Wheeler

Restore or Build is the Question

Well I acquired this Honda 300 off my buddy whom I sold it to years ago (as u might notice by the decals still on the quad haha) he bought it off me for 2k for his son. I had bought a red Honda & just swapped plastics. I had tuned it up & made sure she awesome when I sold it to him. I picked it back up for $500. Motor purrs like a kitten, warn winch works, every thing works. Well the bad.. the rear end clunks as it drives. Sounds ti me like a u-joint. The seat cover is toast, plastics aren’t top notch. 

So I’ve been flip flopping on what I want to do with it… frame off restoration & keep er all stock, or build er up with a BBK, lift ect like I did to the one I have now. I still have a working 424 kick out as well.. 

or… I could strip the bike down & keep all the good parts I want as spares & sell the rest…. 

Thoughts???

I’ll toss up better pics once I get home on Wed with it offloaded from truck.

CC1238AB-2F1B-41DE-8DBB-AE2D75859C6C.jpeg

CE0A791A-AB8A-4B2E-BCB1-F63371358BB4.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

300s are getting harder to come by , I would get it in working order without breaking the bank on it , keep it as a spare / back up , if it comes down to it in the future , you could make one out of two 

• Like 3

i would go with fishes idea...... they have just about all disappeared around here, sept for the few beat up ones that go to LJ's shop for repairs..... he's even having a a few issues getting ome parts, i cn this much, i didn't pay much for that 97 300 4wd ($1200) i wouldn't take twice that amount for it now, and the 2000 model ? HA! it will be buried with me, unless i let LJ's have it, but he has to agree to keep it as a collectors unit.

• Like 3

it's gonna be the rear diff, that is the weak point on the trx300's. i've never seen u-joints tear up. keep it, fit it up, trx300's are still like gold today.

• Like 4

I say just repair and enjoy. 

If you can get the rear end parts—might just be a moaning bearing—could be pinion, ring and axle.

Probably can still buy new seat
and send it😁

i prefer stock rigs; does that have a 355cc kit?

I’m asking $3500 for mine and I’ll ride it till i get it

8034F411-9FB4-47C4-9203-C66BB69199F9.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Well I acquired this Honda 300 off my buddy whom I sold it to years ago (as u might notice by the decals still on the quad haha) he bought it off me for 2k for his son. I had bought a red Honda & just swapped plastics. I had tuned it up & made sure she awesome when I sold it to him. I picked it back up for $500. Motor purrs like a kitten, warn winch works, every thing works. Well the bad.. the rear end clunks as it drives. Sounds ti me like a u-joint. The seat cover is toast, plastics aren’t top notch. 

So I’ve been flip flopping on what I want to do with it… frame off restoration & keep er all stock, or build er up with a BBK, lift ect like I did to the one I have now. I still have a working 424 kick out as well.. 

or… I could strip the bike down & keep all the good parts I want as spares & sell the rest…. 

Thoughts???

I’ll toss up better pics once I get home on Wed with it offloaded from truck.

CC1238AB-2F1B-41DE-8DBB-AE2D75859C6C.jpeg

CE0A791A-AB8A-4B2E-BCB1-F63371358BB4.jpeg

Sounds like a busted tooth on the rear end, probably from slack in the pinion bearing.

350D rear end, recover the seat, keep it, run it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goober said:

I say just repair and enjoy. 

If you can get the rear end parts—might just be a moaning bearing—could be pinion, ring and axle.

Probably can still buy new seat
and send it😁

i prefer stock rigs; does that have a 355cc kit?

I’m asking $3500 for mine and I’ll ride it till i get it

8034F411-9FB4-47C4-9203-C66BB69199F9.jpeg

No it’s stock clean 300 engine. Those are the old plastics from the 355 I have now. 

I'm on the fence with this one (whether to bbk it, or leave stock) ...... after all you have another 424 kickout, and a good working winch... from what you say all in good working order except the rear end noise.... i guess i would fix the rear end.... use the bike as qis, and when ? if the motor goes down, do a bbk.... but i would go ahead and drop in that 424...... one things forsure, if i was you, I'd sure hang on to both ofe them!! ...... heck if i could find another one at a good price I'd snatch it up, whether it be a 2wd, or 4wd...... there just so dang high in price now...... that is, if a man can even find one....... 

goober which one, i recall a picture of a tool shed,...... you posted that had a number of 300 4wd Hondas, or are those for work ? etc etc 

• Like 1

I think Wheeler should go all out on this one , start with a  250/350 rear end swop with axle paddle , 424  --- 4 inch lift , 4 inch portales , 12 inch stretch , 3 inch wheel spacers , disc conversion ,   34 inch tires , hear talk of a 102% reduction and a 400 big bore kit , oil cooler relocation with fan , 2k sound system , dual batteries , front and rear winches  , windshield fairlead , gun racks , ammo cans ,  following !!!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

wow! 102% with a 400 ? talk about a beast!! what would  be close to the top speed with a reduction that low ? oh and he will, i bet...... he built his truck made a beast out of the other 300.... even powered up a leaf blower.... (no telling what else) you know in the end he will do just that ^^^^ I'd also drop one those lockers in, like he did on the other bike, long as the original one has had no issues.whats the name of that locker again ? 

