aruscha

88 TRX350D Clutch Trouble

I have an 88 TRX350D that I have owned for many years and use on my small farm.  Other than a cam chain and routine oil changes I haven't had to do much to it.  Recently, I have noticed in the higher gears under acceleration, the clutch seems to slip just a bit.  My father has a 300 2wd about the same age.  He recommended I adjust the clutch before doing anything more drastic.  Before using it to take my 5 year old back to the pond this weekend to catch some fish, I got into my service manual, and saw that I needed to remove the clutch adjustment cap (which broke tabs when I removed it).  I loosened the nut with a 14 mm socket, turned the adjuster counterclockwise until resistance was felt and went 1/4 turn back.  When I went to tighten the locking nut, it never tightened back up.  It feels like it is stripped.  Can anyone tell me if I try to split the nut and replace it, will that be possible without something coming loose inside the cover?  I am starting to wonder if I should look into having it taken in for a complete clutch job.  With the locking nut as it is, now the atv will not move at all, so I am going to have to do something.  Thanks to anyone that can offer some info!     

2 hours ago, aruscha said:

I have an 88 TRX350D that I have owned for many years and use on my small farm.  Other than a cam chain and routine oil changes I haven't had to do much to it.  Recently, I have noticed in the higher gears under acceleration, the clutch seems to slip just a bit.  My father has a 300 2wd about the same age.  He recommended I adjust the clutch before doing anything more drastic.  Before using it to take my 5 year old back to the pond this weekend to catch some fish, I got into my service manual, and saw that I needed to remove the clutch adjustment cap (which broke tabs when I removed it).  I loosened the nut with a 14 mm socket, turned the adjuster counterclockwise until resistance was felt and went 1/4 turn back.  When I went to tighten the locking nut, it never tightened back up.  It feels like it is stripped.  Can anyone tell me if I try to split the nut and replace it, will that be possible without something coming loose inside the cover?  I am starting to wonder if I should look into having it taken in for a complete clutch job.  With the locking nut as it is, now the atv will not move at all, so I am going to have to do something.  Thanks to anyone that can offer some info!     

do not destroy that lock nut. its best to pull the cover ( you should have a new gasket on hand first ), have a look at the bolt that goes through the cover. if the bolt threads are stripped ?, then replace the bolt with a new one if you can still buy it ?, if not..find a used one. if this were me ( and i know its not ), i would take in to consideration of replacing the clutch parts while you have the cover off. service manual is here on our site, its free.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info, I certainly appreciate it!  I will dig more into the service manual and see if I think I am capable of doing the work myself, see if I can find the parts, or find someone in the SW Missouri area that has been there before and knows what they are doing.  I wasn't sure if it was a regular metric nut or if there was something special about it.  The ol Honda is too good of a machine not to fix, especially when you price a new one!

2 hours ago, aruscha said:

Thank you for the info, I certainly appreciate it!  I will dig more into the service manual and see if I think I am capable of doing the work myself, see if I can find the parts, or find someone in the SW Missouri area that has been there before and knows what they are doing.  I wasn't sure if it was a regular metric nut or if there was something special about it.  The ol Honda is too good of a machine not to fix, especially when you price a new one!

everything honda is metric..EVERYTHING, ALL BOLTS AND NUTS.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, aruscha said:

Was you holding the adjustment screw with a screw driver while trying to tighten the lock nut?

Toodeep, I was not but the adjustment screw wasn't turning. Just the locking nut was. I used an open ended wrench to see the adjusting screw while i turned the nut to be sure.

Sorry guys, just seeing this. I can donate any clutch parts you may need. I'm in Pocahontas AR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Sorry guys, just seeing this. I can donate any clutch parts you may need. I'm in Pocahontas AR.

Welcome back Duck!

Thanks for the offer Duck. I am still trying to decide whether to tackle the job myself or have someone that has been into the older Hondas before do it. I priced the clutch parts and they were only a little over 100 bucks, if that is all it needs to get back up and goin.