jeepwm69

"Free" 2004 450 Foreman, now a build thread.

Messed with this one again some more today. Ran it with the air filter off and discovered that with my hand halfway covering the intake it actually ran pretty good. That kind of reinforced the ideas given here that it’s the carb.

Pulled the slide out and looked at it and it looked OK, so I put it back in.  No change.

so then I remembered that I had a brand new OEM 350 rancher carb sitting in my tool chest. Put it on and hooked it up and the wheeler ran great other than a couple of backfires on deceleration.

At least I know it was the carb and nothing in the engine.

So I took the car back apart and have it soaking in Berrymans.

it was cleaned and had a kit put in it by my buddies father-in-law who is OCD and is referred to as “Rain Man“ by my buddy.  He is a wizard on old houses, wiring, plumbing, and waverunners, but maybe he’s not so good with Honda ATV carbs lol

I’m going to clean it out and put it back together, and if it repeats what I did before I will try replacing the slide out of a parts carb I have laying around.

worst case scenario I get irritated and just told my buddy he needs to buy a new carb.

At this point I’m kind of dragging my feet on this so that as soon as @shadetree gets his yellow fenders in I can yell “finished!” and finish mine before he finishes his

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 5:54 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Messed with this one again some more today. Ran it with the air filter off and discovered that with my hand halfway covering the intake it actually ran pretty good. That kind of reinforced the ideas given here that it’s the carb.

Pulled the slide out and looked at it and it looked OK, so I put it back in.  No change.

so then I remembered that I had a brand new OEM 350 rancher carb sitting in my tool chest. Put it on and hooked it up and the wheeler ran great other than a couple of backfires on deceleration.

it was cleaned and had a kit put in it by my buddies father-in-law who is OCD and is referred to as “Rain Man“ by my buddy.  He is a wizard on old houses, wiring, plumbing, and waverunners, but maybe he’s not so good with Honda ATV carbs lol

I’m going to clean it out and put it back together, and if it repeats what I did before I will try replacing the slide out of a parts carb I have laying around.

worst case scenario I get irritated and just told my buddy he needs to buy a new carb.

At this point I’m kind of dragging my feet on this so that as soon as @shadetree gets his yellow fenders in I can yell “finished!” and finish mine before he finishes his

Hmmm, this carb thing had me remembering that 350 carb I never could get to run right.  I finally just replaced it.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/yet-another-project-lol-05-350-rancher.99586/post-1182593

I'm gonna blast this one out good with compressed air now that it's had 48 hours in the berrymans, and if that doesn't work I'm gonna let my buddy buy a new carb LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Hmmm, this carb thing had me remembering that 350 carb I never could get to run right.  I finally just replaced it.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/yet-another-project-lol-05-350-rancher.99586/post-1182593

I'm gonna blast this one out good with compressed air now that it's had 48 hours in the berrymans, and if that doesn't work I'm gonna let my buddy buy a new carb LOL

never rule out the timing maybe off on the cam. when i build an engine, i start with the cam chain first, then i check the rear pull starter cage to make sure the timing mark on the cage tab lines up with the raised arrow right behind the cage, about 1 o'clock. it is very wise to make sure piston is on top dead center , cam chain marks are lined up, rear pull starter cage timing marks line up. when all this is done ?, then rotate the pull starter cage counter clockwise off the timing mark, as you do this..the intake valve will start to open. if it does not ?, then you have the piston on top dead center on the exhaust stroke from the start off the cage marks. rotate the cage clockwise back to the line on cage tab, then rotate the cage 360, all the way around to where the line on cage lines back up with raised arrow, now rotate backwards again, as you do this, the intake valve will start to open. word from the wise: NOT ALL ENGINE PROB'S ARE FROM CARB ISSUES !.

On 10/22/2022 at 5:54 PM, jeepwm69 said:

HAHA..still no word on fenders ???..you might just finish before me after all !..lol.

• Haha 1

Got the rebuilt carb (this time I went through it LOL) and it runs good now.  Still has a slight stutter if you gag the throttle from idle.  If I ease into it it revs up fine, and if I gag it there's a one second hesitation then it revs up.  Gotta do a little tuning on it.

That sound more like the needle placement on the slide or the air mixture screw?

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Got the rebuilt carb (this time I went through it LOL) and it runs good now.  Still has a slight stutter if you gag the throttle from idle.  If I ease into it it revs up fine, and if I gag it there's a one second hesitation then it revs up.  Gotta do a little tuning on it.

That sound more like the needle placement on the slide or the air mixture screw?

make sure the diaphragm under the top is seated correctly ?.if its not ?, it wont have the correct vacuum .

• Like 1

Haven't updated this one lately, BUT, I put a new OEM 350 Rancher carb on it that I had in the shop (spare for my kid's rig) and it fired right up and ran great.

So new OEM 450 carb is arriving today that my buddy ordered, and once that's on, he should be ready to ride.  I'll post up some pics when I get the carb on and get everything where it should be.

He ordered new heel guards ($$$) and they're backordered, so for now we're just going to hang some rubber off the back fenders. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

@shadetree only took me about a year to get this one done!   LOL

lol..i think ?..i we ran neck and neck on these !..lol. i got my gals 450 done..but !..it has clutch trouble from what i found out when i went to back it out of my shop. i got new clutch parts in, just have not got her back in the shop yet, tear the front end down.

All that’s left for this one is the heel guards and skid plates. 

Heel guards are backordered for 200+ days, so he might never get those. 

BC95D8D8-EBB3-40D0-A827-4A65E45D62A8.jpeg

2003902E-BB01-4E4B-9CC3-C98D9726FEC6.jpeg

• Like 2