Fishfiles

Classic / Hot Rods / Trucks

I worked on this truck today , the windshield wipers , belongs to  the owner of a company I work on their heavy equipment , don't usually like to venture off working on heavy equipment and stay away from  trucks and such , but this one is cool , 1966 Chevy PU , with a 2016 LSA Supercharged engine and drive train , it is  for sale , I still didn't ask how much ---- Inthink it would be nicer with some paint 

8F9T9bidTQ+8ddCwoVK6ew.jpg

T0BOz10AQROq6xga0kHhVw.jpg

• Like 6

I figured you would have asked... Lol , but yeah,  i bet it would take a pretty penny to get that monster.... My father has that same body style..... But all factory, he had a custom paint .... Of metallic flake  grey.... Ha! He won't let me drive it.... Told me this is MY toy, you get your own.... 

Looks like a great custom fit ..... I see he even put the a/c back t work.... 

Im going to enjoy this thread! 

• Like 1

He is asking $50K for the truck , wow , too rich for my pocket book , I am sticking  with $300 basket case 300s LOL 

Was doing some reading on the LSA 6.2 Supercharged Corvette engine in this truck , it is SAE certified to 650 HP ---- a 6.2 crate engine goes for $12.5K , but it is not the same version and  only rated to 550HP 

If the truck had a nice paint job , it might be more admirable 

I like the patina. 

I've always liked those trucks, but IMO the prettiest pickups were the 67-72 GM trucks.  LOVE those.

• Like 1

1. Here are my two cars. The 57 I have had since I was 18 years old.Its been redone 3 times,the last time it was a body off the frame resto.The 69 I purchased in 93,drove it a little here and there. The car sat for almost 11 years until a year and a half ago when I decided to redo it.

C395D186-49DD-4C93-B87C-5A25A056F83B.jpeg

10271B9B-5499-42B8-807F-485654CB65E4.jpeg

• Like 12

Nice tooomuch7 , the 65 SS was my favorite , my Dad had one and I use to get to drive it a lot , but he would not give it to me as he said " you are  going to kill yourself if I give it to you " , he sold it to my cousin who was racing and ran a red light and hit a New Orleans Public Service bus with 20 people on board , no one was killed , but car was totaled , he went to jail , got 9 tickets and sued 14 times , and that is a true story , my Dad knew !!! 

Them people from Classic Parts called me up and left a message on New Years Day and told me the wiper parts for that 66 Chevy above will be delayed 3-4 more days , now I have to pass that on to my buddy and he wasn't too happy with 3-4 days less it was before and sure he will stress me out with something like  " call them back and see about some expediting it " , thinking of just waiting for him to call then sending him a text and end it with " it is what it is when you own a 66  " --- I should have known better than to get into working on classic cars 

Even though my new 383 has lots of power/torque I still wasn't happy with the performance towing... Goes in this week to swap out the 3.73s for a set of 4.56 gears.... Then she'll have some grunt! 

That truck you posted makes me drool..... 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21ed.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, tooomuch7 said:

OMG a 383 with 456 gears,apparently fuel economy isn’t high on your list!  LOL 😂 

Funny thing about that.... I've read lots on the Chev/GM forums.... guys that have swapped over to 4.56 from 3.73s for towing either kept the same milage towing or increased because it's not working as hard to pull the load... I tow around/over 7k & on the flats in 3rd it's "ok" but come to a slight incline & turns to a dog! Sometimes even kicks down to 2nd... this should help fix that! 

IF it turns out to be too low of gearing, there is a fix... larger tires!!!

Brutal part... this motor requires 91+ Octane! lol

Edited by Wheeler

Wheeler ..... Ever thought about 4.10 ? My 80 one ton chevy dump has a combo 4.56 with a 400 turbo. ..... Now she's got the grunt, but gas milage bites, on the interstate that 350 is screaming at 65 mph ,, now yours has overdrive trainy  the 700 automatic ?? I say this because that truck looks great with the rubber she's got on

Edited by _Wilson_™

29 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Wheeler ..... Ever thought about 4.10 ? My 80 one ton chevy dump has a combo 4.56 with a 400 turbo. ..... Now she's got the grunt, but gas milage bites, on the interstate that 350 is screaming at 65 mph ,, now yours has overdrive trainy  the 700 automatic ?? I say this because that truck looks great with the rubber she's got on

I have researched the heck outta this... 

