Fishfiles

Classic / Hot Rods / Trucks

I had an 81 bronco with a 4 speed standard, 3.00 in the rear end, 86 mustang gt engine, 100 mph and she was screaming at 6k rpm. Drove that truck across canada twice, which sucks without cruise control.....😋

Edited by TBRider
  • Like 2

wow! 3.00 gear ratio ! that's high. that's more of a inline engine gear ratio... i bet she would scream.. lol .... i had a long wheel base chevy 73 (1st year of the square bodies)  ... bought it used ... the PO took out the 6 , and stuck a 350 in it's place ... with  3 on the tree... she was fast...  (no idea of the top speed) plus 100 mph, i got a few tickets driving her... i loved the days back then ... 

• Like 2

That first gen Blazer ( think they called it a K1 and about 72 they changed it ) , that was a nice one , the camper shell/roof came off at the windshield 

• Like 1

My Dad had a 78 Blazer 2 wheel drive and I wound up with it , drove it for a while , wanted 4wd , sold it , the guy I sold it to , sold it to his brother in law and it is still running on the streets , I ask about it all the time when I see him  

The idea behind the Bronco began with Ford product manager Donald N. Frey in the early 1960s (who also conceived the Ford Mustang) and engineered by Ford engineer Paul G. Axelrad, with Lee Iacocca approving the final model for production in February 1964, after the first clay models were built in mid-1963. Developed as an off-road vehicle (ORV), the Bronco was intended as a competitor for the Jeep CJ-5 and International Harvester Scout. Today a compact SUV in terms of size, Ford marketing shows a very early example of promoting a civilian off-roader as a "Sports Utility" (the two-door pickup version).[7][8]

Initially selling well, following the introduction of the Chevrolet Blazer, Jeep Cherokee, and International Scout II (from 1969 to 1974), demand shifted towards SUVs with better on-road capability, leading to a decline in demand for the Bronco.

Chassis[edit]

The first-generation Bronco is built upon a chassis developed specifically for the model range, shared with no other Ford or Lincoln-Mercury vehicle. Built on a 92-inch wheelbase (sized between the CJ-5 and Scout; only an inch shorter than the later CJ-7), the Bronco used box-section body-on-frame construction.

To simplify production, all examples were sold with four-wheel drive; a shift-on the-fly Dana 20 transfer case and locking hubs were standard.[9] The rear axle was a Ford 9-inch axle, with Hotchkiss drive and leaf springs; the front axle was a Dana 30, replaced by a Dana 44 in 1971.[9] In contrast to the Twin I-Beams of larger Ford trucks, the Bronco used radius arms to locate the coil-sprung front axle, along with a lateral track bar, allowing for a 34-foot turning circle, long wheel travel, and antidive geometry (useful for snowplowing). A heavier-duty suspension system was an option, along with air front springs.[9]

Powertrain[edit]

At its August 1965 launch, the Bronco was offered with a 170-cubic-inch inline six.[9] Derived from the Ford Falcon, the 105-hp engine was modified with solid valve lifters, a 6-US-quart (6 L) oil pan, heavy-duty fuel pump, oil-bath air cleaner, and carburetor with a float bowl compensated against tilting. In March 1966, a 200-hp 289-cubic-inch V8 was introduced as an option.[9] For the 1969 model year, the 289 V8 was enlarged to 302 cubic inches, remaining through the 1977 model year. For 1973, a 200 cubic-inch inline six became the standard engine, offered through 1977.

To lower production costs, at its launch, the Bronco was offered solely with a three-speed, column-shifted manual transmission and floor-mounted transfer case shifter (with a floor-mounted transmission shifter later becoming a popular modification).[9] In 1973, in response to buyer demand, a three-speed automatic transmission was offered as an option.[9]

Body design[edit]

In a central theme of the first-generation Bronco, styling was subordinated to simplicity and economy, so all glass was flat, bumpers were straight C-sections, and the left and right door skins were symmetrical (prior to the fitment of door-mounting hardware).

For 1966, three body configurations were offered, including a two-door wagon and half-cab pickup, and open-body roadster.[9] At its $2,194 base price ($17,507 in 2018 dollars), the Bronco included few amenities as standard. However, a large number of options were offered through both Ford and its dealers, including front bucket seats, a rear bench seat, a tachometer, and a CB radio, as well as functional items such as a tow bar, an auxiliary gas tank, a power take-off, a snowplow, a winch, and a posthole digger.[9] Aftermarket accessories included campers, overdrive units, and the usual array of wheels, tires, chassis, and engine parts for increased performance.

