Bossdaddy

Help on 1985 Honda Big Red ATC250ES

A friend brought a Big Red by for me to look at and see If I could help him out. It will run but poorly, leaks fuel not only at overflow hose and seems the throttle cable is sticky and don't work smoothly and respond quick. Where do I find a rebuild kit for the carb and new throttle cable. I will even buy a carb if I could find one. Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Shindy kit from Rocky Mtn ATV

Probably will have good luck on Ebay for throttle cable.

• Like 2

Thanks THH never messed with one but thought I would try and help him out. I'll check and see what I can find.

• Like 1

Throttle cable is probably still good, they was made back then (nothing like the 70s but still better than today). The throttle plunger is probably gummed up in the carb since they are still all manual on those. I would start with a good carb cleaning and then go from there.

• Like 1

Thanks Fishfiles, toodeep, it will still operate, it's just slow, I think I can get it working right. I do appreciate all the other options I have, thanks guys.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bossdaddy said:

it will still operate, it's just slow

You say it is slow ???   Maybe someone messed with the throttle cable adjustment so kids could ride a little  more safely or installed the cable improperly 

I say slow, what I mean is slow to respond. I can push to accelerate, let off and it come back to normal real slow. So naturally engine comes back to idle slowly.

I pulled the carburetor off and the throttle cable is fine, free and smooth. The carb. is like sticky in all operations. I've ordered a rebuild kit for it. I believe it will build good and work out good for him.

• Like 1

Boiling in lemon juice works pretty good on carbs, but an overnight soak in Berrymans is better.

2 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

I pulled the carburetor off and the throttle cable is fine, free and smooth. The carb. is like sticky in all operations. I've ordered a rebuild kit for it. I believe it will build good and work out good for him.

That was my guess. If you took the throttle slide out/apart use just a little loctite on the those screws when going back together. In the past I have found a few sitting on top of pistons or holding a valve open. It's not common but can happen. If your not familiar with that style of carb you also need to check the throttle timing (butterfly and throttle plunger open at the same time) when going together.

• Like 1

I forgot and never finished this thread, sorry. I rebuilt the carb, it was really dirty, it cleaned up good. It fired up nicely and with very little adjustment it ran like a new one, the guy is happy, and it didn't cost him much. No leaks and plenty of power, brought back a lot of memories. I tried to buy it, like I need it, lol. Thanks again guys

• Like 4