Why is .30 carbine and most 30 cal am so hard to get even back in 2019 it was near impossible to buy, anyone know why?

30 Carbine just isn't a popular caliber but know .308 was very easy to get up until March 2020.

Lots of choices in .308 and .223 these days. 
ammo prices about $35 to $60 a box for rifle.

remington tipped corelokt about the lowest price; federal premium about $60.

i saw several boxes of .30 carbine the other day. Gone this week 

Edited by Goober

11 hours ago, Shady_Redneck said:

Why is .30 carbine and most 30 cal am so hard to get even back in 2019 it was near impossible to buy, anyone know why?

Midway sold a bunch of carbines last year, so all those new owners were buying ammo for them.  Carbines have gotten very popular in the last few years, and thus prices for guns and ammo are both up.

You also have to consider that most ammo manufacturing lines do a run in a particular caliber, and then they have to stop the line to retool.  With people hoarding and panic buying due to the anti-gun commies in office, the production lines are most likely churning out 5.56, 9mm, and other "bulk" calibers.  While 30 carbine has become much more popular, 5.56 will still dwarf carbine ammo when it comes to demand.  I recall several years ago with 380 was ! near impossible to find because all the production then was going to 9mm.

Biggest problem now I think is hoarding.  People don't trust .gov these days at all, so they're buying as much of it as they can, as opposed to 20 years ago with most would stop by Walmart on the way to the range, buy a box of ammo, shoot it at the range that day, and not have anything at home.

yep.. I remember the 380 thing as well, as that is my primary "every day" carry gun...old 1980s Colt Mustang.

but keeping a couple hundred rounds of it is enough since it's not a range gun.. I might run 50 rds through it in a year...whereas any given saturday on 9mm is seeing a couple hundred.

I made sure a few years back to grab those items that tend to disappear...16ga for my Dad's old winchester model12   and some Lever-evolution 30-30 for the old model 94.

other than some 39spl for my yard work snake gun... I standardized so I'm able to get 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x51, 12ga, 45acp.

I sat on it for a year or so until I could start seeing prices getting closer to reasonable.

but I've been able to buy Blazer 9mm for $15 (no tax or shipping) and PMC X-tax 5.56 for $9.99/box of 20...not the most accurate, but good enough for zombie plinkin.

most stores still want 30% more than these prices for the same exact brand...and some places are more like 40% more...they can keep it.

As for "hoarding".. i guess...  when I used to train a lot...a 500rd saturday was normal...so having a thousand rds in the closet wasn't hoarding.

but over the years...different politicals etc gave me cause to buy more ammo...little at a time...so it wasn't an impact on market availability.

I'm not saying I've got 5k rounds of 9mm for example... but if I do...most of it was bought when it was $10/box not $22 in panic times.

I buy now, for what I want to shoot at the range...not to stock for zombie times...that supply was long ago stacked deep.

• Like 2