sublime68charger

Stock Tire repair

Have a set of Stock tires for a Honda Recon got them cheap from a guy a year ago.  I got a set of chains put on the rear tires to help with winter time snow traction as the summer mud tires are over size mudlights for the Recon and they plow just fine but the stockers with chains dig a bit better.

Any way Kid took the ATV out for a ride in the bean field next to the hous and now the stock tires have a bunch of holes in them from the frozen been stems I'm guessing?  The Fronts are fine but the rear are like a pin cushion I stop counting when I got to 4 holes.  Thinking could I get Tire Jet and put into these and air em up and would they hold? Or due I just put a set of inner tubes in the rears and just run them that way?  Any other great tire fix it products not worth the hassle of putting plugs in all the holes as that would take alot of plugs im guessing.

Not a huge deal as I put the summer tires back on and they are a little tougher.  

Hole at the end of the zip tie

.20220227_140525.jpg

20220227_140152.jpg

I would go with tubes. I’ve ran tires for years with tubes in them. You could try slime or something similar but if it doesn’t hold you’ve got a mess to deal with.

The new formula of tire Slime is water soluble , it washes out very easy , it is like soap and after washing it out the rim and tire are super clean , the old stuff you needed gasoline to get it off ----- personally I think putting tubes in a mud tire is not a good thing 

if it were me ( AND ITS NOT ! ) i would just buy new tires. tubes and slime just turn me off..lol.

Tires wont be for riding in Mud thats what the over size Mudlight tires I have are for.

These would just be for winter time snow plowing if I really really need to get as much traction as I can.

The Recon woudl be my backup In-town snow plowing rig if my in town unit goes down and what ever ATV I have in town will need as much traction as I can muster as its the only snow removal tool I have intown. 

I have a Rancher 350ES that I plow with in town but it has a dodgy ES shifter and would rather have a foot shift ATV in town to plow with.

I have a 300 4x4 that is going to be my intown plow Quad but want to have the recon in the bull pen so to speak if my 300 4x4 goes down.   If the recon gets pressed into intown plow duty the tires will get swapped over to the stockers with chains.  I just need to have the stockers with chains set and ready to swap on if the recon has to become the intown plowing quad.

Plan is to keep the Rancher at home and Plow my driveway with it as I have a 50" County plow and the driveway passes I have to make at home the rancher and county plow will shine there vs having that unit in town.

Thinking I'll get a set of tubes and give them a try.  I have access to a manual tire machine so breaking the bead and putting a tube in the tire should not be to hard to get done.

Just didn't know if anybody here had used TireJet and would say its great and would seal them holes right up.

I may go the TireJet route yet to.  Have to price out TireJet vs Tubs and price compare.

Or get the tire size these are and due some CL shopping for a good used pair.  

I’d definitely try quad boss tire sealant. I did a lot of research when I was looking for a sealant and that along with word of mouth led me to this stuff. I’d definitely put it in as I really think it will take care of those holes now and pretty much the tire for the rest of its life. Never has to be taken out or replaced but if you do, it’s just easily washed out.

Liquid tube is a common sealant that works good. I hate the antifreeze with chunks slime so I will never recommend that. I would go with a sealant and plug the holes that still give issues. Tubes suck but work if in the right environment. Whatever pokes through that tire though will get the tubes as well but you can't just plug that and go.

• Like 1

I'd use sealant because as toodeep said, you'll just get punctures in the tubes, and tubes ain't cheap either anymore.

I though liquid starch was supposed to be a good tire sealant?  I have a jug of in the bed of my truck that I bought to try out, but haven't done it yet.  I think someone here told me to try it. 

My memory sucks!  LOL

• Like 1

I tried plugging the back tire on the Kawasaki and it still leaked.  Tried two plugs and it still leaked.  Put some of the starch in it and haven't added air since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1