Fishfiles

Classic / Hot Rods / Trucks

On 8/15/2020 at 3:40 PM, F250 guy said:

Well since ya asked a green Honda 300 with factory flares something to trail run. Or a 1986 CJ7 jeep, 258 straight 6, 5 speed twin stick t case, 33x12.50 tires on 15 inch wheels, but the im trying to decide weather or not to get this green 95 300 before it's gone or get the Jeep for 2,500.00. BTW both are the same price, vehicle or trail rig of my own so we being my mother m n me won't have to fight with my uncle just to bring two wheelers down for a trail ride this summer. 

What to do what to do. 

Been unemployed 8 months now, nobody's taking people with landscaping and mechanical experience. I wanna build engines and make a great living. Boy ya go to a trade school for automotive mechanic in highschool and after I get out, get hit with people passing away in your family left n right, then move then get a city mowing job for 7 months then can't find work after Christmas.

Nobody's hiring. I wonder if I should get supplemental income and do what I want to be happy. 

Screenshot_20200814-105058.png

Screenshot_20200815-163308.png

The 5 speed in that Jeep is a massive pile of crap.  Borg Warner T5.  They won't hold up long to even the 258 if you're running big tires and don't regear.  Stock with the T5 were probably 3.31's.  You'd need 4.10's to run 33's.

If you can find a T176 and swap in you'd lose overdrive but it's a much stronger transmission

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, F250 guy said:

Well this is what I was thinking about, or the Jeep. Had the frame replaced under recall has 250,000 miles. Seen the Jeep after this and thought hmm would be really cool. But I think practical wins.

Look up million miles Toyota Tacoma on YouTube. I was amazed. Plus I kinda had a soft spot for these trucks. 

Screenshot_20200815-172219.png

Get the Tacoma.  I'm a Jeep guy.  I have two CJ-7's and Dad's Scrambler, but you don't want a Jeep unless you have another daily driver, and Jeeps are 100% money pits.  Just Empty Every Pocket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i agree with jeep .... you'd have to regear ...when i see guys slap those big tires... on and the thought of re gearing never crosses there mind till theyve spent tons on over size tires.. lol.... my neighbor David's Son Kyle did just that.... and can't even get into 5 gear haha! and the gas milage now  ??? 10 miles to the gallon in forth.. he never drives that jeep anymore... 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 5 speed in that Jeep is a massive pile of crap.  Borg Warner T5.  They won't hold up long to even the 258 if you're running big tires and don't regear.  Stock with the T5 were probably 3.31's.  You'd need 4.10's to run 33's.

If you can find a T176 and swap in you'd lose overdrive but it's a much stronger transmission

Well right now I got a lead on a 97 ranger 302 swap done right but only issue is 35 inch tires and 6in suspension lift 3in body lift. 10,000 on whole converted drivetrain. 2,500.00 just keeping everyone updated. 

I have a 97 ford ranger
-302 swapped
-built c4 transmission with shift kit
-4wd
-custom grind comp cam(does have loop)
-led headlights
-Lifted 9” total( 3” body, 6” suspension)
-35x12.50r15’s on 15x10.
-Dana 30 front axle swap from an 87 Jeep Cherokee
-factory ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10 running gears
-dual shock set up in front end
-led headlights
-650 Holley carb
-aftermarket digital gauges
And probably more I’m forgetting.
Great running truck, and I enjoy it but bought another truck and just wanting cash or a fun car to drive
THE BAD:
-Has some play in the steering(typical lifted truck) may be tie rod end but I drive it everywhere
-speedometer doesn’t work

Hard to find a vehicle with no rust. But if that falls through I'll keep the suggestion in mind 🙂 if I do get that I plan on lowering it to a 4 inch lift, 3in suspension 1in body.  Losing the 35s planning on 33x12.50 tires

Screenshot_20200817-152305.png

Screenshot_20200817-152316.png

Screenshot_20200817-152424.png

Edited by F250 guy

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Get the Tacoma.  I'm a Jeep guy.  I have two CJ-7's and Dad's Scrambler, but you don't want a Jeep unless you have another daily driver, and Jeeps are 100% money pits.  Just Empty Every Pocket.

