Fishfiles

Classic / Hot Rods / Trucks

On 1/16/2020 at 10:41 PM, CamKnouff said:

I had a 68 Barracuda, 383 it had a 323 ratio.  Not much off the line, but later,  the stories- ah, but so long ago before radar and fuel was cheap.

i got my 64 barracuda, for bout $300.oo..  a friend of mine had traded it in at a dealer. i went over to the dealer the next day. i told em, i know the history of this car, an i will give you $300. i picked it up the next day. maybe it was a 65?.. it had a 273 solid lift. i tore 6 differentials out of it. it was a fastback..

the 68 barracuda was a nice looking car..  i like the way it looked over my 73cuda..

• Like 1

OK 1 more, the next spring when i pulled the engine out...after abuse 😂

454 out.jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

OK 1 more, the next spring when i pulled the engine out...after abuse 😂

454 out.jpg

Is that an OSHA approved engine hoist ?  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Outnback said:

Is that an OSHA approved engine hoist ?  :classic_rolleyes:

What is this "OSHA" that you speak of?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

What is this "OSHA" that you speak of?

Occupational Safety and Health Administration 

• Like 1

I was joking Fish....because most of us completely ignore all the OSHA bs they float out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, Wheeler said:

LedFTed I believe from what I have read, a lot of gears seem to be used in various vehicles. My old Nissan Xterra had 2.72s I think. Thats actually a really high gear... Higher the number lower the gear ratio.

3.73 = 41 teeth on ring & 11 teeth on pinion

4.10 = 41 teeth on ring & 10 teeth on pinion

4.56 = 41 teeth on ring & 9 teeth on pinion

4.88 = 41 teeth on ring & 8 teeth on pinion

She's in shop tore apart now.. I'm very excited to see how the new beast will run/pull ect...

i remember;;  i counted how many times the pinion turned. 3 and 3/4 roundabout. had to be a 373 under the 73cuda differential;;

1976 Ford F-250 4x4  had 4.10 in the rear and 4.09 in the front , crazy that Ford would have done something like that , the truck had a chain driven transfer case and ate up the chain a couple of times , been a long time since I was into trucks , think the transfer case was a New Process 205 or 208 , there was a gear driven transfer case back then ---- one of my buddies had a  under drive installed behind his transfer case , like a shiftable gear reduction ------that would be a cool thing on a four wheeler , the early ATCs had a gear lever 

• Like 1

Fish .... I believe the 203 is the chain drive model .... My 80 one ton chevy dump bed has a gear drive 205 ... With a pto side mount for the hydraulic unit... The trans shift pattern I'm the pic 2H N 4L  4H .... now we had a 75 chevy full time fwd. it had the 203 cast iron case version ...l now she was chain drive .... The shift pattern was ( left side of pic ) L lock, L, N, H, H lock ...many thought the lock, locked the wheels to posi.... That's incorrect!! , lock, locked the differentail inside the transfer case,  the 208 (i think) has the same shift pattern as the 205 .... And YES why would ford do a miss match between the front pumpkin verses the rear ??? Lol!!! All that would do, is wind up the drive train..... 

http://tcase.rsgear.com/technical/diagrams/ep-diagrams/new-process-203-transfer-case.aspx

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

1976 Ford F-250 4x4  had 4.10 in the rear and 4.09 in the front

All properly designed 4 wheel drive trucks have a faster front diff gear ratio than rear diff gear ratio to account for tire slippage percentage. All vehicle tires "slip" while driving vehicle weight down the road. A tire never provides perfect rotational traction with the road surface because they are flexible. The faster front diff gear ratio insures that the front tires actually perform work while in 4wd.

• Like 3

A faster front diff ratio is perfect of your on trials or off road all the time. The slightly faster ratio gives better steering, especially if you have spools, lsds or lockers. 

The Icelandic off-road/formula off-road guys all run a faster ratio up front to aid steering 😉

Realistically.... It's only going to work in a relatively high HP truck when your skinny pedal is to the floor!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, retro said:

All properly designed 4 wheel drive trucks have a faster front diff gear ratio than rear diff gear ratio to account for tire slippage percentage. All vehicle tires "slip" while driving vehicle weight down the road. A tire never provides perfect rotational traction with the road surface because they are flexible. The faster front diff gear ratio insures that the front tires actually perform work while in 4wd.

Why not run a centre differential? Such as land rover for example? It works very well indeed. The best to date was the viscous diff lock fitted to the later classic range rovers 🙂

We have a few jeeps available to us here in the UK and the T boxes always fail for some reason...