I have read about 4.10s. But have read that people who made the jump from 3.73 to 4.10 weren't happy & wished they went to 4.56. IF I did that & was in the same boat as them, I have NO way of gaining more gear unless I went to a smaller tire which won't happen! 4.56 I can jump up a size to bring it back down. For $3k to get er installed, I want to make sure I'm getting enough change!

I read one long post about a guy who owned a 97 burb. He went 4.56 with 33" tires like me. He LOVED it. Towed about the same weight & could use 4th gear towing.. I have OD on a toggle switch & can lock in any gear other than 1st...

The other day I checked... 65mph in 3rd (1-1) I was at roughly 2700rpm. With 4.56 I should be around 3100rpm. So in 4th with OD on I'll be down around 2600 or so... Thats perfect for me.. lots of power on hand by a small push of the pedal...

My main puller is a an 01 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison. It likes it's fuel. I have a 61 Ford 3/4 ton 2x4 unibody sitting around waiting for the day I have the money and time to get it going again. I had the most fun in the 77 MGB but sold that along with the 86 K1500 and 84 K2500. Now my "hot rod" is a 14 Edge for mileage. lol I always wanted to stuff a 350 into the MGB but got an offer I couldn't refuse.

mgb.jpg

• Like 5

I have researched the heck outta this...

i figured you had.... Lol ....Just wanted to toss in, keep us update! And i thought you was gunno add 383 stroker on the sides of the hood scoop ?? What ever happen on that deal ??

11 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i figured you had.... Lol ....Just wanted to toss in, keep us update! And i thought you was gunno add 383 stroker on the sides of the hood scoop ?? What ever happen on that deal ??

lol I never got around to it to be honest. Kinda slipped my mind. But I’m all over now. Thx for reminder. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:13 PM, Wheeler said:

Even though my new 383 has lots of power/torque I still wasn't happy with the performance towing... Goes in this week to swap out the 3.73s for a set of 4.56 gears.... Then she'll have some grunt! 

That truck you posted makes me drool..... 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21f7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21ed.jpg

373's, seems similar, to some mo-power gears. was called airplane gears in the day. dont know why.. maybe i'm thinking of a lower gear. 270.

• Like 1

LedFTed I believe from what I have read, a lot of gears seem to be used in various vehicles. My old Nissan Xterra had 2.72s I think. Thats actually a really high gear... Higher the number lower the gear ratio.

3.73 = 41 teeth on ring & 11 teeth on pinion

4.10 = 41 teeth on ring & 10 teeth on pinion

4.56 = 41 teeth on ring & 9 teeth on pinion

4.88 = 41 teeth on ring & 8 teeth on pinion

She's in shop tore apart now.. I'm very excited to see how the new beast will run/pull ect...

• Like 3

I always wanted an old MG or Triumph (or a Austin Healey 3000).  Friend of mine growing up had a packrat grandfather who had two old MGB's, a 64 and a 65, back when they still had chrome bumpers and wire wheels.  I bugged him forever to sell me one, and one day they disappeared.  He'd sold both to someone for $1K.

My first ride was a 50 Willy's Jeepster.  Only made them 48-51, and my mom and uncle drove one when they were in high school.  My grandfather held onto it all the way till the early 90's, drove us around in it when we were kids, and taught me to drive in it, and then sold it right before I got my license.  I threw a fit and he said it was cobbled together and if it had been original he would have kept it.  I found an all-original just like it with the rare 6 cylinder in Belzoni MS and he agreed to get it.  I drove it for about a year before girls entered the picture and I found that they wanted heat, a radio, and roll up windows, and were not impressed with a 6 volt battery that required push starting fairly often, so we listed it for sale, sold it to a doctor in Memphis who said he was going to do a frame off restoration on it.  I parked it between a 57 Chevy convertible and a VW Thing in his garage.  Wish I'd kept it.   Paid $3500 for it, sold it for $4500.  My grandad split the profit with me and I used that as seed money to buy my 85 Jeep CJ that I still have.

