Fishfiles

Classic / Hot Rods / Trucks

On 11/1/2023 at 12:57 AM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

@ATC4ever ever seen anything like that ? I know I haven't...id like to have that just to have something that rare..... like the original silicone iron camel hump 375 horse GM heads. 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@ATC4ever ever seen anything like that ? I know I haven't...id like to have that just to have something that rare..... like the original silicone iron camel hump 375 horse GM heads. 

No..lol.. safe to say it didnt catch on, bad enough trying to tune 4 bike carbs let alone 5 car ones 😮 

• Like 1

I thought I’d post some before and after pics of my 78. My dad bought it new, and it was my first truck. Chevy k10 short bed, 350 and sm465 four speed. He and I tore it apart, repaired the rust and repainted it. It was my primary truck for a few years until I bought a crew cab for the growing family. It was sitting at my house not being driven so I asked him to haul it to his house where it could be under a shed. On the way home, he rear ended a dump truck and totaled his truck, my truck, and the trailer. This happened last December and I just now feel like starting to work on it again. The white crew cab is what he was driving. It’s a miracle he lived, because he wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5328.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5577.jpeg

IMG_5591.jpeg

• Like 3

That particular model 4x4 k model 10 (grany low four speed / free wheel lockout hubs) was a rare animal here... ive lived here all my life (tn) i only saw one... k10 short...actually... it was a mint green k1500 gmc... does yours have the 205 transfer case as well ?  I believe Jeep also likes those square body models.. me myself had a lwb white... 350 4wd,  grany low four trans, 205 t-case...i put camper specail spring under the back end.. for 5th wheels (goosenecks) 4:56 gears.. n the transmission i replaced with one that came out of a one ton wrecker 6.2 diesel... the defrence between the gas version 4 speed verses the diesel four speed was a big gearing change... but did nothing for gas milage... 

Yea gas mileage wasn’t really a thing when these trucks were built. Mine has the 205 transfer case as well. I’m hoping that nothing in the drivetrain was damaged in the accident. My truck actually came off the trailer and landed on the rear of my dad’s truck, that’s  what bent the frame on mine. I’m going to my dad’s Friday for thanksgiving, going to take a battery and see if she’ll crank and move under her own power. Might even start tearing it down to see what we need to do to fix it. As it sits it has brand new shocks, ball joints and tie rod ends. I put a ton of parts and time into it before I parked it.

Edited by bigcountry78
  • Like 1

Ya.... your right, back then gas wasnt....so high, well that is when you think about it now... lol! Heck i recall when it was 1.75 (if i recall right)  a gallon...yet people complained even then it was WAY high....lol!.... aaaanyways.... i was thinking about what you  said drivetrain damage, n i did remeber my grandfather had a 4x4 k20 3/4 ton white lwb 350 plant, granny low four speed 205 t-case and gave it to my father for use as a fuel truck.... we used it to haul tools parts and red diesel (high sulfer tax free farm fuel) .... that truck would slip the clutch if you looked at it side ways... lol! Ended up being the imput shaft on the transmission... the end that goes into the pilot bearing in the fly wheel had snapoed off... it had never been wrecked, and noone could come up with any idea how that happened, BUT! that truck was a very rare truck... what im getting at it, it was very strong right from the factory, but it was a plain jane custom delux ... no air.. but had heat..someone said they thought because it was so torqy.. that might have been the reason.. i dont know myself, but i know we had a old co-op c-65 366 cid industrail engine.. 5+2 drivetrain....we couldnt keep drive shafts in that beast... it would twist them right out...but it wasnt used enough later on to ... justify spending the money to beef up a heavy driveline..good luck and im tuned for this project you have going on. 

• Like 1

lol, thank you. This one is a plain Jane as well, no ac and was ordered with no radio. My dad was cheap in his younger days. The the only extras he got were 4 wheel drive, 350 engine with dual exhaust, and he got the off road tire package which was 10.00-15 Goodyear all terrains and the 8 inch wide steel wheels instead of the more common 6.5 inch wheels. At one point he had it lifted with 14-36.5-15 tires and wagon wheels, but we removed the lift, put 31x10.50-15’s on it and I scoured the internet for months until I lucked out and found the correct wheels again.

• Like 2

Oh yeah... ha! Yep!  No radio, just cubbyhole... for red man chewing bacca, and grain weight tickets..... n your pops got duel exhaust from the factory? Never heard of that less it was a 6.2 diesel ...My pops had the rare 16.5 rims  back then they didnt offer many good mud grips in those size tires, but ill post a pic of one the most popular tread pattern mud grips the co-op carried.(soon as i locat one) . of corse they were so good they (like akways) stopped making them...best i recall was co-op grip spur lt-15 or close to that designation....did he get hydroboost braks or vacume boosted ? Hydroboost ... works with fluid pressure... via the power stearing pump, one of the reasons they started that was because a diesel... wont operate a vacume type brake booster.. without a built in vacume pump... our 80 model chevy one ton flat bed dump.. came with hydroboost, but also came with a 350... he ordered that truck from gm.. cab n frame.... 400 trans 205 10.5 ring n pinion rear, 9 (i think) 3/4 front ring n pinion, both were clutch type locking rear ends, and that front king pin heavy axle .. was also chosen by dodge when the first cummins powered units came off the line...... our cummins powered 4x4 dodge has the same front chunk, but its engaged... a defrent way, doesnt have free wheel hubs...thats a mistake in my books... if a person has a fwd... they should realize free wherl hubs are the only way to go... its dumb.. to have all the drivelive ware... plus the years of paying extra for gas... n ive had a front driveline fly out... i dont ever want to have happen again....thats actully caused truck accidents...a few years back a lady was driving down the road and a thrown (free) driveshaft... out of a passing truck... struck her windshield ... n get this... in nascar.. not too many people know why the Earnhardt bar came about...a single t-joint from another car.. ether went through his front window, or smashed it... that happened when it was winston cup, n not nascar..... dales pit crew commented on how angry he was over that one...lol... hince the Earnhardt bar was born. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Yep, duals from the factory. Still had the factory style exhaust hangers on both sides, but the accident tore everything loose. Got the rear bumper and bed off today. Passenger side frame rail bent at the trailer hitch and the driver’s side bent at the shock mount. Dad thinks we can straighten the frame, but I’m not sure we could ever get it close to “right”. It’ll be a project for another time. It’s at his house now and I live 2 hours away so it’s hard to find time to get down there and work on it.

