balljoints

Cat skid steer

My dad's skid steer he ordered months ago came in today. Man it's nice, I'm afraid to get it dirty lol , never driven one before so it was interesting with just a throttle pedal, all joy sticks.

He got tracks, forks, bucket, snow blower, heated and air condition cab. Super nice unit, he got it to clear the snow by our mini storage units. Supposed to get 10 inches of snow this week, so kinda excited to test it out! 

The dealer we got it from delivered with a dead battery. Not to happy having to jump a 80k machine with 3 hours on it, will be yelling at the dealer tomorrow 😂

20220220_135011.jpg

20220220_145720.jpg

20220220_135015.jpg

• Like 4

That is neat as all get out.  I'd have a blast on one of those just moving stuff around.  Be the first time in my life I'd be asking the good Lord for snow too.

About that battery,  demand a new one be brought out and installed no charge.  The battery in there already has a dozen nails in it's coffin.  Maybe more depending on how long it was dead.

Have fun and spend some time reading that manual.  Might save a life.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

That is neat as all get out.  I'd have a blast on one of those just moving stuff around.  Be the first time in my life I'd be asking the good Lord for snow too.

About that battery,  demand a new one be brought out and installed no charge.  The battery in there already has a dozen nails in it's coffin.  Maybe more depending on how long it was dead.

Have fun and spend some time reading that manual.  Might save a life.

Yeah I'll be reading the manual, so many switches and buttons haha! Compared to our tractors this thing was fantastic and lifted stuff like nothing! 

They were supposed to deliver it when I was available so they could go over it with us, you know what they did lol they show up on a Saturday to deliver it and my dad goes why are you here? The guy goes I called you, turned out the guy called 15 minutes earlier to tell us he was on the way.

Pretty apparent that once they got your money they don't give a crap about the customer anymore, pretty sad.

I grew up on Case skid loader and to this day I can not get use to the ISO pattern. The first Cat I ran only had ISO and I had to sit on my right hand all the time when moving the machine around. I got better throughout the day but my mind just wouldn't let go of what I knew.

• Like 1

always enjoy time in a skid...large or small.  have both available to rent in my area and since I own a 3500 duramax I can hitch to the big rental trailer no problem. But the smaller units I can get from Home Depot usually do just fine..just got be a little easier with them.

bout once every 3 years we get some back to back storms that dump inches of rain and I have to redo the driveway and road here on the property..so it's really just pushing gravel and smoothing things out work...snow would be fun.

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

I grew up on Case skid loader and to this day I can not get use to the ISO pattern. The first Cat I ran only had ISO and I had to sit on my right hand all the time when moving the machine around. I got better throughout the day but my mind just wouldn't let go of what I knew.

Yea i was struggling a bit..not gonna lie. I thought it was gonna be like our zero turn mowers LOL

59 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

always enjoy time in a skid...large or small.  have both available to rent in my area and since I own a 3500 duramax I can hitch to the big rental trailer no problem. But the smaller units I can get from Home Depot usually do just fine..just got be a little easier with them.

bout once every 3 years we get some back to back storms that dump inches of rain and I have to redo the driveway and road here on the property..so it's really just pushing gravel and smoothing things out work...snow would be fun.

Yea we got a 2500hd with a 6.0 the trailer is the issue now, tandem axle rated for 7k, the ! thing is over 8500 i believe, crazy she weighs that much.

We tried several machines for by our mini storage units, nothing worked that good for us, plowing is a pain cause so much gets pushed close to the door and we gotta shovel out every single door. Not to fun when you got 120 or so doors haha!! Will see what gets dumped on us tonight and tomorrow. 

I rented the brush cutter deck once to put on the front of the big skid..gotta say I was thoroughly intimidated by that machine..in part I guess cause it's out in front, not pulling behind..but I was going after 3 incher trees like they were grass

• Like 2

3 hours ago, balljoints said:

Yea i was struggling a bit..not gonna lie. I thought it was gonna be like our zero turn mowers LOL

You should have the H pattern option, I would think, on that machine which would be like operating a zero turn. That might still be just an option on the new machines, to select from ISO to H controls and they all don't have it? 

17 hours ago, toodeep said:

You should have the H pattern option, I would think, on that machine which would be like operating a zero turn. That might still be just an option on the new machines, to select from ISO to H controls and they all don't have it? 

its simliar just all with 1 joystick, just will take some adjusting 😄

those are the controls

image.pngimage.png

3 minutes ago, balljoints said:

its simliar just all with 1 joystick, just will take some adjusting 😄

those are the controls

image.pngimage.png

I don't know the 259D3 well , there is a very good chance it has a switch that will change the operating control pattern ,  for instance example , in one mode the left joystick is left track travel and bucket and the right joystick is right track travel and  boom , in 2nd mode , forward and reverse are on the same joystick  and boom and bucket on the other 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't know the 259D3 well , there is a very good chance it has a switch that will change the operating control pattern ,  for instance example , in one mode the left joystick is left track travel and bucket and the right joystick is right track travel and  boom , in 2nd mode , forward and reverse are on the same joystick  and boom and bucket on the other 

The main issue we had was to turn the chute and adjust, needed to flip a aux switch above our head then the buttons actually did stuff. All a learning experience lol

That looks like I would end up tearing something up.

I got decent on a bobcat back in the 90's cleaning out giant grain bins at the end of the season, but that thing had left and right levers for fwd/reverse, a lever for the throttle, and you worked the bucket with your feet.

I guess you get used to whatever machine you're working on after a little time in the seat.