jeepwm69

Sideways engine case splitting (TRX300FW)

Looks like a correct straight line to me, just like it was in the previous picture. Shift through the gears with that cover off and while rocking the machine or just turning the clutch over and see if it's falling into gear or if you still have to hold the shifter up.

Doesn’t want to shift properly.  Pulls in first gear, pulls for a second in 2,3,4, pulls in 5th.  Pulls in reverse.

Does not shift smoothly.  Have to hit the shifter a few times to get it into neutral.  

I talked to shade, think I’m going to pull the clutches and look at them again.  If that doesn’t fix it I’ll have to pull the left cover and see if I didn’t get something together right on the other side.

I would guess  you pinched a plate or disc of the clutch , from misalignment when installing 

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

I would guess  you pinched a plate or disc of the clutch , from misalignment when installing 

Yeah I’m gonna pull that and check it.  They weren’t floating, but might be something else wrong in there

Got my new gaskets in over the weekend, but cold rainy weather forecast all week.

This one has me stumped though.

If it were the clutches, I would think it wouldn't pull in ANY gear.  As things are, it pulls in some gears, but not others.

Which makes me think maybe I didn't get the transmission put together correctly, but if that were the case, surely it wouldn't shift through ANY gears at all, right? 

Wondering if the left side of the engine I didn't get something in there right, and maybe the transmission isn't fully going into gear on those "non-pulling" gears?

Since I'm a "shadetree" guy I gotta wait for sunshine to dig back into it.

@jeepwm69 did you have the shift forks out and possibly get one or 2 in backwards or switched (FR/RR)? I'm not even sure if that possible I just can't think of anything that might be causing the issue.

6 minutes ago, toodeep said:

@jeepwm69 did you have the shift forks out and possibly get one or 2 in backwards or switched (FR/RR)? I'm not even sure if that possible I just can't think of anything that might be causing the issue.

I don’t think so.  But I won’t know without tearing it all the way back down, which I would prefer not to do. Lol. 

In my experience with 500’s, 420’s, 350 Ranchers, if you don’t get everything perfect in the transmission it won’t even spin over smoothly, so that’s why I didnt think it would be in the transmission, but I could be wrong.

I’ll pull the covers and have a look before I go drastic enough to pull the engine again, but that might end up being what I have to do