ZehnX

96 Trx400 Diff Oil Seal Size, Won't Start

I'm sure this is not an unknown issue, but here's the story.

I went to a local Honda dealer website and determined that the oil seals I wanted to replace for my '96 TRX400 Foreman front differential were Honda part number 91252-HC5-003. I ordered a pair from Ebay, size SDD7 22x48x11 and when I got them, they did not fit. I tried hammering in with a socket (lightly) and they'd kinda set in the hole, but not securely. so I filed with the seller to return them, saying the ones they sent were not equivalent to 91252-HC5-003.

I went back to the Honda dealer site and found this:

Screenshot 2022-02-18 112240.png

The ebay seller did not like this claim, and sent me a picture of an OEM Honda oil seal with the package clearly showing 91252-HC5-003 on the bag and SDD7 22x48x11 on the seal. She also suggested that 22x48x7 was the size of the inner ring of the seal. I went and found the old seals from my differential and cleaned them off to reveal that they are also SDD7 22x48x11; but one of them was at one time secured with gasket sealer and was loose when I first took the atv apart.

I went ahead and ordered 22x48x7 seals from the same seller and told her I was confused but wouldn't return the seals i just ordered regardless of whether they fit.

When they arrived, they fit Perfectly.

20220209_191542.jpg

What is the deal with this?

Also, the entire time I was working on the front diff, I had the fuel valve in the On position, and now it won't start. Could something in the fuel system have dried out and cracked in the frigid dry air?

Here's a beer for your troubles.

20220218_112919.jpg

• Haha 1

I think I would pull the spark plug and see if it is wet , or needs some cleaning , and check for spark , try another plug , drain the bottom of the carb bowl , might have some water condensation 

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I think I would pull the spark plug and see if it is wet , or needs some cleaning , and check for spark , try another plug , drain the bottom of the carb bowl , might have some water condensation 

thank you fishfiles, sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

You have the seal installed backwards. The last number is the width of the seal. I can't say I have ever measured these particular seals to see if the width is just the seal or the seal and the built in collar.

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

You have the seal installed backwards. The last number is the width of the seal. I can't say I have ever measured these particular seals to see if the width is just the seal or the seal and the built in collar.

Respectfully, the installed seals and the ones I returned clearly have an outside and inside. This one is installed correctly.

Are the ebay seals just some random seals or designed like the honda ones? The honda ones will look like this when installed. 

20220218_131633.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

Are the ebay seals just some random seals or designed like the honda ones? The honda ones will look like this when installed. 

The ones I installed are definitely some random seals. The Honda diagram definitely agrees with what you've said and showed. Toodeep, thank you for your patience and the picture.

I am now really confused about why the Honda site listing said 22x48x7 in the listing then.

Like I said I have never measured them, since I had no need. That added lip does sit the "seal" inside farther though and possibly could explain some of the fitment issues since the seal is meant to sit farther in. What you have should do the job though since a seal is just being a seal.

On the no start have you made any progress on diagnosing that? Fuel drained from carb, check for spark at the spark plug and so on?

On 2/18/2022 at 11:37 PM, toodeep said:

Like I said I have never measured them, since I had no need. That added lip does sit the "seal" inside farther though and possibly could explain some of the fitment issues since the seal is meant to sit farther in. What you have should do the job though since a seal is just being a seal.

On the no start have you made any progress on diagnosing that? Fuel drained from carb, check for spark at the spark plug and so on?

Thank you for the follow up toodeep, I agree with you on the seal, thank you.

I went to drain the carb and saw some knobs I didn't recognize, turned out one is a primer, so I punched it a bunch of times and it started right up. Took it out in the snow and did some drift-turns to prove the 4wd works, which it does. So Awesome!

Thank y'all for your help!

• Like 1