• Like 1

I have gone thru about 20 4wd trucks so far in my life , mostly Fords and a few Toyotas ------ that 1976 250 4wd full time ,long bed was the only one that I had , that  had different ratios front and rear -------- before it was stated here ^ , I thought the different ratios front /rear was a really rare thing , as I have never heard or read about any other 4wd truck that the ratio was different front and rear , but you learn something new every day 

I put some time and money into this 82 Bronco , ordered it from Ford with every opition available $25K , then added every option I wanted , it started the 351W variable venturi fuel system ( junk ) , cut the computer out , Isky Cam , Sneaky Pete chain eleminator , Eldenbrock manifold , Holley carb , Hooker Headers , water injection ( cheap gas ping eliminator )  , Mallory dual point distributor /and coil , 12 inches of lift , Skyjackker 6 inch indepent lift kit , 4 inch body lift and shock towers relocated 2 inches down , 4 shocks front and rear ,  Firestone air bags back and front with dash controller with gagues and on board compressor , Traxsion Lock front and rear , Warn winches in the front and rear / worked from the dash or from the bumpers with a plug in switch 82 Bronco XLT_crop.jpg , factory dual batteries , 10 lights , roof bar , soft toga cover , pulled all the carpet out and had the floor  sprayed with fiberglass , then  splatter colored gelcoat red/white/black ----- was a lot of fun , wish I still had this one 

• Like 3

Something I just thought of , I never bought that 76 F-250 new so I don't know for sure , and never paid much attention to any stickers on the door jam about tire sizes , but I would almost bet the tire size front and rear may have been  different from the factory to compensate the different ratios front and rear , and might venture a guess it was for steering improvement ,  much like the Honda 300 4wd  is , different ratios and different tire sizes  -----and would guess larger tires and maybe because of running the same diameter tires ( 40s ) created  the problem of wearing transfer case chains out quick , but you never know , I remember the guy I got it from was into mods and it might not have even been the original transfer case cause his wife's dad owned a junk yard in New Orleans , this makes me remember his wife's 4wd truck , it was bad to the bone -  she was wild and could drive her truck  thru the mud better than most guys back then 

Here is a good read on the 1976 F250 HighBoy Camper Special , it had the 350 suspension under it , leaf springed front end , it was a tank ----this article just says 4.10 ratio , but it was 4.09 in the front cause I blew it up once and never found a good used one , so went to Ford for the ring and pinion  , I see it  was outfitted  with different transfer cases depending on the engine size , the one I had was a 360 4 speed full time 4wd --------  was looking for factory tire sizes , but never found them  yet 

https://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1404-1976-ford-f-250-highboy-backward-glances/

• Like 1

The New Process 203 was used in GM, Ford, and Dodge through the 70's behind auto and manual transmissions. They were originally a full time 4wd 'case, meaning all 4 tires receive power at all times. This was made possible through use of a open differential in the back of the 203 that let the front and rear drive shafts turn at different speeds as just as a diff in an axle lets each axle shaft turn at a different speed. For off road use, the 203 had a "lock" position in which the differential was locked making the front and rear outputs spin at the same speed. Shift positions are: High, Lo, High Lock, Low Lock and Neutral.

A popular modification to the 203 was to install a "part time" kit to eliminate the differential. In this configuration the 203 operates like more conventional transfer cases in that it's either in 2wd or 4wd and when in 4wd the power is evenly split from front to rear.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Wilson , nice info , I never knew they was a conversion kit for the full time transfer case , that would have been a good mod ----that 203 looks like a gear driven /no chain unit 

Man I miss it , I used to love to ride  4wd trucks , I was obsessed with it , but we had the ultimate place to ride for years , land that was in the Stennis Space Center Buffer Zone , clear water creeks / white sand beaches , pipelines and trails with black slop , camped out and partied all weekend , sometimes in the summer  it was crowded like Mardi Gras with trucks , 3 wheelers and atvs passing by like a parade , going in and out the creek  , Picyuanne / Kiln  was the moon shine capital back then , them local boys would hook us up ,  we drank gallons of white lightning out a plastic milk jug straight and chased it down with 16oz Budwiser ---- remember having a piece of plywood and a ski rope tied to the back of the 3 wheeler and riding the board along the waters edge of the beaches 35mph , some spots the water being 1 inch deep and some times on the packed sand it's self  , amazing I am still walking , LOL 

Like all good things like Catahoula Creek  had to come to an end , land got closed off for hunting leases because of Stupid People ----- heard that the hunting clubs sell a ride pass nowdays ,  for the off hunt season so people can ride , but  there are rules that make it not much fun 

• Like 2

theoretically speaking;; count you accomplish the same thing with constant 4-whell drive, by having the front tires slightly larger, in front [maybe with better traction], as having two differentials of slightly different size?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CamKnouff said:

Yes, but surprisingly it is a little known knowledge by many. 

1st i ever heard of it....

On 1/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, Fishfiles said:

Occupational Safety and Health Administration 

Oh ! HAppened; as you messed up

• Haha 3

Yall are getting way too complicated here.  KISS

Dana 300 transfer case, all gears, no chain.  Lock out hubs on the front axle. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yall are getting way too complicated here.  KISS

Dana 300 transfer case, all gears, no chain.  Lock out hubs on the front axle. 

My point exactly buddy... Auto locking centre diff (viscous) or manual locking. All gears, no chains...

Land Rover got it right from day one... About the only thing they got right though ! 😂😂