Big Bird

Can the TPS cause starting and shifting issues? 2006 Foreman ES

Only happened a couple times but it would not start. Turns over fine. Like it is out of fuel. After a couple attempts it fires up. Both times engine was cold. Also a couple times shift indicator was not lite up. No lashing lights (codes).

While cleaning it up and changing fluids. (Drained all old gas and drained carb) Noticed it has what looks like a aftermarket TPS. Flathead screws. I also had the shift motor out and cleaned all the old grease and put new grease in. Issue was doing it before I worked on it.

Is it worth just putting in a TPS and shift angle sensor OEM for good measure?

The TPS will throw an error code if it's out of whack.  I wouldn't mess with it if it's not throwing an error code.  Same with the angle sensor.  Machine will start with either of those throwing error codes, so that's not your "no start" problem.

You won't get spark if it can't tell what gear it's in.  For example, my 09 sometimes doesn't read 3rd gear.  I'm guessing it's a bad connection in the plug from the gear position switch, but for whatever reason when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, the 2 reads on the display, then it's just blank when I'm in 3rd.  It runs fine, but if you attempt to start it in 3rd with the blank display where the gear shows, you will not get spark.

The "couple of attempts it fires up" is strange though.  My kid's 300 does that from time to time.  I think it's carb related though.  If I shoot a shot of starter fluid in it cranks up and runs fine.  For some reason it does that sometimes when it sits for a long time.

Was the carb touched recently? Cause unless its all of the sudden lose, it shouldnt be the problem.

30 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Was the carb touched recently? Cause unless its all of the sudden lose, it shouldnt be the problem.

On my kid's 300 that occasionally does that, a squirt of gas or starter fluid in the intake and it will fire up.  Sometimes it stays running, sometimes I have to do it 3-4 times, and then once it's running it will start and run like a top until I let it sit again for more than a few days.

I need to fix the primer bulb on the carb, but not sure what's causing it.  The fact that it fires up immediately with a shot of gas in the intake tells me it's a fuel delivery problem though.

Wonder if my intake boot is iffy?  Runs great once it's going. 

24 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

On my kid's 300 that occasionally does that, a squirt of gas or starter fluid in the intake and it will fire up.  Sometimes it stays running, sometimes I have to do it 3-4 times, and then once it's running it will start and run like a top until I let it sit again for more than a few days.

I need to fix the primer bulb on the carb, but not sure what's causing it.  The fact that it fires up immediately with a shot of gas in the intake tells me it's a fuel delivery problem though.

Wonder if my intake boot is iffy?  Runs great once it's going. 

idle jet is dirty. the primer on these has nothing to do with why they wont start an idle. i don't know why honda put these primers on these ?, its not like it gets 50 below zero here ?, that is what they are for..very cold temps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Same reason they put carb heaters on the new ones.  The northerners need them and it's cheaper to make them all the same than to make them for different climates.

If the 300 sits for more than a few days it doesn't want to start without a shot of gas in the intake.  Once it cranks it usually runs fine after that.  Sometimes it takes more than one shot of gas to get it to keep running, but once it's going it runs like a top and will start fine until I let it sit again for more than a few days.

It idles fine once I get it where it will stay running.

On a Jeep I would say the float bowl is empty and needs the fuel pump to fill the bowl before it will stay running, but since these don't have a fuel pump and the bowl is gravity fed I'm not sure why it does what it does. 

Sounds like Big Bird is having a similar problem though, when his is cold. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Same reason they put carb heaters on the new ones.  The northerners need them and it's cheaper to make them all the same than to make them for different climates.

If the 300 sits for more than a few days it doesn't want to start without a shot of gas in the intake.  Once it cranks it usually runs fine after that.  Sometimes it takes more than one shot of gas to get it to keep running, but once it's going it runs like a top and will start fine until I let it sit again for more than a few days.

It idles fine once I get it where it will stay running.

On a Jeep I would say the float bowl is empty and needs the fuel pump to fill the bowl before it will stay running, but since these don't have a fuel pump and the bowl is gravity fed I'm not sure why it does what it does. 

Sounds like Big Bird is having a similar problem though, when his is cold. 

i'd day you got something going on with the carb ?, or fuel filling it ?. all honda's are cold natured, they do not like to sit. my '03 trx450fm can sit for days..weeks..months ?, i can go out there, turn the fuel on, operate the choke, she'll fire right up in no time. i used a shindy carb kit in it.

19 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i'd day you got something going on with the carb ?, or fuel filling it ?. all honda's are cold natured, they do not like to sit. my '03 trx450fm can sit for days..weeks..months ?, i can go out there, turn the fuel on, operate the choke, she'll fire right up in no time. i used a shindy carb kit in it.

Yeah I just haven't looked into it yet.  Once I get it started and running it runs like a top, and will start fine as long as it doesn't sit for more than a couple of days.

You put a Shindy kit into this one when you rebuilt the engine. 

I'm sure it's something simple.  Some of my Foremans are more cold natured than others.

That primer bulb might be for cold weather, but it sure helps starting one that's been sitting for a long time.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, jeepwm69 said:

You won't get spark if it can't tell what gear it's in.  For example, my 09 sometimes doesn't read 3rd gear.  I'm guessing it's a bad connection in the plug from the gear position switch, but for whatever reason when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, the 2 reads on the display, then it's just blank when I'm in 3rd.  It runs fine, but if you attempt to start it in 3rd with the blank display where the gear shows, you will not get spark.

OK. Thanks. I will keep an eye on the indicator. I think it was blank but not 100%.

It has not done it since I flushed out the tank and drained the carb. Might of been some water in the carb...

• Like 1