As far as gears go, in my Jeeps I have 2.73's in the green one with 31's.  It's ok, but not ideal.  The tan ones have 3.31's with 31's, and it's about perfect.  At one time I bought an 83 with 2.73's and 33's, and it was a complete dog. 

These guys who say "My 420 Rancher turns 29.5 outlaws great with no GR" are full of it.  Gearing is important, and the laws of physics are pretty firm last time I checked.

First pic is the Jeepster I learned to drive in.  I'm probably 14 in that pic. 

2nd pic is the original that we bought in Belzoni, think I'm about 16 in that pic.  They only made about 20K Jeepsters, and only about 2K came with the 6 cylinder.  Rare care now.  Starting to get pricey.

Last pic is my current line-up.  Green Jeep is a soft top that I put around town in.  Tan CJ in the background has lockers front and rear and is my hunting rig (although most of the time now I just use my Foreman), and the Scrambler is Dad's that he bought new in 85.

My 83 GMC is rarely used.  Basically goes to the recycling dump when the bed fills up about once a month and that's about it.

jster3.jpg

jster2.jpg

Jeeps.jpg

Edited by jeepwm69
  • Like 8

On 1/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, Wheeler said:

LedFTed I believe from what I have read, a lot of gears seem to be used in various vehicles. My old Nissan Xterra had 2.72s I think. Thats actually a really high gear... Higher the number lower the gear ratio.

3.73 = 41 teeth on ring & 11 teeth on pinion

4.10 = 41 teeth on ring & 10 teeth on pinion

4.56 = 41 teeth on ring & 9 teeth on pinion

4.88 = 41 teeth on ring & 8 teeth on pinion

She's in shop tore apart now.. I'm very excited to see how the new beast will run/pull ect...

i get confused on high, an low. To me, 1st is a high gear. on the column, or the floor shifter..  maybe because the engine winds higher, you dont go no where, bulldog gears... on the 73 cuda, i counted the teeth on the differential. its been so long, i dont remember. i think the gear ratio was 273. it could have been 373.. 1st would wind out to 60mph. the shifter gears, after that, 2nd  90, 3rd 130, 4th 156.. the gears were not set up right.

i did want the differential to be 4.10, or 4.11..

in a way, it makes me think of copper wires. but, the lower the number, the thicker the wires. and stranded carries more current then solid wire..

Edited by LedFTed

On 1/15/2020 at 11:51 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I always wanted an old MG or Triumph (or a Austin Healey 3000).  Friend of mine growing up had a packrat grandfather who had two old MGB's, a 64 and a 65, back when they still had chrome bumpers and wire wheels.  I bugged him forever to sell me one, and one day they disappeared.  He'd sold both to someone for $1K.

My first ride was a 50 Willy's Jeepster.  Only made them 48-51, and my mom and uncle drove one when they were in high school.  My grandfather held onto it all the way till the early 90's, drove us around in it when we were kids, and taught me to drive in it, and then sold it right before I got my license.  I threw a fit and he said it was cobbled together and if it had been original he would have kept it.  I found an all-original just like it with the rare 6 cylinder in Belzoni MS and he agreed to get it.  I drove it for about a year before girls entered the picture and I found that they wanted heat, a radio, and roll up windows, and were not impressed with a 6 volt battery that required push starting fairly often, so we listed it for sale, sold it to a doctor in Memphis who said he was going to do a frame off restoration on it.  I parked it between a 57 Chevy convertible and a VW Thing in his garage.  Wish I'd kept it.   Paid $3500 for it, sold it for $4500.  My grandad split the profit with me and I used that as seed money to buy my 85 Jeep CJ that I still have.

