shadetree

2004 trx450fm/s

ah yes, the pleasure of fixing some one's atv that they thought it was a boat !?.. just picked this up from catfish this morning , got the motor out and split, try not to puke ?!

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I started looking at the pics scrolling from the bottom up , was thinking  wow , this engine looks like it was on the Titanic  and then was shocked to see who's project it was , @shadetree , going to have to call you " Swamptree "  lol

• Haha 2

This didn't have an airbox when you got it right?  Any way to see if it was outfitted with a snorkel? 

5 minutes ago, Goober said:

Woe that thing looks ruff as a cob

haha..yeah..its pretty nasty ( or was for the most part ), owner sank it..then i guess tried running it.

11 minutes ago, bcsman said:

This didn't have an airbox when you got it right?  Any way to see if it was outfitted with a snorkel? 

it had a an air box at one time...but i swapped my bad one for the one off this..and the muffler..to make that last 450fm i sold for 4k. no snorkels were ever on this.

just placed an order for a top end kit, complete engine gasket kit, d.i.d. cam chain, complete engine oil seal kit. cleaning off old gaskets now, and cleaning cases up, sigh..they are a mess !. spent 3 hrs yesterday just brushing the rust off all the rusted inside parts. crank is good !, that saved us a lot of cash. i still need to order an ignition switch, see about a muffler, air box, air filter, and no telling what all else it will need ?..sigh. i'll keep this thread updated as i go, stay tunned..same bat time...same bat channel !.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goober said:

Good to hear the crank is ok i was wondering if it got hydrolocked

do not know what happened to this motor..other than being sunk ?, the piston was trashed.

got a few parts in today, enough to build the bottom end almost complete, need my oil seals which i'm waiting on. here is what i got done tonight just now, i'm beat.

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

• Like 4

update: got my oil seals in yesterday, finished bottom engine build. discovered i had left out the oil filter screen..grrr..i could have left it out..it won't stop the engine from running..but if anyone knows me or my work ?, i hated the fact that i forgot it..and it would bother me..so..you guessed it..i tore the engine back down far enough to put the filter screen back in. it's a good thing i did too !..i noticed i had installed the cam chain sprocket 180 out back on the cam ?!!. hey..i do screw up..and prob not the only person who's done this ?, but i did fix it..no harm, no fowl. i got the lower engine installed back in the frame lastnight, top end piston kit shows to be here today, i'll get that installed, pick up some honda oil, honda oil filter, and '' should '' ?..get to do a test fire some time today. i'll post some progress pic's later on when i get this all done. jeep69 stopped by, picked up his 450 rear end, rear shocks, drive shaft, we chatted for a bit...always good to talk to another honda mechanic..thanks for the chat jeep69..its good to take a break here and there !..lol. i came out good on the ignition switch..brand new switch was in one of the trx500faa, so i temp hooked that up to check the shape of the meter/display. meter/display works, i buffed out the top cover, turned key on, it shows 694 miles on it ?..it has to be a recent new meter ?..no way a 2004 ( unless they did not ride it like i do mine ? ) would have this low of miles on it ?!. stay tuned , more progress pic's posted later !.

I got a suz jr50 ( that you can see in one of the pics ^^ ) i am working on, got some parts coming in today ( paid for over night shipping..we'll see ? ), should get it going again like new when i am done..i hope anyway ?. someone has worked on it..had the new gaskets on engine, but the kick start and cutches were not set right ?, fixed that. also noticed they installed a CHINA CARB !!!!..STOP DOING THIS FOLKS !!!..THEY ARE JUNK !!!. got a new oem carb coming, it should run great when i get that installed. i got too many logs on the fire around here it seems huh ?..lol.

• Like 6

You shoulda taken a pic of my 2 year old mini-me running around your shop grabbing everything LOL.

She was dead set on riding that little Suzuki, but mean old Shadetree wouldn't let her.🤣

Thanks for the rear end!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, jeepwm69 said:

You shoulda taken a pic of my 2 year old mini-me running around your shop grabbing everything LOL.

She was dead set on riding that little Suzuki, but mean old Shadetree wouldn't let her.🤣

Thanks for the rear end!

lol..i got a new piston ordered for that suzi, gonna rebuild the engine, the oil pump drive gear is bad, but you can run pre-mix, once all back together, catfish is in about 450 bucks right now in new parts from suzi, maybe we can cut your mini a sweet deal on this bike ?, i'd love for her to have it !. yvw on the rear end bro..glad i could help a bro out !.

