frenchy

engine cut off

hi all, got a problem with my 2016 420 fourtrax, the engine goes on safety mode (i think) when i am using my fail mower behind it( on first gear, around 5 mp/h), going up steep terrain, the engine will only restart after waiting a few minutes, no such problem on flat road, could it be the carburetor or else problem??
many thanks for your help, chris

and aslo thanks you all for your help to rebuilt my drive shaft..

just guessing here ?, but does this atv have a bank angle sensor on it ?, if it does ?, it will be located left hand side, right above the muffler system on the frame rail. this cuts power to them when they detect a step angle in case of a roll over.

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

just guessing here ?, but does this atv have a bank angle sensor on it ?, if it does ?, it will be located left hand side, right above the muffler system on the frame rail. this cuts power to them when they detect a step angle in case of a roll over.

Thanks very much, will have a look at it in the morning

• Like 1

Water in the fuel is pretty common. The angle might just be enough to make it start mixing the water/gas and making it run... shitty. The only true way to know that is to remove the fuel pump, dump it into a container and then into a clear jar and see if there is any separation. While the fuel pump is out and you have anything to suck fuel off the bottom of the tank I would do that also and check it.

Hi, the engine doesn't run shitty, just run for a few second but with no drive then stop..only when going up hill for a few time while mowing, all fine on flat land thanks

I never did understand what engineer came up with a gizmo to shut down the engine when the atv gets in a bad angle ------ I am always in bad angles going in and out of ruts and that is the momnet you don't want the engine to shut down or do a limp mode / shut down 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, frenchy said:

Hi is it this one?? The famous angle sensor?? Could I unplug it?? Cheers

16482036108515072053768741344414.jpg

What's going on with the wire covering to the left of the sensor , looks chewed up ???   

Did you open the electrical connector and check for corrosion , and apply some dielectric grease 

On the 2016 the bank angle sensor is up under the handle bar area. Since the motor still runs and your just loosing drive that is not the issue. Is this a DCT automatic rancher or the foot - electric shift version? If it's the DCT is your oil level good and checked correctly?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, frenchy said:

21 hours ago, frenchy said:

On 3/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, shadetree said:

Sorry my mistake, year is 2010/2011, gears on foot, don't know about the gear oil, did check the drive shaft and engine one, all fine..

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

On the 2016 the bank angle sensor is up under the handle bar area. Since the motor still runs and your just loosing drive that is not the issue. Is this a DCT automatic rancher or the foot - electric shift version? If it's the DCT is your oil level good and checked correctly?

Sorry my mistake, year is 2010/2011, gears on foot, don't know about the gear oil, did check the drive shaft and engine one, all fine.

Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Those models will spit and sputter about when the fan would turn on when the fuel filter starts to get plugged. Once they cool off a little they run normal.

Hi, sorry had to leave the quad for a little while, did try again this afternoon, did work up and down for 30 minutes then lost drive again!! Stop it then came back 10 minutes later and was fine again!! When on normal road and was running good, put the mower back on and 15 minutes later same thing again!! It doesn't like been driven on very slow pace I think ~5 mph, has you said maybe the filter but the engine doesn't spot or sputter before it stop! You are maybe right, will have a go at taking it appart!! Look like a big job to me!!! Can't see anything to look at now!!!

Cheers Chris

On 3/25/2022 at 6:40 PM, toodeep said:

Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Those models will spit and sputter about when the fan would turn on when the fuel filter starts to get plugged. Once they cool off a little they run normal.

hi, just to say thanks for your help, did fit a new filter after been waiting two weeks to get it delivered!! and its working great now!!!

thanks again

• Like 2

Thanks for updating your post @frenchy

Doing so will likely help someone in the future who ends up here after searching their issue on the web.