Ryan Marucheau

**BLUE SMOKE**

Hey I just joined! I’m looking at buying a 2019 rancher, guy says it has blue smoke, he thinks it’s the piston rings. I’m new into riding and new into Hondas. I just wanted to know if that’ll require a new top end and/or what else could be the issue? I appreciate any help!

usually if ya rebuild the bottom, ya rebuild the top. this was in cars or truck engines. i think the same principle applys. only 3 years old, and it has blue smoke? how many miles?., how much money do ya got to spend?

• Like 3

was it sunk ?, if so ?, it will prob need a lot more than a top end !. welcome to our forums.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 9:13 PM, Ryan Marucheau said:

Hey I just joined! I’m looking at buying a 2019 rancher, guy says it has blue smoke, he thinks it’s the piston rings. I’m new into riding and new into Hondas. I just wanted to know if that’ll require a new top end and/or what else could be the issue? I appreciate any help!

Like they said, if it's already smoking at 3 years old, most likely has been sunk and has all kinds of grit in the bottom end. 

You can slap a new top end on it and it might last a while, or it might pump that grit from the bottom end into your nice new top end and ruin it, so the only way to be sure is to tear the whole engine down, thoroughly clean it out, and reassemble with a new top end.

I sank one of mine years ago and the new top end lasted about 150 miles before it was smoking again.  The grit in the bottom end ruined the crank on that one too, so now if I get a sunk bike, it gets torn down, cleaned out,and anything out of spec gets fixed while I'm in there.  It's the ONLY correct way to handle a sunk bike.

• Like 2