Hz_350

350 rancher centrifugal clutch bearing

Bit of an odd 1

I was repacing the 1 way bearing today n my rancher, i had to knock them together which i thought was odd and the 2 halves locked up. I suspected this was wrong but put it all back together, started it, put it in gear and you guess it locked up. 

Took it all back apart which is a pain getting the front shaft off. Took got the bearing out. Spent a long time looking at it and measuring and finally worked out that 1 of the lobes of the bearing was fitted backwards. I only noticed because of the little lines on them 1 didnt match. This was a genuine honda bearing. Once i flipped it around all is good. 

Anyone else come across this ?

20220410_154955.jpg

April Fool’s joke? I put on my glasses and still couldn’t get focused on your pic!

lol jk 

no I couldn’t tell what you mean. Better pic, maybe point out which you mean?

6 hours ago, Hz_350 said:

Bit of an odd 1

I was repacing the 1 way bearing today n my rancher, i had to knock them together which i thought was odd and the 2 halves locked up. I suspected this was wrong but put it all back together, started it, put it in gear and you guess it locked up. 

Took it all back apart which is a pain getting the front shaft off. Took got the bearing out. Spent a long time looking at it and measuring and finally worked out that 1 of the lobes of the bearing was fitted backwards. I only noticed because of the little lines on them 1 didnt match. This was a genuine honda bearing. Once i flipped it around all is good. 

Anyone else come across this ?

20220410_154955.jpg

from the pic ^^ , i see all the lines matching, on bottom side of lobe.

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

from the pic ^^ , i see all the lines matching, on bottom side of lobe.

Haha yea i only took a pic after i turned it around. It was a pain in the ! to work out though

18 hours ago, Goober said:

April Fool’s joke? I put on my glasses and still couldn’t get focused on your pic!

lol jk 

no I couldn’t tell what you mean. Better pic, maybe point out which you mean?

When the rollers i guess you would call them arnt round so they lock up 1 way spin the other. When you take the spring off they can all come out 1 of them was around the wrong way making it so the bearing was locking up both ways

So what do you guess happened ? 

Maybe  the bearing missed quality control and came out the factory assembled wrong  ???

Was that OEM or aftermarket ?

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

So what do you guess happened ? 

Maybe  the bearing missed quality control and came out the factory assembled wrong  ???

Was that OEM or aftermarket ?

No idea mate. It was a genuine bearing i got from honda last year in a packet.just assembled wrong i guess. Happy i found it but. I bought it nearly 12 months from a dealer an hour away

2 hours ago, Hz_350 said:

No idea mate. It was a genuine bearing i got from honda last year in a packet.just assembled wrong i guess. Happy i found it but. I bought it nearly 12 months from a dealer an hour away

keep this in mind for future reference, there will be a time when a one-way bearing for your model will discontinue one side or the other ?, not a problem !. simply buy the side that still can be bought, flip the bearings around, use it on the bad side !.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, shadetree said:

keep this in mind for future reference, there will be a time when a one-way bearing for your model will discontinue one side or the other ?, not a problem !. simply buy the side that still can be bought, flip the bearings around, use it on the bad side !.

I think i read this from you on the other forum which kinda gave me the clue. So thanks 

Sometimes during shipping and handling a few of the "balls" will come out of place since they are just held in with that weak spring. It happens every now and then.