Bossdaddy

2003 Rancher One Way Bearing

I'm in the process of preparing to change the one way bearing on a 2003 Rancher 350. As some may remember I pulled the front cover on a 2004 450 Foreman to repair it's shifting problems so I know a little about how to get to the one way bearing on the Rancher. What I need advice on, is there any traps that I should be aware of when pulling the cover, parts falling off inside, springs ,etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

I'm in the process of preparing to change the one way bearing on a 2003 Rancher 350. As some may remember I pulled the front cover on a 2004 450 Foreman to repair it's shifting problems so I know a little about how to get to the one way bearing on the Rancher. What I need advice on, is there any traps that I should be aware of when pulling the cover, parts falling off inside, springs ,etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

first off...which one-way bearing are you talking about ?, there are two in that rancher, one up front, other in rear...which is the starter one-way bearing. bearing up front is the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing.

It's the one up front. I got the case off and the little triangle piece that goes on the adjuster fell off and I'm not sure which way it goes back on but I can find it on the drawings. Everything looks good under cover, very clean. The clutch will slip is turned against the motor compression so I assume it's bad.

1 hour ago, Bossdaddy said:

It's the one up front. I got the case off and the little triangle piece that goes on the adjuster fell off and I'm not sure which way it goes back on but I can find it on the drawings. Everything looks good under cover, very clean. The clutch will slip is turned against the motor compression so I assume it's bad.

unless you have the front section of the atv up in the air a good ways ?. it will be hard to install the clutch parts back in without them falling off. get the front of the motor up about 45 degree's, set the triangle part inside the change clutch bearing, the notch will face downward, the clutch shifting shaft arm will only slide back on the shifting shaft one way, its splined, the wheel on the arm rest inside/under the notch. now place the triangle ball part with spring down. it helps to dab some grease on this b4 you set it down in the metal part that you installed into the change clutch bearing. be sure you check to see if all if any ?..thrust washers are in their place ?, sometimes the clutch arm has a thrust washer on the outside end , i don't remember if the rancher calls for it there or not ?. all parts will show under clutch on micro fich.

• Like 1

forgot to mention, the centrifugal clutch is made to lock one way when turned, free spin the other way when turned. if it free spins both ways ?, then the one-way clutch bearing is bad. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THIS BEARING WITH THE WORDS STAMPED ON THE CAGE THAT READS '' THIS SIDE OUT ''. !!.. the words will face up when you set the bearing back down in the drum.

Everything stayed in place as far as I can see except for the triangle, and it looks like it goes back with the little spring towards the engine. Does anybody have a Rancher 350 service/maintenance manual they can download; I would like to have one.

3 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Everything stayed in place as far as I can see except for the triangle, and it looks like it goes back with the little spring towards the engine. Does anybody have a Rancher 350 service/maintenance manual they can download; I would like to have one.

you can down load the service manual from our site here for free.

22 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Look up in the toolbar at the top of the page where it says "Service Manuals"

It's in there under Honda Utitlity

• Like 1

Another thread I didn't finish. I got the one way bearing installed and everything back together no problem. The dab of grease on the little triangle was the trick, held it in place perfect. thanks again guys, couldn't do it without you!!

• Like 4

Howdy. Did 20220516_131445.jpgthe same job a week ago and this how set it up.

Edited by teamroper
this is a 2004 Forman S. The shifter triangle bearing and thrust washer may fall off. It is easy to put back on when up in the air like this.
  • Like 1