For 1967, Ford introduced the Sport option package for the Bronco wagon. Consisting primarily of chrome exterior trim and wheelcovers, the Sport package was distinguished by red-painted FORD grille lettering.[9] For 1970, the Bronco Sport became a freestanding model rather than an option package.[9]

To comply with federal regulations, the Bronco was fitted with backup lights and side marker lamps (in 1967 and 1968, respectively). After struggling with sales, the open-body Bronco roadster was withdrawn after the 1968 model year.[9]

After 1972, the Bronco half-cab was withdrawn; along with its lower sales compared to the wagon, Ford had introduced the larger Ford Courier compact pickup.

image.png

In a minor revision, for 1977, the exterior-mounted fuel tank caps were replaced behind hinged doors (as on all other Ford trucks).[9]

• Like 4

Fish, get that thing!  If you dig into it and it's too much, you could flip it and make some $$$ on it.  Last one I saw for sale was a rustbucket with dents and busted glass, no wheels and tires, and looked iffy even as a parts vehicle.  Hadn't run in years, interior was gone.  Guy in Oxford MS had it on marketplace at $3500.  Sold it quick too.

Well I looked into a procharger for my beast... shop wanted $12,600 for everything installed. Yaaaa but No!

did a bunch of research... my JBA 1 1/2” shorty headers are too restrictive for my 383. So I picked up his big brother! JBA 1 5/8 stainless ceramic coated long tubes today. Gonna add an H pipe as well. Then right on the dyno to compare before & after numbers!

45AE91EF-002C-4ABE-9EB8-65B448598644.jpeg

0C1542CB-B9FB-4F0E-A21B-2DDD9B987D5E.jpeg

3A63B693-3680-4DD9-9BB4-69A2EB324CC3.jpeg

3ADCF0D0-C81E-4CF2-AEEA-1BA9E696C7D5.jpeg

• Like 5

Fit like a glove. Exhaust going on tomorrow. 

55F18E4E-E750-4D25-96FB-F7FE401ADADC.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

looking good!! can you  make is a Audio / video of the Dyno test ?? I'm looking forword to hearing her hit that lick idling 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looking good!! can you  make is a Audio / video of the Dyno test ?? I'm looking forword to hearing her hit that lick idling 

I will for sure!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 3:18 PM, LedFTed said:

My 73 Cuda, 15 inch tires in the back.

DSCN0278.JPG

I think in 73 was a de-tune year , I would guess it had to be either a 318 or a 340 ,  no more 440s ---- they are suppose to be coming back in 2012 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, Fishfiles said:

I think in 73 was a de-tune year , I would guess it had to be either a 318 or a 340 ,  no more 440s ---- they are suppose to be coming back in 2012 

Yea, 72-on. These modern cars are so superior, but really.. no character IMO... -_- 

• Like 1

i was always a chevy,or ford guy... when it comes to the classics ... dodge just didnt cut it here back in the day... even now it's chevy , and fords at the classic car shows...   dodge just didnt make the grade...  they sure didnt win any Saturday nite drags races.. 

1.5” shorties no H pipe 3.73 gears with 285/75/16 rubber 

250rwhp

322rwtq

@3800rpm

1 5/8 long tube with H pipe 4.56 gears with 295/70/17 rubber

255rwhp

330rwtq

@3500rpm

• Like 1

DCE3CB3F-D348-4ED0-B78A-3B2459AF8241.jpegAlmost done with my car.

Been a slow process putting it back together this time,To many things to get done around here. Lol 

• Like 6

I should have snapped some pics of my son in law's car yesterday , him and a few of his friends stopped by the house , they were in a Poker Run for classic cars and we were on the route , he has a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass  455 , black on black on black , he has cloned it to a 442 , only thing he doesn't have is the 442 emblems , he is coming today to pick up grand daughter , so I can get some pics , I do have a couple in my text messages 

toomuch  these are the only two I have at the moment , he just got the new fiberglass  hood and had it painted 

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, tooomuch7 said:

That’s a good looking car.

His Dad gave that Cutlass  to him when he made 18 , he is 36 now , so he had it a while and done a lot of work to it over the years , it is pretty much finished now , or is it ever really finished ------   his Dad has a 67 or 66 Cutlass , totally different body style , I am not  fan of that early Cutlass body style , like the 70 style myself 

3 hours ago, tooomuch7 said:

I had that fan chromed probably 40 years ago,it works just fine.

no no ... i wasn't suggesting  it was the wrong fan .. just looks defrent from the ones ive seen ... even tho this is a vicious fluid clutch cooling fan (pic) i just noticed the blade curve.

image.jpg