 09 Footshift!  We already had that discussion 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You know I don’t want anything newer than my 09 Footshift!  We already had that discussion 

yep, myself..i dont want anything new when it comes to atv's. honda does not make them like they did 30 yrs ago..its all junk as fas as i am concerned. i'll bank on my '89 trx350D foreman outlasting anything made new today, IT WAS BUILT RIGHT BACK THEN !.

• Like 2

Well,

On 3/31/2022 at 10:24 AM, shadetree said:

you do not need to coat the gaskets with hondabond, that is a waste of good stuff. lay the gaskets on it..button it up. if he sinks it ?, you are going to be dealing with bigger problems other than another set of gaskets..lol.

Well I put Hondabond on the gasket.  When I went to bolt it together one of the dowel pins was too tight for the bolt to go through, so I had to pull it back apart to replace the dowel pin.  Made a HUGE mess. 

So once again, the old codger gave wise advice to the brash whippersnapper, who had to learn things the hard way.

Got the cases back together yesterday, but little one kept me up all night so didn't get up early to finish it up this morning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well,

Well I put Hondabond on the gasket.  When I went to bolt it together one of the dowel pins was too tight for the bolt to go through, so I had to pull it back apart to replace the dowel pin.  Made a HUGE mess. 

So once again, the old codger gave wise advice to the brash whippersnapper, who had to learn things the hard way.

Got the cases back together yesterday, but little one kept me up all night so didn't get up early to finish it up this morning.

i'm waiting on my cylinder to be bored over, then i can complete the engine.

• Like 1

Well I got a little bit done this morning.  Got the back half of the engine put on, new gaskets, shift seal, reverse seal, crank seal.

I've been busy with the beaver dams and my ADD has me going all over the place while I'm out working around the yard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well I got a little bit done this morning.  Got the back half of the engine put on, new gaskets, shift seal, reverse seal, crank seal.

I've been busy with the beaver dams and my ADD has me going all over the place while I'm out working around the yard.

sooooooo..in other words...the engine is not running...right ?..lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm working on it!

I thought old people were supposed to be more patient!

yer half right..i'm old...just not very patient !..rofl.

• Haha 1

Got the front and rear ends put together over the weekend, got wheels on it to roll it around the yard, power washed/ super cleaned the frame, and painted the frame.

This morning I put the engine in the frame.  Before I started snugging down bolts I was checking it over and when I put the shifter on, the dang thing wouldn’t shift!

Back to the bench with it.  Front cover comes off, and while spinning the driveshaft I went up and down through the gears a couple of times.  Maybe it was just hung up before?  

Nope!  Put the front cover back on and it won’t shift again!

@shadetree @Fishfiles This is my first 450.  WTH did I do here?

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Got the front and rear ends put together over the weekend, got wheels on it to roll it around the yard, power washed/ super cleaned the frame, and painted the frame.

This morning I put the engine in the frame.  Before I started snugging down bolts I was checking it over and when I put the shifter on, the dang thing wouldn’t shift!

Back to the bench with it.  Front cover comes off, and while spinning the driveshaft I went up and down through the gears a couple of times.  Maybe it was just hung up before?  

Nope!  Put the front cover back on and it won’t shift again!

@shadetree @Fishfiles This is my first 450.  WTH did I do here?

if it will shift before you tighten down the front cover bolts..but not after ?, this tells me you got something wrong with some thrust washers in wrong spot ?, double stacked maybe ? on the shifter shaft. did you loosen the clutch adjuster on front cover all the way ?. is the adjuster binding up in the clutch cover or the change clutch part area on top of the change clutch ?. my very first thought has me thinking the problem is the adjuster and change clutch parts ?. MAKE SURE YOU ARE FACING THE CHANGE CLUTCH PARTS THE CORRECT WAY BEFORE YOU SET THE COVER ON !.

I might have something off with the shims and the shift linkage. On my way to work now but will try to look at it after work today.

It was hard for me to tell what went where based on the schematics as far as the shims were concerned

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

I might have something off with the shims and the shift linkage. On my way to work now but will try to look at it after work today.

It was hard for me to tell what went where based on the schematics as far as the shims were concerned

lol..it's very easy to mess up on those shims. i can tell you where every one sits..shaft has one shim that goes on first, slides down to c-clip, put shaft in case, slide top middle case on, then shim, then shifter parts, once all those are together, then the last shim goes on the very outer end, 3 in total.

• Thanks 1