Krypto313

2004 RANCHER 4X4 ES (TRX350FE) - gear shift issues, gear displayed is R but bike moves forward

So I have a really weird issue that I need some help, hopefully somebody has experienced this before 'cause it's got me in a tizzy. Bought the bike used and based on other observations and issues fixed my guess is that it's been sunk pretty bad and even potentially left in the water for a while... with that said:

Engine seems okay, replaced the starter, carb, solenoid, new battery, checked compression and with the throttle pulled it reads 120 and throttle at idle the reading is 80, starts on first try and idles fine. also adjusted the valves to spec, no weird noises while running and no smoke of any color ... based on this I'm pretty stoked since I think that at least this side of the bike seems to be a-okay

Gear Shifting tho' is a whole other animal... a weird one I may add:

- up down shift buttons do not work or at  least they do not shift the bike into the correct gears, the clicking noises are there but the display does not show the gears shifting so don't know if it actually shifts or not; my guess is it's not shifting

- manual shifting appears to work if I rock the bike and it almost feels like I am forcing the gear shifts for the display to show R (red reverse light on) and 1st... the weird thing is that it's really tough to catch it in N (green light on after multiple attempts)... once in N I can start the bike but I have to hold the manual shift lever and, for lack of better words, keep it in N otherwise it jumps out of gear and the display simply shows 2 dashes (--)... after a bit of back and forth between R and 1st I can typically catch the N and start the bike... just about every time the bike starts, if I let go of the manual shift, the display green light goes off and it shows the 2 dashes (--) while the bike is running

- here's the weirdest part... with the bike running, manually shift to R and.... the bike moves forward instead of reverse (WTF???)

- when the display shows any of the readings above (R, 1st or even the 2 dashes (--), they blink 8 times

So far I've done the  following in trying to troubleshoot this darn thing:

- new gear shift motor

- new angle sensor

- took apart and greased the reduction gears (3 piece assembly) connecting the gear shift motor to the gear shift spindle (some you tube videos show broken gears there but that is not the case with mine)

- new reverse cable, cleaned the reverse sensor 

The 8 time blink, according to my research indicates "8 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor, or control motor, or related wiring, or ECU" -- very generic and by process of elimination of what's already been replaced I'm dealing with a "faulty part" "related wiring" or "ECU".... well that's a mouthful to say the least and I have no idea where to go from here

Any help greatly appreciated

Did you use an oem angle sensor or ebay/amazon junk?

Sounds like your angle sensor or gear position switch is giving you issues, my reasoning there being due to the machine moving forward when showing reverse.

Sounds like your display is not showing what gear you're actually in, which is relayed by the gear position switch.

@jeepwm69 thx for the quick reply, the angle sensor is Honda... I actually bought one from partzilla and the other from Amazon... simply forgot I had them both on order ... anyway... tried them both and issue is same... so I would probably be pretty confident that the angle sensor is not the issue unless I ended up with 2 OEM duds

Regarding the gear position switch, and please pardon my ignorance here, are you referring to Part #10 (SWITCH ASSY., NEUTRAL (TOYO) 35600-HA0-003) or Part #11 ( SWITCH ASSY., CHANGE 35759-HN5-A11) on the  REAR CRANKCASE COVER blowup? 

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/35759-HN5-A11?ref=824f671f2806d4daf44f45b979ae04f6affe7be8

Download the factory service manual in the toolbar at the top of the page.

Look on page 22-11 for testing on the switch, which you'll do at the plug where the switch plugs into the main harness, right under the seat on the right side of the frame

If you are manually shifting it into reverse (not going off of any display but knowing you went from neutral and down to reverse) and it moves forward there is something messed up in the main transmission. Now if the shift arm or something else is messed up and it's not actually shifting then it might not be that bad. I wouldn't worry about the electric shift part until the manual shift part is figured out.

my money say's the end of the shift drum has broken off back at the gear position switch inside the case....very common on the trx350 ranchers. you can remove the rear stator case to check the end of the shift drum with a standard screw driver too see if you can spin the slotted end from the back.