Fishfiles

Happy Mardi Gras

Happy Mardi Gras  =  ( Fat Tuesday )  = ( Carnaval ) 

@56Sierra  , did you know ,   Mardi Gras in Mobile ( founded1702 ) , Alabama is actually older than Mardi Gras in New Orleans ( founded 1718 ) , even tho it is not as big of an event in Mobile ----  Anything going on in Fort Morgan today !!!   

@Fishfiles congrats on having a "normal" Mardi Gras this year, at least thats what I have read.  Gonna be wild and crazy down there, have fun and be careful.....

• Like 1

Friday Night in the French Quarters New Orleans , weekend before Mardi Gras 2023 

image.png

My hometown of Lacombe Louisiana has its own Mardi Gras Day parade / festival  , we will be out there on Fat Tuesday --- for $35 insurance fee you can ride your ATV , golf cart , UTV , horse or even a goat in the parade , maybe next year I'll get a goat , Happy Mardi Gras !!! 

Fun Fact : As far as people think ,  New Orleans and Mardi Gras is where it all started  right , but it was actually Mobile ,  Alabama that had the first Mardi Gras 

It is celebrated differently here and there , Cajun  Mardi Gras celebration is in Mamou , Louisiana --- 

First Mardi Gras: Not in New Orleans?

Some claim the earliest Mardi Gras celebration was in Mobile, Alabama, not New Orleans, but it depends on a few technicalities—and who's answering the question.

If you thought Mardi Gras—that annual celebration that marks the last day before the Christian season of Lent—began in New Orleans, you’re clearly not from Alabama.

Although The Big Easy in Louisiana is perhaps best-known for its Mardi Gras revelry, the port city of Mobile, Alabama, founded in 1702 by French settlers, lays claim to being the city that first observed the event, which means “Fat Tuesday” in French, and marks the the 40-day fasting season between Ash Wednesday and Easter.

Of course, this is up for some debate. Some point to 1699 as year the first American Mardi Gras was held, when French explorers Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville and Sieur de Bienville landed about 60 miles south of present-day New Orleans near the mouth of the Mississippi River on the eve of the holiday that dates back to Medieval days. Le Moyne dubbed the spot Point du Mardi Gras.

But Donnelly Lancaster Walton, archivist with the W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library at the University of Alabama, says though the holiday’s origin honors may be complicated, they go to Mobile.

“Apparently, as early 1703, the French held a type of Mardi Gras celebration in Mobile,” she says. “New Orleans wasn’t founded until 1718. Therefore, strictly speaking, Mobile had the earliest celebration of the two cities.”

What Mobile is trying to pull off is , they had the first Mardi Gras because the city of Mobile was officially founded before New Orleans , but New Orleans was partying way back before it was an official city ------  Iberville , Bienville , Jean Lafitte and the guys were throwing down Big Time in the Big Easy , when it was nothing but a fire pit on side da'Bayou , I kid you not !!! 

I am blown away with Mardi Gras history that I have learned this morning 

From 1976 till 2000 I had a boat slip with a travel trailer in the Pointe-a-la-Hache marina , it is about as far as you can go down the east side of the Mississippi River by truck , great fishing , shrimping , crabbing , oystering and hunting ---- I fished what we called  The Mardi Gras Cut , which is a place where the river flows thru into the marsh , and never knew it was the spot where Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville and Sieur de Bienville  supposively made landfall on Mardi Gras Eve ( which we locals call " Lundi Gras " ) and designated the land " New " Orleans 

I got another chapter to add to the story later 

image.png

image.png

At least 5 people shot at the Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans whilst the mayor was shooting the bird at float riders who wouldn't throw her anything during  the parade route while she was in her special reserved seating area that was empty , she could at least have had some unfortunate kids sitting in the empty stands

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

At least 5 people shot at the Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans whilst the mayor was shooting the bird at float riders who wouldn't throw her anything during  the parade route while she was in her special reserved seating area that was empty , she could at least have had some unfortunate kids sitting in the empty stands

I can understand her frustrations.   I only got 6 mini-moon pies at the Ft. Morgan parade yesterday and what's even worse no one was throwing cans of beer either.   WTH.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I can understand her frustrations.   I only got 6 mini-moon pies at the Ft. Morgan parade yesterday and what's even worse no one was throwing cans of beer either.   WTH.

Moon Pies are a treat , the vanilla one are out the box , we actually have a parade named Moon Pie and you can guess what the number one throw is ........ 

Happy  Lundi Gras !!!!

• Lundi Gras translates to Fat Monday in French. It is the day before Mardi Gras day (Fat Tuesday), every year. It is also known as Shrove Monday. The day is full of revelry and celebration. The day became significant in 1874 when Rex arrived by riverboat at the New Orleans riverfront.

