WonderMonkey

How To Tell If Fuel Is Mixed (Chainsaw)

I purchased two 2.5 gallon fuel containers.  One of them was to replace my smaller fuel container I use for my chainsaw.  I filled one up and set it aside to mix in some oil.  I then went and did something.  I came back and grabbed the other EMPTY 2.5 gallon container and thought "WTF" didn't I just fill that?  I filled it and added the oil, went to get my can of spray paint to mark the container and of course never did, but I had GREAT intentions!

One of my containers has fuel with a blue tinge to it.  That should be my mixed fuel.  The other fuel (non-ethanol) is fairly clear.

Questions:

1 - The blueish one should be my mixed fuel, right?

2 - If I am unsure, what happens if I just pour both of them in my vehicle and start over to be sure?  I know if I use the wrong fuel in my chainsaw, it's cooked.  Will the added oil just cause a bit of smoke in my Wrangler?

Lessons:

1 - Don't do the job half way.  Mark the stupid fuel can and add the oil when the fuel goes in the can

2 - See lesson #1

3 - Drink heavily

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

FYI I already point and laughed at myself and called myself an idiot, but if you want to remind me, that's ok!

Hey ,  I am with you on the idiot thing !!!!   LOL -----      only 2.5 gallons of mixed ,  I'd burn it in my truck , mixed in a full tank ---- if you don't feel good about it ,   burn some ants , have a campfire , send it to needy Ukrainians so they can  make Molotov cocktails with it , naw , you couldn't ship that , I know , you might need it like them Ukrainians in the near future 

Mark the can before you fill it , next time  !!!! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hey ,  I am with you on the idiot thing !!!!   LOL -----      only 2.5 gallons of mixed ,  I'd burn it in my truck , mixed in a full tank ---- if you don't feel good about it ,   burn some ants , have a campfire , send it to needy Ukrainians so they can  make Molotov cocktails with it , naw , you couldn't ship that , I know , you might need it like them Ukrainians in the near future 

Mark the can before you fill it , next time  !!!! 

Can is already marked!  Before I came in to post my question I marked it.  Those that don't study their screwups are destined to repeat them and all that.

I think I'm going to top off my Wrangler in a few days to get rid of it.  Though I would potentially waste some oil, it's a far more expensive mistake to make if I fry my cainsaw.

• Like 1

WM, the blueish is definitely the mix, any idea how much 2 cycle oil you added for 2 1/2 gallons?  Should tell on the oil bottle how much to add and usually have a site window to see the amount.  Next time I will drive down to make sure you do it correctly....lol

• Like 1

Different people and manufacturers seem to have their own oil mix ratio preference ,  I put 2.5 oz.of oil  per gallon of gas ( quality synthetic oil )  , so 6.25 oz for 2.5 gallons of gas which is 50% 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

WM, the blueish is definitely the mix, any idea how much 2 cycle oil you added for 2 1/2 gallons?  Should tell on the oil bottle how much to add and usually have a site window to see the amount.  Next time I will drive down to make sure you do it correctly....lol

I put the correct amount in, and is actually the reason I got the 2.5 gal cans.  The bottles of mix I use go with 2.5 gallons of fuel.

Odd thing, though is that it didn't TASTE oily, is that normal?

• Haha 2

Blue is mixed.

I mix mine a little heavier than the 50:1 that most of my stuff calls for. Spark plugs will foul a little quicker, but cheaper and easier to swap a plug than a piston.

Won’t hurt a car/truck/Jeep engine to dump it in there, so if you feel better doing that, pour it on in

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Blue is mixed.

I mix mine a little heavier than the 50:1 that most of my stuff calls for. Spark plugs will foul a little quicker, but cheaper and easier to swap a plug than a piston.

Won’t hurt a car/truck/Jeep engine to dump it in there, so if you feel better doing that, pour it on in

I think I'm going to use it as vehicle fuel just to be sure.

Thanks for everybody chiming in!

If your 2 stroke oil is blue then the blue tint one is the mix. I screwed up once and got some clear 2 stroke oil and I hated dumping that mix into anything just because it looked wrong to me. I've filed my 4 wheelers with mixed fuel just because that was all I had around at the time and never noticed any effects from it.

• Like 1

i forgot to add the oil filled up my 51 husqvarna, and had my buddy, cutting a tree down for me. needless to say it locked up. it scored the cylinder wall burnt part of the piston and the ring was in two pieces.  to replace the jug,piston and ring, was going to cost my plenty. so i sanded the cylinder wall, with 200 grit wet an dry, got the melted spots on the piston, off and bought a ring. $11.oo..... put it back together with the old gaskets. its still running good to day. it was a 1999 model.. 😁

• Like 1

I mix mine 3 oz. to a gallon of premium which is almost a 43:1 ratio.  I'd rather have a little too much oil than not enough.  I think I've read that the 50:1 was an EPA guideline but wouldn't swear to that.  

• Like 2

I run 32:1 in everything and have yet to foul a plug because of it. I have a ratio rite cup around (mainly for refilling motorcycle forks) for the mixing.

• Like 3

run your chainsaw. if its mixed, it will keep, running, if not, it will lock up..

just funning, dont do that.. the gas should have a green tint to it.  What is worth mentioning though, i had an opac gas can an the color of the gas would change, if left in the sun. just dont buy a gas can of this type to mix gas. store your gas different. probable best anyway.

Keep an eye out for what oil your mixing with. I have seen a synthetic 2 stroke oil that is a yellowish clear color,  when mixed it looked like straight gas.

I have specific cans here for my fleet of 2 strokes,  and I run 50-1

i marked my gas can for my chain saws with a black magic marker, weed eater, leaf blower, i run all of them just like i did when i had my 2-stroke , 25hp outboard mercury, 40:1 mix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

i marked my gas can for my chain saws with a black magic marker, weed eater, leaf blower, i run all of them just like i did when i had my 2-stroke , 25hp outboard mercury, 40:1 mix.

Mine is marked now, but this new can I failed to do so immediately and wished I had.

9 hours ago, LedFTed said:

run your chainsaw. if its mixed, it will keep, running, if not, it will lock up..

just funning, dont do that.. the gas should have a green tint to it.  What is worth mentioning though, i had an opac gas can an the color of the gas would change, if left in the sun. just dont buy a gas can of this type to mix gas. store your gas different. probable best anyway.

I did what you suggested and my chainsaw is now a brick.  Thanks.

Just kidding, I didn't do that.

• Haha 4