jeepwm69

85 TRX250 front brakes

Close to having this 250 ready to sell.  I've debated just selling it like it is, but I can't bring myself to not at least try to get everything more or less working.

Bought this thinking it would be an easy flip, needing a swingarm (which I got from @Fishfiles).

Ended up having to also get a carb from Fish, as well as doing some rear brake work (working now), still has a leaky petcock and front brakes didn't work.

This morning I decided to look at the front brakes and see if they were serviceable or seized up like Honda drum brakes usually are, and to my surprise, after adding a little brake fluid and bleeding a little, the front brakes still work!

Problem is, they work well with a pair of vice grips on the line applying some back pressure, but when I remove the vice grips, I can't get a firm enough lever to apply the brakes, even pumping.

If I clamp the brake line firmly the brake lever is rock hard.

Does this mean the brakes need to be adjusted out closer to the drums, do I still just have air in the lines, or what?  I've bled both sides a couple of times, clear fluid coming out with no air, but can't get a firm lever/ good brake function at the wheels unless I have the line partially clamped.

• Like 1

I would think either air in the lines or  out of adjustment , maybe a little of both ------  try working one side at a time , pinch off the hose to one side at a timer at  the tee and try to get one side working 

• Like 1

I don't see any adjustment on these things.  No knurled little wheel like on the newer models.

Nevermind, I see them in the schematics now.  Question is, how do I get to them?

There should be a rubber adjustment access plug on the brake drum , depending on your rims you have on it  , you might have to remove the rims to access that plug as the rims might be covering it 

#5 rubber plug goes thru a hole in the rim and then into the brake drum   ----- some rims don't have the hole 

image.png

• Thanks 1

you might have air in the bend nearest to master cylinder. Residual air always gets trapped here.

get the hose bend as level with the master cylinder

pull the rubber puck from the bottom of the master cylinder. Jiggle the brake lever and try to release that air. You’ll see bubbles rising from the pressure relief port

D7776AFD-65C9-484D-AAA1-FD130CE4BA22.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I'll try that.  I did notice the MC is not more or less level, but seems to be more tilted than they usually are.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'll try that.  I did notice the MC is not more or less level, but seems to be more tilted than they usually are.

Are the handlebars bent up , even it they are not , bend them down