If the guy answers me back

Remember what we talking about , stay practical , you need something reliable to get you to work , so you can make money ,  to buy more hot rod toys ----- 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Remember what we talking about , stay practical , you need something reliable to get you to work , so you can make money ,  to buy more hot rod toys ----- 

I understand, but looks like it'll be more trouble than what it's worth. I'll keep looking. At this point I'm about to say  I'm done looking for a while. Just fed up nothing rust free. 

Well the shop I use has a deal for me.. I'm researching the heck out of it.. maybe someone here can help me out...?

I currently have a 383 stroker in my truck I use for towing mainly.. it has the stock vortec heads & a comp cam .308 which is for low to mid power. I only ever made 255rwhp & 330rwtq on the dyno. 

I NEED more power.. a must.. this motor should produce better than that!

SO... he has a set of Fast Burn GM Heads, Valve Train & Cam from a ZZ383 he is willing to sell & install... 

Anyone have any experience with that motor? I've read the Edelbrock E-Tec heads are comparable.. I'm just wanting to do my homework before I ever pull the pin... The truck main job is to haul my butt to the bush with a 7k+ trailer & gear....

Edited by Wheeler

Well, the GM Fast Burn heads, bone stock and unported with 2.00" Intake valves, 1.55" exhaust valves, 62cc chambers, 210cc intake ports & 78cc D-shaped exhaust ports outflow all other Factory GM hi-perf heads and outflow all Edelbrock heads., the Brodix Track 1 & Dart Conquest 200 as well, so if you can get a set in like new condition for less than $900-$1000 they will help you make torque.

BUT.... ya gotta dump that Comp Cams valvetrain, its useless junk. Call Ron Iskenderian (or ask me to) and ask him to grind ya a custom roller. Stock valves, retainers and valve springs are sufficient for your heavy hauling needs.You'll need flat top pistons or better to provide a sufficient compression ratio (minimum 9.7:1, 10:1 slightly higher is better, you'll need to run 92 octane fuel) along with a minimum of a 750 CFM carb on a single plane intake manifold port matched to the heads. You'll need headers primaries diameters of a minimum of 1 3/4" and a minimum of 34 inches long with 4.5 inch minimum diameter collectors, dumping into a high flowing dual-mufflers exhaust. For street use you'll need a mechanical & vacuum advance equipped distributor that you can custom recurve (35 degrees total with vacuum advance hose disconnected, all in by 2700 RPM or sooner) and gas stations spaced no further apart than about 240 miles. :-)

If ya can meet or beat those specs you can expect to net a minimum of  465 ft lbs of torque @ 3850 RPM and the torque curve be flat from 2300 - 5200+ RPMs. Rear wheel torque will measure considerably less. A fat wallet is required. :-)

Or, for a few 1000 bucks more you can build a genuine torquer small block from scratch. The 3.8" stroke 383 ain't in that class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Would love to have that.

You might want  to get a rider policy on your health insurance for extra coverage owning one of them , LOL ----maybe even fill out the pre-admit paper work at the local emergency room prior to riding .... 

• Like 1

Since day 1 with the new Edlebrock AVS2 Carb installed I’ve always felt it was down on power. Towed with it & great fuel mileage but down on power. I expressed this to the shop who installed it. They told me to try & adjust the AVS2 (air valve secondaries AKA 4 Barrels). So I read & watched YouTube ect. So I tried it.. well crap as soon as I loosened the lock nut BOOM the spring sprung & 4 barrels wide open. Took me a minute to figure out how spring went back in, then re read the manual. Well I got it back to stock setting then adjusted my way to try... HOT !!!  Power all back & works wayyy better. 4 barrels just needed turning on when to open. Very impressed now! 

• Like 2

I had first shot at this jewel yesterday -LOL-   I got to ride it and it is fast , we figure in the high 30s , I was a bit scared ----- he wanted $400 , I did offer him $200 and he wouldn't budge off $400 , if the wheels would have matched I might have gone a bit higher , that mudder is loud , which was another down point and the header is scary 

%YxlF1evTbqmqYKEM+OaRw.jpg

• Like 3