marcuswayne

New to forum

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi welcome , I see got a   500 manual up to 2016 , not sure if the 2017 is the same 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QvEKFzoIUuZ809T18CwVIDToUJfelcG-

I saw that and I may download it. I'm not sure what differences there might be going into 2017. I came across a 2014-2021 service manual made by Helm Inc for Honda on Ebay so maybe very little has changed. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Honda makes very few minor changes most years. The 2016 should work fine for your machine and tell you anything that you need to know.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:29 PM, Stateboy said:

Greetings from Northern Michigan. I just picked up a white 2017 Honda Foreman 500 (TRX500fe2) with 500 miles. Its my first ATV and this one is all stock. I live near lots of state land that I'm looking forward to explore. I'll be seeking an owners and service manuals since neither came with the ATV. 

20220411_193248.jpg

Found a service manual yet? If not, check fleabay or order directly from your local Honda shop.

Recommend starting a new thread for you and your rig.

what maintenance experience do you have?

Review the owners and service manuals and perform the periodic maintenance items you feel comfortable with.

Oil and filter—wet clutch oil only, don’t install the filter backwards, use a crush washer on the drain plug and only snug the bolt—don’t overtighten or you’ll crack the case!

clean and oil the air filter

change brake fluid

So I have found some time to pull the motor off the second 86 honda fourtrax 350 that I picked up. The person that I bought it from told me he stoped riding it because it was smoking. I pulled the head off, removed the piston. The cylinder looks very good, the connecting rod bearing end that go's into the piston looks good. I'm thinking that I should do just the top end rebuild. Who would you recommend that I buy the parts from? Should I avoid  after market parts? Should I also change valve seats and guides? Is there a top end rebuild kit that I could get that would have rings, all the gaskets I need?

Thanks 

Edited by marcuswayne

7 hours ago, marcuswayne said:

So I have found some time to pull the motor off the second 86 honda fourtrax 350 that I picked up. The person that I bought it from told me he stoped riding it because it was smoking. I pulled the head off, removed the piston. The cylinder looks very good, the connecting rod bearing end that go's into the piston looks good. I'm thinking that I should do just the top end rebuild. Who would you recommend that I buy the parts from? Should I avoid  after market parts? Should I also change valve seats and guides? Is there a top end rebuild kit that I could get that would have rings, all the gaskets I need?

Thanks 

I would send the jug to G+H ATV and let them bore it to fit a new Shindy piston ,  which  they will supply , they will also supply everything you need to do an upper job  , about $220  >>>>>   definitely  rework the head and do the valve guide seals ----if you don't feel you can work the head , G+H will do that for you also , a two valve head goes for about $155 , you got a 4 valve head , sure that will be a bit more 

Thanks Fishfiles

I was thinking of doing the work myself, The cylinder still has the X marks on the walls from when it was honed. Was thinking of running the hone in the cylinder and just putting in new rings. The valve guides and seals I was thinking of changing. If things looked worse I would consider sending it out for rebuild. 

8 minutes ago, marcuswayne said:

Thanks Fishfiles

I was thinking of doing the work myself, The cylinder still has the X marks on the walls from when it was honed. Was thinking of running the hone in the cylinder and just putting in new rings. The valve guides and seals I was thinking of changing. If things looked worse I would consider sending it out for rebuild. 

X's on the walls doesn't mean it was done right or too specs , LOL 

1 hour ago, marcuswayne said:

Thanks Fishfiles

if the cylinder is worn out ?, out of round ?, new rings wont solve your problem. cylinder will need to be bored over to next size up, most oem rings for these from honda are discontinued today. you may want to check with g&h to see if they can bore it over, and get you a piston kit to match.