jeepwm69

06 500 Foreman FM (footshift) quit on me this morning

Ran out this morning to knock out beaver dams.  On the way back I decided to ride the highway (was running late) and see how much the GR I put in affected the top end.  When I hit about 40MPH it sputtered a little, so I eased off, then got back on it.  It got up to about 45, sputtered a little again, backfired, and then died.  I coasted to a stop.

It will start and idles fine, but when I try to rev it up it dies.  I'm thinking trash in petcock or carb.  Anyone have any other ideas I should look at after work?

My first guess would be a shot of water / trash in the carb >>>>   been sitting up ?? condensation !!!! --- 

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ran out this morning to knock out beaver dams.  On the way back I decided to ride the highway (was running late) and see how much the GR I put in affected the top end.  When I hit about 40MPH it sputtered a little, so I eased off, then got back on it.  It got up to about 45, sputtered a little again, backfired, and then died.  I coasted to a stop.

It will start and idles fine, but when I try to rev it up it dies.  I'm thinking trash in petcock or carb.  Anyone have any other ideas I should look at after work?

It helps to have the Model number   with the post , so we know what your working on !!!!! LOL 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

It helps to have the Model number   with the post , so we know what your working on !!!!! LOL 

Doh!  Rookie mistake.

33 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

My first guess would be a shot of water / trash in the carb >>>>   been sitting up ?? condensation !!!! --- 

Yeah, been sitting, but gas tank was full and it was recently filled with fresh gas.

I think I need to pull the petcock and see if it's flowing well.  Check the filter and see if it flows.

check the throttle sensor ( more like the tps ), i see it has one, maybe bad ?, dirty ?., leaking air ?.

• Like 1

on a quick glance and the title..... before you cbanged it to what it is now, i thought someone in your family or a friend passed away, i was...... what the heck ? thank you for changing the title...... i may sound morbid, but what happened to my sister..... has made me single out certain words.... just thought i would thank you for changing the title.

Bad choice of words on my part given what a few of our group here have gone through recently.  Sorry about that guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep pull the fuel line off and check flow, my Rancher plugged and did that. Check your spark plug for a chunk of carbon stuck on the tip, also open the drain on the bottom of your carb and catch the fuel in a clear bottle and look for it to separate. If you have a small amount of water in the bowl, your main jet sits lower in the carb than the pilot jet so could be why it idles but dies when you try to rev. If none of these are it I would pull the main jet and see if its plugged. 

• Like 1

Got home yesterday, went out and tried to crank it.  It would still crank but not rev.  That tells me it's not a partially clogged petcock, as even a minor trickle of fuel would have filled up the carb bowl in the 8-9 hours between when I left it and when I messed with it again.

Got some starter fluid, put a shot in the intake, and of course it would very briefly rev fine doing that, so I did the old redneck carb clean where you rev it up and slap your hand over the intake, with the intent being the suction from the engine will pull whatever trash is blocking the jet through and blow it out through the head.  After 2-3 times of doing that, it started, ran, and revved like it should.  Success!

Not so fast. 

Put the little one on there, headed out to check on the beaver dams.  Got to the end of the driveway and it sputtered and quit again.  Same thing.  Will start fine and idle fine, but no rev.  My guess is I have a bit of trash in the bowl that gets sucked up blocking the jet, and that I dislodged it slapping my hand over the intake and messing with it, but then when I started driving it again the trash got sucked up against the jet again.

So I pushed it back to the house, put the little one on a different wheeler, and left the Foreman for the weekend.

Going to pull the carb, flush it out, and add a filter on the fuel line from the tank to the carb, but will be the weekend before I can get to it.

Well I just ran out to check the beaver dams on the kid’s 300.  

Guess what?  It’s doing the same thing.

So now I’m thinking @Fishfiles might have been right that I have put some gas in these things that had water in it.

Going to drain the tanks and put some fresh in and see if anything changes 

• Like 1

Yesterday I decided to pull the carb off of my 09 Foreman, swap it onto the 06.  Got that done, and moved the fuel tank from the 09 to the 06 as well. 

The 09 has a bad wrist pin rattle and I have a rebuilt engine with a 15%GR already rebuilt and ready to install, so figured I'd rob the carb off of it since I know it works/runs perfectly.