As far as gears go, in my Jeeps I have 2.73's in the green one with 31's.  It's ok, but not ideal.  The tan ones have 3.31's with 31's, and it's about perfect.  At one time I bought an 83 with 2.73's and 33's, and it was a complete dog. 

These guys who say "My 420 Rancher turns 29.5 outlaws great with no GR" are full of it.  Gearing is important, and the laws of physics are pretty firm last time I checked.

First pic is the Jeepster I learned to drive in.  I'm probably 14 in that pic. 

2nd pic is the original that we bought in Belzoni, think I'm about 16 in that pic.  They only made about 20K Jeepsters, and only about 2K came with the 6 cylinder.  Rare care now.  Starting to get pricey.

Last pic is my current line-up.  Green Jeep is a soft top that I put around town in.  Tan CJ in the background has lockers front and rear and is my hunting rig (although most of the time now I just use my Foreman), and the Scrambler is Dad's that he bought new in 85.

My 83 GMC is rarely used.  Basically goes to the recycling dump when the bed fills up about once a month and that's about it.

jster3.jpg

jster2.jpg

Jeeps.jpg

nice pictures.. i had a green MGB, maybe 66. it had 2 6V batteries, behind the front seats. no back seats. for a small car, it was heavy. maybe a ton or more. i want to say 2,600. that car would hug the road, as, not flipping over.. i took a turn at 55, that i should not have done. it just went sideways a bit, the engine bogged down, and there i was trying to find 2nd. it had 2 carburetors. the engine was 4 cyl.. i wasn't use to the engine, as i never rebuilt one before. i did drain it of oil, and it sat in my bedroom for a spell, while i was working on it. when it came time, to put it back in the car, i had some friends, we hooked up 2 chains, front an back, run a pipe in the middle, and carried it out the house.. not only that, it was how i got the engine, back in the car.. i got to admit, it ran some better, before i did this.. but oil was going, into the radiator/cooling system.. water was always grey.

i did set the distributor back in the engine according  to the book.. it was 180 out. were i paying attention, some cars actually run better, when you change the distributor degrees, adjust the wiring accordingly...  i.e. pull it out, set it in, only the teeth dont match, cause ya turned the distributor gear. just adjust the wires on the distributor cap.

the 65 ford galaxy , with the 352, ran better 180 out.. the MG, i think was the same.. the 85 Ranger truck, 3000cc, is a different subject, it did need tweaking. belt driven timing..

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i get confused on high, an low. To me, 1st is a high gear. on the column, or the floor shifter..  maybe because the engine winds higher, you dont go no where, bulldog gears... on the 73 cuda, i counted the teeth on the differential. its been so long, i dont remember. i think the gear ratio was 273. it could have been 373.. 1st would wind out to 60mph. the shifter gears, after that, 2nd  90, 3rd 130, 4th 156.. the gears were not set up right.

i did want the differential to be 4.10, or 4.11..

in a way, it makes me think of copper wires. but, the lower the number, the thicker the wires. and stranded carries more current then solid wire..

I had a 68 Barracuda, 383 it had a 323 ratio.  Not much off the line, but later,  the stories- ah, but so long ago before radar and fuel was cheap.

• Like 3

We were sitting around one night a few years back, and two of my friends' dads were with us.  They'd grown up together back in the late 60's during the muscle car golden days.  One of them had a faster car than the other, so the slower guy convinced his dad to regear the rear end to 4.11's, telling the dad that he was doing it so that it would get better gas mileage.  The dad fell for it and paid to have the car regeared.  LOL

• Like 3

Cant find stuff like you could in the 80s or even 90s anymore for an affordable price. I got this old 66 Chevelle back in 89 for $1200(350 2bbl, 3-on-the-tree). Put a 454, Holly 750 dbl pumper mechanical with a Borg Warner 4 speed & straight (somewhat) dual exhaust in it the next summer. I may have had a total of $3000 into it. Those days are gone 😌😪

66Chev.jpg

• Like 9