• Like 2

update: well, as the story goes...if anything can go wrong ?..IT WILL !..lol. opened the piston kit i ordered from ebay ( same kit i've purchased 2 times already, plus told jeep to use them ). when i took the parts out of the box, i found the rings on the bottom of the box..UNDER THE CYLINDER SKIRT ?, yep..you guessed it..'' i wonder if the rings got damaged '' ?..YES..YES THEY WERE !..LOL. as you can see in the pic..both main rings were in pieces !..aghhh !!!. contacted the ebay seller, never heard back all day yesterday !, spoke to catfish, he say's he has a brand new shindy piston ring kit on hand..but missing one of the oil ring scrappers ?, i told him..i can use these oil rings from this kit...i just need the main two rings. so i headed to his place, but on the way, i stopped by my local honda dealership, picked up a set of std rings for a 2004 trx450fm/s they had in stock, $ 45.00 bucks, just in case catfish rings would not fit this cylinder ??!!. got to his place, checked his rings in cylinder, they were a great fit, so i came home, installed the top end, it al went together great, around 8:30 pm my time, i got the carb on, did a test fire, IT LIVES ONCE AGAIN !. 

Waiting on ebay seller to respond to my complaint , they offered me 8 bucks for the damaged rings ?, EVEN ASKED ME IF I COULD RE-USE MY OLD RINGS !, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME ??. lol i should send them a pic of the old piston, AND ASK THEM..WOULD YOU RE-USE THIS ??..LOL. gonna try to head out to catfish's place..pick up his 2001 trx450fm/s, grab some parts off it to finish this build when i get time today, i need some important parts off his to make this build complete. will update later when i get time.

IMG_0036 (1).JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

• Like 5

update: still no response from the ebay seller ?, but i did file a dispute with paypal and conatcted ebay over this piston ring problem. we'll see how they handle this. spent most of the day out at catfish's place trying to get the 2001 trx450s rolling, just so we could get it in my truck, finally was able to drag it to my truck, push it up in the truck bed, got it home, let me tell ya...its a royal pain in the butt to pull an atv by yourself !..lol. but i did it..just took a million times to go back an forth to turn the handle bars on the 2001 trx450s !..lol. got it stashed close by, as i will start removing parts off of it to complete this 2004 trx450fm/s build. got to change out the front tires ( picked up a better front set from catfish with more tread..but not the same name brand ? )..they don't match name wise ?, but oh well, i'm not buying all brand new tires for this, tire cost, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE HAS GONE THROUGH THE ROOF !. today is my BD, and i'm not even sure if i want to work on this at all ?, but knowing me ?, i'll get another breath of wind..and feel like doing something..lol.

I need to get some parts off this 2001 trx450s, and move them over to the 2004 trx450fm/s, muffler, fuel tank, air box, front bumper, front rack, front skid plate, then some paint work..aghhh..least the sun is out ?..maybe work up a sweat ?..lol. i did manage to get the front left brake hub torn down off the 2004 trx450fm/s late last night, tore it all down, cleaned all parts up, still need to do the front right brake hub, may do that first today if i feel like it ?, its easy work..so won't be too hard on this old man ( 58 today !..woohoo..lol ), i'll update this tread as i go.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

58, still a spring chicken.. HB

tell that to my sore body will ya !!..lol.

Belated Happy Birthday shade, I try not to recognize them anymore....lol

• Like 1

update: a tad more progress, got the muffler painted and installed, got the fuel tank heat shield all cleaned up and installed, i have the fuel tank on right now, but did not have it cleaned at the time i took this pic, i'll try to remember to take some more pics later. had a cust bring me a trx300fw for some brake work, made an easy 100 bucks, road it out, pushed the '04 trx450fm/s back in the shop, called it a night.

IMG_0039.JPG

update: did finish that trx300fw brake job, although, i was not happy with the front brake lever movement ?, it was hard like pressure ?, but for some reason..it was not moving the brake shoes evenly ?, yep..i went back in, pulled the wheel cylinders down, each side had a seized piston. fixed that. 

moved back to this trx450fm/s, needed front headlights, my first thought was to swap over the headlights from the '01 450s, nope, does not match up to front fender..grrr. then i looked at the headlights and bucks from the trx500faa, they look the same , bucket's too ?, pulled one out, sure enough it fit great !, parts fich does not show any headlights from a 450 list with a trx50faa fitment ?, but it does fit in the trx450fm/s bucket !. solved that for now. now i have to put all this front fender together, well..one has bad tabs worse than the other, so i thought..ok..i'll use the '01 trx450s front fender...NOPE !..the front grill mounts to the fender different than the '04 fender and buckets for the headlights..dangit !. back to the '04 front fender, front grill, headlight buckets, with the 500 headlights installed in the '04 buckets, mounted to the '04 front fender , HAVE I LOST YOU YET ?..LOL. all will be oem, except the headlights..which will have trx500faa headlights mounted in the buckets. honda wants 100 bucks each for these plastic lights ?, nope..not doing it !. i'll make do with what i got , ( i hope anyway ? ). stay tuned..more to come.

• Like 2