The 06 fired up, revved fine, and idled fine.  This morning I rode it out to the farm to knock out beaver dams, and when I get on the throttle it starts missing/cutting out over about 1/2 throttle. 

Since I knew this carb and tank/fuel supply was good, no clogged jets,  water in the gas etc, I wondered if it might be starving for air.  Took the lid off the air box and it revs all the way up with no problems. 

Machine is snorkeled, but it's been snorkeled for a couple of years with no issues, so not sure why it's started acting up now. 

I'm going to check the air filter after work.  Any other ideas?

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yesterday I decided to pull the carb off of my 09 Foreman, swap it onto the 06.  Got that done, and moved the fuel tank from the 09 to the 06 as well. 

The 09 has a bad wrist pin rattle and I have a rebuilt engine with a 15%GR already rebuilt and ready to install, so figured I'd rob the carb off of it since I know it works/runs perfectly.

The 06 fired up, revved fine, and idled fine.  This morning I rode it out to the farm to knock out beaver dams, and when I get on the throttle it starts missing/cutting out over about 1/2 throttle. 

Since I knew this carb and tank/fuel supply was good, no clogged jets,  water in the gas etc, I wondered if it might be starving for air.  Took the lid off the air box and it revs all the way up with no problems. 

Machine is snorkeled, but it's been snorkeled for a couple of years with no issues, so not sure why it's started acting up now. 

I'm going to check the air filter after work.  Any other ideas?

I would guess the two carbs have different jets , the 2009 shows only one carb VE6DAB ,  the 2006 shows two possible carbs , the VE6DAB or VE6DAA the main jet is different on the 2006 VE6DAA --- could be the problem   ---

take a rag , fold it twice , tap it over the snorkel hole , run it , see if it is better , if not fold the rag 4 times and do it again , that will tell you if the jet is wrong 

• Like 1

If I even put my hand up close to the snorkel hole it would start sputtering. 

Are you saying cover the snorkel hole with something like a blue shop towel doubled over?

If you can run something through the snorkel to make sure something didn't try to nest in it. Also the vent line on the gas cap if you haven't tested that already.

• Like 1

Ran this one again this afternoon. Took the vent lines off and blew through the T and it killed the engine. Fired right back up though.

Ran some water down through the snorkel and it came out full force in the air box (had the drain cap off the bottom lol)

Choke seems to work fine so I don’t think it’s a choke issue.  

Since it runs perfectly fine with the airbox lid off, does that mean it’s running rich with the lid on and the additional air evens out the fuel air mixture?

Not getting enough air. 

I had 2” running all the way to the riser, and had a 1.5” riser (because the front fender I used already had the snorkel riser installed).

Yesterday I just pulled the riser off, and it revved all the way out with no problem.

So looks like a 2” riser will hopefully fix it up. 

It is weird that the old engine ran fine with the 1.5 riser, but it’s definitely a lack of air causing the problem.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Not getting enough air. 

I had 2” running all the way to the riser, and had a 1.5” riser (because the front fender I used already had the snorkel riser installed).

Yesterday I just pulled the riser off, and it revved all the way out with no problem.

So looks like a 2” riser will hopefully fix it up. 

It is weird that the old engine ran fine with the 1.5 riser, but it’s definitely a lack of air causing the problem.

are the carb jets diff by any chance from any other trx500 ?.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, shadetree said:

are the carb jets diff by any chance from any other trx500 ?.

They show a 162 and 170 jets available for both years.  Both of these were factory carbs, both have always run fine.

I put the snorkel on 4-5 years ago.  Ran fine afterwards.

Then I put a rebuilt engine in and the problems started.

Going to try to get the new 2" riser put in today or tomorrow.  Bike runs great with the 1.5in riser removed.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

They show a 162 and 170 jets available for both years.  Both of these were factory carbs, both have always run fine.

I put the snorkel on 4-5 years ago.  Ran fine afterwards.

Then I put a rebuilt engine in and the problems started.

Going to try to get the new 2" riser put in today or tomorrow.  Bike runs great with the 1.5in riser removed.

and now you know why i leave my toys all stock !..lol.

• Like 1