Hondacowboy

New member old Honda

New here from another forum. It was suggested I sign up here since there are a lot of members from another forum here too. I have a 93 Honda TRX300FW and getting ready to do the front brake disc conversion since my front drum cylinders are rusted up and the brakes dragging. I already managed to force one drum off and it took quite a few censor words. I'm not going to bother with the rear as I abandoned them a few year ago and it would cost another $229 to do them too. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Welcome 'cowboy , I hope you enjoy yourself ---- pick a category and start a thread about your disc conversion or call it a build , there is no rear disc conversion for a 300 yet 

welcome to the group cowboy...you should get lots of reply's for your job...lots of 300' owner here.......I try to keep mine stock, i have a 99-450es..i don't know about running with just one set of brakes?????? in colorado that will get u killed fast....we have some steep down hills and long too... best of luck😀

Thanks fishfiles. I am still in the planing stage of this project and taking it as I have time. We moved from a farm to a 1 acre tract in the country so my little red machine isn't as critical as it was back there. I Have to buy a ball joint splitter because pressure and a hammer didn't shock the taper loose. That's a first for me, I always was able to shock the taper loose on my old cars and truck. I'm going to replace my boots while I'm at it. I orderes a set off eBay a few years back but never tackled the project.

3 minutes ago, Derf40 said:

in colorado that will get u killed fast....we have some steep down hills and long too... best of luck😀

Thanks for the response Derf40. I'm down here in flat land East Texas and don't go mountain climbing with this machine. I've always used it to work in the "Back 40" on the fences and herding the cows. We got out of that and downsized to 1 acre and about all I use it for anymore is running the dog.

Hey HC welcome to your new home, bet I know what forum you came from...as did many...

5 minutes ago, Hondacowboy said:

I Have to buy a ball joint splitter because pressure and a hammer didn't shock the taper loose. That's a first for me, I always was able to shock the taper loose on my old cars and truck. 

I bought a cheap ball joint splitter for Harbor Freight and that one  didn't work out too well  for me -------  I stick a big bar in between the a-arm and the knuckle and get some pressure on it then hit it with a hammer and have better success hitting the side where the taper is held in , then hitting the knuckle or a-arm down 

Is this the type of ball joint splitter you were referring to ---this is the one I mentioned didn't work so well for me 

fullsizeoutput_188.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f3.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome to our site! Lots of great people to help out! You will love having disc brakes! One of if not the best mod a 300 can have!

• Like 2

Welcome Honda cowboy! Ya anywhere near Henderson, Tyler or Longview?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I bought a cheap ball joint splitter for Harbor Freight and that one  didn't work out too well  for me -------  I stick a big bar in between the a-arm and the knuckle and get some pressure on it then hit it with a hammer and have better success hitting the side where the taper is held in , then hitting the knuckle or a-arm down 

I had a scissor jack between the upper and lower arms applying pressure between them while whacking the side of the knuckle and then hitting downward using a punch and hammer. All to no avail. I was always successful breaking the joints loose on my old cars and my tuck using just the coils spring pressure and  rapping the side of the knuckle to breaker the taper loose. I'll see if I can get a bar in there and apply pressure. If that don't work I'll waste money on a splitter as last resort. Thanks Fishfiles

12 hours ago, retro said:

Ya anywhere near Henderson, Tyler or Longview?

Not real close. We're actually in the South East part of the Big Thicket about 30 miles East of Cleveland and 30 SE of Livingston. Thank you for the welcome.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Welcome to our site! Lots of great people to help out! You will love having disc brakes! One of if not the best mod a 300 can have!

That's what I'm hearing here and hope I get it done before I die LOL. Thanks for the welcome

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hondacowboy said:

That's what I'm hearing here and hope I get it done before I die LOL. Thanks for the welcome

please start a thread in the utility section, and we can get you rolling in no time !.

• Like 2

Hi, I am a new member. I switched over from another forum and I recognize quite a few names. I don't post much. I don't consider myself an ATV expert but I do have a fair amount of experience in keeping my old '02 Rancher 4x4 up and running. I am a retired auto technology teacher and former instructor for American Honda (auto), Hence, my penchant for Honda products. Everything I own, from my weed whacker on up, has a Honda engine in it. 

I am very appreciative of the knowledge and experience I have learned from all of you 

• Like 1

Welcome to this new site, why don't ya start a new thread in the new members area so you get a proper welcome.....