marcuswayne

Electric problems ( HELP )

My great nephew brought over his 1988 Honda Fourtrax 300

It ran but now it will not. No spark. I took the black wire off the coil and turned the motor over and there is no power on that wire. The green wire has continuity so thats good. He put a new pulse generator on and it ran after that. Why is there no power going to the black wire that go's on the coil even when you turn the motor over. With the black wire off the coil and I put my 12v meter on the black wire and turn the switch on, the black wire is 12 volts and very quickly it drops off to only 1 volt. Even when the motor is turning over it only reads 1 volt.

Mark

bad c.d.i. replace with a new c.d.i. from honda. THE 1988 IS A ONE YEAR ONLY C.D.I. !!!, do not waste money on china crap that claim all c.d.i.s are the same !.

2 hours ago, marcuswayne said:

I took the cdi off my 86 Honda 350 and still the same. 

Not remotely the same CDI.

Get an OEM CDI for an 88, or get one from Rick’s.  If you go the Rick’s route buy directly from him; lots of counterfeit china trash out there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcuswayne said:

Will this Honda 88 start up and run with out a batt. in it?

Not good for them.  Will fry the stator or CDI

• Like 3

5 hours ago, marcuswayne said:

Will this Honda 88 start up and run with out a batt. in it?

yes, it will start, and run without a battery, BUT IT IS NOT A VERY GOOD IDEA !!, you will burn out the c.d.i or the stator, or the reg/rec, ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD CHARGED BATTERY IN THEM !. 

• Like 1

Thanks Shadetree

My great nephew did tell me that he ran it one time with out a batt. in the wheeler. I didn't think it would. I'm new to wheelers and I do have to say Honda builds a great wheeler.

54 minutes ago, marcuswayne said:

Thanks Shadetree

My great nephew did tell me that he ran it one time with out a batt. in the wheeler. I didn't think it would. I'm new to wheelers and I do have to say Honda builds a great wheeler.

you should tell your nephew do his home work..lol. been doing this almost 30 yrs now, i know my honda's for the most part, DO NOT RUN THEM WITHOUT A BATTERY !. and you are welcome :-).

• Like 1