credit for the pics go to wheeler. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I think Wheeler should go all out on this one , start with a  250/350 rear end swop with axle paddle , 424  --- 4 inch lift , 4 inch portales , 12 inch stretch , 3 inch wheel spacers , disc conversion ,   34 inch tires , hear talk of a 102% reduction and a 400 big bore kit , oil cooler relocation with fan , 2k sound system , dual batteries , front and rear winches  , windshield fairlead , gun racks , ammo cans ,  following !!!! 

he better have some very deep pockets to do all of this ^^^^ ??, it won't be cheap..lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

he better have some very deep pockets to do all of this ^^^^ ??, it won't be cheap..lol.

Big Dog once told me at a circle jerk which I sadly admit I was throwed in the  barrel  , He took a big swig of the Crown Apple , passed the bottle to me and said  , "If you want to run with the Big Dogs you have to pi$$ with them too , or stay your puppy a$$ on the porch and quit all the barking " >>>  moral of that analogy  >>>   " you got to pay to play and there is nothing to say  " ---- 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Big Dog once told me at a circle jerk which I sadly admit I was throwed in the  barrel  , He took a big swig of the Crown Apple , passed the bottle to me and said  , "If you want to run with the Big Dogs you have to pi$$ with them too , or stay your puppy a$$ on the porch and quit all the barking " >>>  moral of that analogy  >>>   " you got to pay to play and there is nothing to say  " ---- 

glad its not my money..thats all i'll say..lol.

• Haha 2

Well boyz she needs some work. The rear diff was FULL of water. It just poured out. Hubs loose, she sits funny like something bent. Looks like wrong axle in front diff. Shocks are toast, muffler rusted out. But even the front & rear drum brakes work!!!  I’m in middle of washing it now. Looks Soo small beside my lifted 355! Im going to start with full tear down, (frame up) & get the ole paint shop going again. I’ll be using Krylon Farm Implement Black paint. I’ll just start replacing parts as I see find need them. I’ll keep y’all posted as what I do. But sad to say I won’t be doing a 4” lift. 2” for sure 26” wheels & motor up in air as what I’ll do. I’m thinking about another 355bbk as mine is sooo reliable! I don’t been a gear reduction either. I’m thing of getting a sled deck so I can take two quads to the bush so my wife can have her own! Time will tell. This won’t be an overnite project. 

99977FFB-2461-430E-BD85-0E41C6DE0D18.jpeg

5AE46251-EB62-4261-A21C-54C8E5ED52AF.jpeg

D786EEC1-5665-4B6F-A6A5-31659CDA5829.jpeg

9D9D8FF5-1818-4479-8C1C-77671AB4D10F.jpeg

C3AF843A-B95F-46F4-A2A1-7257991804FA.jpeg

36D08BAE-4251-4C27-A98F-AE402FA17DB2.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

deff front right axle is not correct !. 

I knew it as soon as I saw it. Not a clue what he put in it. He said he ordered them off eBay. The other one still at his house. But it’s no 300 axle. 

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I knew it as soon as I saw it. Not a clue what he put in it. He said he ordered them off eBay. The other one still at his house. But it’s no 300 axle. 

its a gamble when buying from ebay, over half the sellers on there sell the wrong parts, but '' claim '' it will fit..lol. you better know what you are looking at/for when it comes to buying on ebay !. also, when buying oem parts ?, ALWAYS CHECK RMATV OR PARTZILLA FOR A LOWER PRICE ?!, i've seen sellers on ebay selling meters/displays at a higher price than from rmatv or partzilla, rmatv is where i buy my honda parts.

• Like 1

So I have decided NO build or resto will happen. I’m going to keep the parts I want & part out the rest….

• Like 2

Part out had begun. The fender flares & Honda centre caps sold. All boxed up ready to ship in am. 

• Like 2

Good deal , them smooth flares ( pre-96 )  in good condition are worth a small fortune !!!

Did you ever notice them center caps come in two different sizes over the years 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Good deal , them smooth flares ( pre-96 )  in good condition are worth a small fortune !!!

Did you ever notice them center caps come in two different sizes over the years 

I had no idea the centre caps came in two different sizes. The smooth flares were in good shape but the bottom fronts have small tear. Nothing major at all. They were solid. He got a deal. $200 for all fenders & centre caps shipping included. 

• Like 1

Let's hope they fit , cause a return could make you lose money on the deal !!! 

• Haha 1

When I sell stuff, no returns.. better know what ur looking for….

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

When I sell stuff, no returns.. better know what ur looking for….

I hear on you the better know what your looking at , LOL < if you used Paypal , Facebook Money or Vemon or whatever they are calling it now days , the buyer has more  rights than you  !!! ----   I wonder if they are going to send the 1099 tax forms across country lines , it is 38% taxes now days  

• Like 1