Lundi Gras is a relatively recently popularized name for a series of Shrove Monday events taking place during the Mardi Gras. It includes the tradition of Rex, king of the New Orleans carnival, and Zulu King arriving by boat. This began in 1874, but the term Lundi Gras (French for "Fat Monday")[1] was not widely applied until 1987 when the arrival was brought back as part of a series of river-related events under the name of "Lundi Gras". Lundi Gras was the creation of journalist Errol Laborde. The event was staged with the cooperation of Riverwalk Marketplace and its then marketing director Carol Thistle Lentz. The events are detailed in Laborde's book, Krewe: The Early New Orleans Carnival from Comus to Zulu.

In 1874 (149 years ago), 18 years after the beginning of modern Carnival celebrations in New Orleans, Rex chose to have a grand arrival in New Orleans from the Mississippi River. Once on dry land, Rex and his royal court were placed in carriages and driven through the streets to City Hall. Therein, the mayor and various city officials would present King with the keys to the city and proclaim the rule of Rex in this mystical and temporary realm of Carnival. Typically, the proclamation decreed the beginning of Mardi Gras and Rex's reign at sunrise the following morning.[citation needed]

The Rex landing was a success, quickly becoming a treasured part of the Carnival celebrations which was unique to New Orleans, but no other country or parishes observed the Monday before Shrovetide. The landing continued until World War I stopped Carnival in New Orleans. When the parades again returned to the streets some two years later, the landing had fallen by the wayside, a seeming casualty of "the war to end war".

In 1971, the landing was recreated for one time only to celebrate Rex's centennial. In 1987, Rex once again made a grand arrival on the Riverfront at the foot of Canal Street but now with the phrase Lundi Gras attached to the events which would include concerts and fireworks.

The King of the Zulu Social Aid & Pleasure Club also participates in the modern version of the event; the Mayor of New Orleans usually attends as well to salute the two Carnival monarchs and turn over symbolic control of the city for the following day.

The chronology of the term's usage in the common language of the New Orleans carnival is generally misunderstood. While there has been some earlier historic use of the term not confined to New Orleans, the current Lundi Gras, referring to a group of New Orleans riverfront activities, is a relatively new rather than an old carnival custom.

32 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Moon Pies are a treat , the vanilla one are out the box , we actually have a parade named Moon Pie and you can guess what the number one throw is ........ 

Happy  Lundi Gras 

Last year more than a few floats were chucking cans of beer.  One float was tossing out those little airline bottles of booze.  I guess the figured throwing cans of beer was OK since it was Lite beer.  I think it was Gulf Shore stopped that fun when some kid got bonked on the noggin by an errant beer.  Parents fault if you ask me.  If you can't control your kids,  leave them at home.  Can't there be just one parade for adults?  Oh yeah, this year we scored a very green banana. 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Last year more than a few floats were chucking cans of beer.  One float was tossing out those little airline bottles of booze.  I guess the figured throwing cans of beer was OK since it was Lite beer.  I think it was Gulf Shore stopped that fun when some kid got bonked on the noggin by an errant beer.  Parents fault if you ask me.  If you can't control your kids,  leave them at home.  Can't there be just one parade for adults?  Oh yeah, this year we scored a very green banana. 🤔

The best parades to go to are the Italian American ,  and the St Patty's Day , they throw food , cabbage , potatoes , apples , bananas , garlic , onions , lemons , oranges , Moon Pies , Romain Noodles  etc , etc , you can looad up a grocery basket , they have become restrictive on throwing cabbages , you are suppose to hand them down , as people have been hurt  

• Haha 1

50 floats , 1,500 riders , 500,000 pounds of produce , that was 2019 

Today is the day , Fat Tuesday , the time to party hard , eat and drink till you are merry ---- we got a parade that starts a couple of miles from here at 12:00 noon 

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Today is the day , Fat Tuesday , the time to party hard , eat and drink till you are merry ---- we got a parade that starts a couple of miles from here at 12:00 noon 

Have fun, I haven't been to Madis Gras since the 80's.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 6:23 AM, Fishfiles said:

My hometown of Lacombe Louisiana has its own Mardi Gras Day parade / festival  , we will be out there on Fat Tuesday --- for $35 insurance fee you can ride your ATV , golf cart , UTV , horse or even a goat in the parade , maybe next year I'll get a goat , Happy Mardi Gras !!! 

Fun Fact : As far as people think ,  New Orleans and Mardi Gras is where it all started  right , but it was actually Mobile ,  Alabama that had the first Mardi Gras 

It is celebrated differently here and there , Cajun  Mardi Gras celebration is in Mamou , Louisiana --- 

u ride a goat, take pictures. that will always make me smile.

• Like 1