wheelsquad

Aftermarket Starter Motors

My 2004 TRX400FA (yeah the turd rancher hondamatic 400AT) needs a new starter motor. OEM is north of $400 from partzilla and rmatvmc wants $360. I've found aftermarket models as low as $48. With that crazy difference, pretty sure I'll go aftermarket. Any of you guys have any particular aftermarket brands that you've had good luck with? 

Edited by wheelsquad
typos

+3 for d&b electrical, use them all the time, great starters.

Is your starter that bad that you can't rebuild it?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, toodeep said:

Is your starter that bad that you can't rebuild it?

I don't know if it's that bad inside, but I know my dexterity is too poor (nearly nonexistent) to be able to rebuild it. And the patience of my family members who have dexterity is also non-existent. So plopping in a new starter is our best option. 

• Like 2

If you have a local battery shop they might be able to rebuild it for you~$75 plus parts. They could install your OEM parts, replace the bushings and do any machining.

You will have 10X the starter if you can find a way to rebuild it. They are pretty simple once you get past the washers. The aftermarket starters will have exposed magnets and with enough heat and time they let loose and lock up the starter. The OEM one has a small metal sleeve that keeps the magnets in place even if they do let loose. I haven't take apart a DB starter to say for sure on that one but all the others I've seen was built that way.

I had a DB and oem apart. There was absolutely zero difference between them. Originally when i changed mine i planned on ordering a rebuild for my oem one to fix. After finding the commutator was actually cracked in a few places i took apart the DB to see if maybe the cracks were supposed to be there. I confirmed they were not lol. And found they were 100% identical inside. Besides the cracks that is. Im thinking all the jumping and hard trail riding i was doing actually caused the cracks. The bearings were so sloppy i think it was banging around inside. The magnets were also chipped and cracked in a few places also.

4 hours ago, Goober said:

If you have a local battery shop they might be able to rebuild it for you~$75 plus parts. They could install your OEM parts, replace the bushings and do any machining.

for 75 bucks or more ?, its cheaper to buy a starter from db electrical. most starter brushes cost as much as a whole starter..soo..why replace the brushes when you can buy a good decent starter with a decent warranty. i always replace the starter, cheaper this way. i replaced my starter in my '89 trx350D foreman over 10 yrs ago from db electrical, its still going strong today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wheelsquad said:

I don't know if it's that bad inside, but I know my dexterity is too poor (nearly nonexistent) to be able to rebuild it. And the patience of my family members who have dexterity is also non-existent. So plopping in a new starter is our best option.

Mail me the original starter and if it is repairable I'll fix it and mail it back to ya, no charge! And there'll be a ball bearing Excal trigger link in the return box. :-)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, retro said:

Mail me the original starter and if it is repairable I'll fix it and mail it back to ya, no charge! And there'll be a ball bearing Excal trigger link in the return box. 🙂

Looks like an offer you can't refuse @wheelsquad

• Haha 1

Great info guys. I ordered a DB that first night. Will definitely hang onto the original one in case the DB tanks. 

@retro  I'll keep that offer in mind. I won't bother you with the starter right away, this DB one should outlive the rest of Rancher if it gets half the life of the original one. I'm definitely still interested in the trigger link though.  I should show you the latest excal things I've done too.

• Like 2

I'll get started on a trigger link next week, I'll be in touch....

• Like 1

Got the new db starter in today. Along with a new engine sub-harness (one of the wires to the F position sensor was intermittently losing connection). Good thing we had to do them both at the same time too cause same parts had to be removed for access to do both jobs. 

That db starter sure seems stronger than the OEM starter. Has never fired up so fast. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, wheelsquad said:

Got the new db starter in today. Along with a new engine sub-harness (one of the wires to the F position sensor was intermittently losing connection). Good thing we had to do them both at the same time too cause same parts had to be removed for access to do both jobs. 

That db starter sure seems stronger than the OEM starter. Has never fired up so fast. 

good deal,  i use db elec alot for my starters, well worth the money.

Any of you guys that were of the opinion to rebuild want either of the OEM honda starters I had to replace this past year? 

one is off a 1985 TRX250 Utility, oem starters are no longer available. 

the other is this one off the 2004 TRX400FA. Partzilla wants $423 for a new one. 

Not sure if they are worth rebuilding or not for an easy flip and sell on fleabay, but figured I’d ask here before I scrap em. Will mail to anyone here that wants em. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wheelsquad said:

Any of you guys that were of the opinion to rebuild want either of the OEM honda starters I had to replace this past year? 

one is off a 1985 TRX250 Utility, oem starters are no longer available. 

the other is this one off the 2004 TRX400FA. Partzilla wants $423 for a new one. 

Not sure if they are worth rebuilding or not for an easy flip and sell on fleabay, but figured I’d ask here before I scrap em. Will mail to anyone here that wants em. 

! I'd keep the one you have for your 400.  They literally take 2 mins to get working again, if all that is needed is brushes.  I had to replace the brushes in this 450 I've been working on the other day.  Took me literally 2 mins (if you wanted to do it "right" and replace all the orings, end bearing, etc, it would take longer, but most of the time all that is needed is blowing it out with compressed air and slapping a new brush holder in there).

I don't have either model as a keeper, but I would definitely hold on to the 400 starter since that's what you ride.

• Like 2

I'd like to have a shot at fixing both of those starters for ya! Just sent ya text... :)

• Like 2