Burns370R

02 Rubicon Transmission Failure

I just bought a 02 Rubicon that is in pretty good shape.  It starts but wont shift.  Previous owner said the trans went out on it.  Anybody know what the common failure is on these transmissions? Just looking for a starting point on what is typical.  I plan on pulling the engine and going through it. 

The early Rubicon’s had iffy oil pumps.  Hopefully it didn’t kill your Hondamatic.

i’m guessing that’s your problem though. If it rains the first thing to do would be to check the oil pressure.  If you nose around there are several people who have made oil pressure testers. 

If it is the HondaMatic, sadly a replacement is about 1500 bucks. They are considered non-serviceable by Honda, but 

@Brian Bertram might be able to rebuild yours if it’s not too far gone.

Another option is powersportsnation.com, which I believe offer rebuilt HondaMatics

The Hondamatics are awesome when they’re working, but very expensive to replace

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burns370R said:

I assume if mine has the D1, D2 and ESP modes, that it is a hondamatic?

i think all 2002 Rubicons were  Hondamatic , the Hondamatic unit is still available , goes for about $1,750 plus tax

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

i think all 2002 Rubicons were  Hondamatic , the Hondamatic unit is still available , goes for about $1,750 plus tax

Would you have a part number for that specific part?

I will, im not going to buy anything before tearing it apart.  Im going to try to test line pressure tonight.  Need to see if there is a write up on here with what fittings i need to test it. 

I have a factory oil pressure gauge in my shop. I’ll get a part number for you when I get home this afternoon.

It wasn’t cheap

If you download the factory service manual for the tool bar at the top of the page, it will give you directions on testing or pressure. It probably has that part number listed in it now that I think about it

Flywheel puller
07933·3950000

From page 10-3 in the factory service manual.

Clutch holder set

-    clutch holder plate

-    holder plate pin
07ZMB-HN20000 or
07ZMB-HN2000A
07ZMB-HN20100 or
07ZMB-HN2000A
07ZMB-HN20200 or
07ZMB-HN2000A

Remove the lock nut and washer.

Remove  the  centrifugal  clutch  assembly  using  the special tool.

Puller, 40 x 1.5 mm                           07ZMC-HN20100

Remove the  washer.

For clutches I just use a big 3 jaw puller.

For the flywheel I use an aftermarket puller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263575136256

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 Rubicon that I bought new.  A little over a year ago I noticed a noise on the right side of the machine when in gear.  I took it to a mechanic and after some time and testing I need a new hondamatic.  Well the cost turned me off right away so I have been sitting on the machine trying to find a rebuild or used one.  I am throwing in the towel and buying a new hondamatic (we love this machine).  My question for all of you is what else should I have replaced when doing this?  If it is going to be torn down this far I don't want to have to do it again.  Thank you in advance for the help. 

Get a hold of Brian Bertram (facebook).  He offeres complete reman motors for these things.  You cant buy the parts and build it for what he charges for a rebuilt engine + core swap.  I ended up doing it on mine and was way better off.

• Like 1

Do you have any other information for Brian?  There are more than 5 on Facebook with the same spelling.

Thanks

The oil pump was updated in the later Hondamatic Rubicons.  Definitely change the oil pump for the newer style (doubt the old pump part number is still available since Honda updated them)