And, he just bought a 97 or so GM 1500, single cab short bed for cheap because it took a swim in a pond. Going to try to get it running again and buy it from him to haul my rancher around. It’s a 4x4 too, with 145k on the odometer. Body is a little rough, but nothing too terrible.

IMG_5943.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_5946.jpeg

IMG_5947.jpeg

• Like 1

@bigcountry78 you gotta fix that for sure.

Dad bought this 83 new from my grandfather (his father in law) who owned the local GMC dealership until the late 80's.

305, SM465, limited slip, AM/FM radio, and AC.  That was it.  I wish he'd gotten 4wd because I've been stuck in this truck A LOT over the years. 

It sat up for years when I lived on the other side of the state.  He threw a rock through the back glass with a mower, pulled it around back, and parked it with a tarp over it.

Has a little rust in the rockers, but only has 40K miles on it.   Had dead battery, seized starter, bad water pump, and 4 rotted tires on it when I moved back home. 

Now I pretty much drive it to the cardboard dump and back, and that's it.  This was a full load of mulch from walmarts on clearance.  I don't use it much, but certainly not getting rid of it.

truck.jpg

• Like 2

Are you taking it to a body and frame shop for the frame, or are youll going old school ? Diy ? Cant say ive ever delt with bent frames but rusted out.... oh yeah... i put a frame under a 81 toyota diesel ...actually about 3/4 of a frame... people told me it would draw to one side while its being welded, there for it would dog leg ... down the road, but nope... tracked perfectly... hauled (over loaded) firewood for years, im with jeep she needs fixing.... but just be glad its not a box frame...ive heard those aren't easy to straighten at all... and are bad about rusting out depending on the life the vehicke has lived (mud muck etc) most dont know those frames need to be washed out...for example there a fellow here in the forums thats got a 300 fwd with frame (tube rust from the inside due to mud and gunk being left in) 

• Like 1

No frame shop for this one, it’ll be done old school with some weight and a torch. Maybe a floor jack for good measure. It’ll be me and my dad fixing it again. We repaired all the rust and repainted it about 6 years ago, I guess we’ll add a frame repair to the list. I have another frame I can swap in, but we’re going to try to fix this one first to keep from going through the trouble of swapping frames.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Now I pretty much drive it to the cardboard dump and back, and that's it.  This was a full load of mulch from walmarts on clearance.  I don't use it much, but certainly not getting rid of it.

That's quiet a load of mulch, jeep, your not getting your pops hoarding habit are you ? Oh never mind ....... i see the word > clearance < when's the next time oil goes on ? I figure your the one to ask....... just so happens that color is the same color paint as the cab on our 80 c & c 4x4 dump bed, chose that color cause he didn't think it would show dirt bad... cause she WASN'T going to be washed much being her plans were farm use..... looks like yours has the wider rims too...those types were always rare here, and the covers ? Back in the day they were like gold.(couldnt keep them) especaily the fwd freewheel front end covers i had a set that sprouted legs and walked off....lol

Edited by _Wilson_™

@ATC4ever youve posted a few times about going to car shows... figured you might like this video.... ive never seen this one before... but i recognized ..... some old school steel... long video... but well worth it.....

• Like 1

This belongs to a kid who graduated last year with my middle kid.  His family farms, row crops and cattle.  The dad put both his boys to work when they were 5-6 years old, and the one who graduated with my kid just wants to be a truck driver.  Not just any truck driver either, a vintage 70's truck driver.  He has that long nose Pete, complete with the chrome "reclining babe" emblems in appropriate places, wears clothes straight out of the late 70's, and has a 100 running lights on the thing. 

Weighs about 90 pounds soaking wet too.

stivers.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet!.....old school flat top sleeper......  eh he could gross over a hundred thousand.. and with stacks that diameter shell thump the ground like distant rolling thunder...low tone for a long hood .... whats in the engine room ? 425B cat ?  Ive drove this one a few times, belongs to a good friend of mine... i never did like those high top sleepers (like This one posted has).. nor wind fairing or wind dams.... that trucks grossed well over 100,000 lbs..... and the b model cat can shag ! with it...

IMG_8859.PNG

52 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Sweet!.....old school flat top sleeper......  eh he could gross over a hundred thousand.. and with stacks that diameter shell thump the ground like distant rolling thunder...low tone for a long hood .... whats in the engine room ? 425B cat ?  Ive drove this one a few times, belongs to a good friend of mine... i never did like those high top sleepers (like This one posted has).. nor wind fairing or wind dams.... that trucks grossed well over 100,000 lbs..... and the b model cat can shag ! with it...

IMG_8859.PNG

No idea.   He's a good kid though.  He and his dad are on a trip now to haul loads of hay to the Texas panhandle where the fires have hurt so many farmers.

• Like 1